Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Chile work visa

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Meghcraw

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 4:32 pm    Post subject: Chile work visa Reply with quote

Hello all!

So I'm a university student here in the US, graduating in May, planning on moving to Chile to teach (Valpo/Vina) in June. I'll have a BS in Psychology, a BA in Spanish, and a TEFL certificate of 100 hours with a little teaching experience.
I have heard from some sources to find a job on a tourist visa and my employer will help me get a work visa; I have heard from other sources that I need to get my work visa while I'm here.
Any advice/experience would be GREATLY appreciated!

-Meghan
derekchile

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey,

So some advice:

There are a lot of institutes in ViƱa and a few in Valparaiso. The work here can be hard to come by. A lot of competition. Santiago is easy to find work and the pay is much better, but the life overall in Valparaiso is less stressful!

So the visa, first and foremost, bring you university documents and certify you diploma here in Chile, This way you can skip the first visa (Sujeto Contracto) and go right to Visa Honorario. The difference is with the first one you can only work from one place the second you can work for many places. Also many institutes say they will help you get your visa and its fine but dont tell extranjeria that you are working because its actually illegal. You need to get your permiso de trabajo before your visa.

It is probably much easier to enter chile and then get your visa because to get a visa you need a job offer or contract.

hope some of this info helps!
FCUM

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Once you get a job offer do you have to leave Chile to get the work visa or can it be obtained within the country?

I know for Mexico you have to leave which is troublesome. Is the visa process complicated? What documents do you need and do they need to be apostilled?
roadwalker

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unless things have changed in the last 3 or 4 years, no, you don't have to leave. There are some old threads here that explain the processes a little but basically you can have work permission that is employment based or one that is self-based.

I don't know about the second one but you should be able to arrive, find a job with a school/training center and with the documents that they provide you with, go to the government to get legal status, without leaving the country. It was a little complicated (to me with so-so Spanish) but not terribly so, and a good employer will be able to make it easier.

Yikes, make that five years! I have followed this forum though and haven't seen any changes. Contact some of the more well known employers to be sure though. Comunicorp, EF, Bridge and I'm sure I'm missing a couple of well-known employers. They will have the latest changes, if any.
FCUM

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great thanks for your help!

How much savings does one need to bring to get set up in Chile?
roadwalker

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 5:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FCUM wrote:
Great thanks for your help!

How much savings does one need to bring to get set up in Chile?

I'd suggest a return fare or a airfare to move on to another country at least, plus minimum one month of living. Actually two months. Chile (my limited experience was almost exclusively Santiago) isn't a cheap place to live. Read through the discussions here. With $2000 US plus return airfare, you could get in, get the lay of the land and find a job without too much pressure to find any job as opposed to a job you might like. I wouldn't bring all that in cash though. I assume you meant to bring an ATM card of some type. Rent isn't terribly low and food can be expensive too. Transportation is a bit pricey so a good rent can be negated by bus or subway trips.

on edit: Here's a thread with discussion of consumer costs from 2013.

http://forums.eslcafe.com/job/viewtopic.php?t=100830
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Chile All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: