Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

I would like to work in Malaysia
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Malaysia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheStudent

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 2:07 am    Post subject: I would like to work in Malaysia Reply with quote

Hi all,

I'm new to the TEFL industry, and am looking for some tips and advice on getting my foot in the door.

I'm a native English speaker from Canada with a B Comm. and am hoping to obtain a TEFL certificate in the near future..

I just a had a few, basic questions, and if anyone could point me in the right direction, it would be greatly appreciated.

NOTE: I do not mind working for a lesser salary as a newbie, nor do I mind working in remote or less desirable regions such a Kelantan. (In fact I probably prefer this to the big city life in places like KL)

1) Is prior teaching an absolute must when applying for work in Malaysia?

2) Would it be advisable to fly out to Malaysia and look for work in person? If so, what is the best time of year to do that?

3) I am debating enrolling in a 120 Hour Online TEFL program that includes an In-Class Practicum (http://www.ontesol.com/tefl-certificate/). Would this be sufficient for finding work in Malaysia?

4) Should I consider taking a TEFL Certification program in Malaysia, and look for work while I'm completing the course? If so, does any body know of any reputable courses, for somebody on a budget?

Any other tips of advise for a newbie trying to teach in Malaysia would be greatly appreciated...

Thank you for your time!
wailing_imam

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 3:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My tip is:

Forget Malaysia, and move to Indonesia. Indonesia is much more vibrant and culturally diverse than Malaysia and has a far greater range of jobs for TEFL newbies such as yourself.
tmac-100

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 5:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did a CELTA in Bangkok, Thailand recently. It was cheaper than in Malaysia, and of EXCELLENT quality. Bangkok is cost-effective for living as a student.

IH (my course) and several others offer the program and believe me, it is a 4 week grind. LOTS to do to complete the program, but you get supervised teaching lessons as well as plenty of practical handouts.

With the CELTA you will be well-positioned to find ESL work anywhere in Asia. Get it before you move to an ESL job that does not pay well, and for which you don't have much background...
adaruby

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wailing_imam wrote:
My tip is:

Indonesia is much more vibrant and culturally diverse than Malaysia.

Are you sure? Shocked
gloomyGumi

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

adaruby wrote:
wailing_imam wrote:
My tip is:

Are you sure? Shocked

yes he is and so am I. Very Happy
Hod

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I question this too and would have to ask for evidence of how Indonesia is more vibrant and culturally diverse. For the latter, Indonesia has ten times the population and six times the land mass of Malaysia, but this would hardly be noticeable by a TEFLer in Jakarta or Surabaya, would it? I also think one poster above bases his opinion on bad experiences in Malaysia rather than knowledge of Indonesia.
adaruby

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gloomyGumi wrote:
adaruby wrote:
wailing_imam wrote:
My tip is:

Are you sure? Shocked

yes he is and so am I. Very Happy

Well, Malaysia has the dominant Malay population and millions of Chinese and Indians, as well as more recent arrivals such as Bangladeshis, Nepalese, Burmese, Iranians, Vietnamese etc. Then you have Borneo, which is made up of many more (mostly Christian) ethnic groups.

Wiki has the current total of languages spoken in the country at 137 for Malaysia, and 700 for Indonesia. However, a little further research (thanks Wiki) states that 95% of ethnic groups in Indonesia are of Indonesian ancestry, so my point still stands: as a snapshot of the world, I think Malayia is more culturally diverse. Very Happy
gloomyGumi

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK it is but it still sucks.
Hod

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let's all say a country of nearly 30 million people "sucks" because one poster didn't make it there, shall we? Living in a few different places teaches, or should teach, you that all countries have good and bad points, and to sum up a country with "it sucks" shows a lack of effort.
markustm

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 6:27 am    Post subject: Indonesia is extremely Diverse Reply with quote

I agree Indonesia is actually more ethnically diverse, but if your only experience is living in Jakarta or Surabaya, then you would probably only experience a small part of the culture.

If you are able to work and travel throughout Indonesia, including some of the more remote islands, then Indonesia itself becomes a nation of cultures, rather than a shopping Mall of consumers.
bradleycooper

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indonesia is a hundred times more diverse than Malaysia. You have everything from the sharia-law of Aceh to the Melanesian Christians of Papua. In between you will find some 200 different language groups (many of them now endangered).

I like Malaysia, but it is more "tri-cultural" in terms of Malays, Indians and Chinese than a true cultural kaleidoscope of Indonesia. Indonesia, the giant of South-East Asia, has more for the true explorer.
jaybet3

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Malaysia vs. Indonesia. Let's put aside the cultural benefits for a moment and look at practical living experiences.

The internal bureaucratic / government / system of Indonesia is a primitive. I have lived in Indonesia for 5 years and am now applying for a job in Malaysia and need a Criminal Reference Check from Indonesia.

My Indonesian wife and I have now been to 5 government offices and have not yet finished the process. I had to pay 700,000 rp to make the process go faster as I have a deadline to get to Malaysia. After I get one document I still need to go to Jakarta to get the final document. I live in central Java so after plane, hotel, taxi corupsi and meals, this stupid piece of paper will cost me nearly USD 300.

When you look at the Malaysia website on the same process, it is one office and one fee.

So, when considering "Cultural differences" and what country "sucks", I'd rather go with an organized, less corrupt country than a primitive country where they still fingerprint with ink and ask for 5 photocopies of every document.
markustm

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 9:02 pm    Post subject: Malaysia is easier Reply with quote

I have several friends who work in Malaysia, who have lived in Indonesia, and they generally agree that it is much more efficiently run, especially when it comes to paperwork etc.

One problem is efficient countries are less exciting than diverse ones, and in some cases they lose part of their cultural identity through modernization, and efficiency, (Te strip Mall replaces the local market mentality).

If you like adventure, then less efficient countries tend to be more exciting places,

Malaysia seems to be, not as efficient as Singapore, and less chaotic than Indonesia. A happy mix I guess.
Xie Lin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 12:05 am    Post subject: Re: I would like to work in Malaysia Reply with quote

FROM the OP (Lest we forget what the thread was meant to be about!)

TheStudent wrote:
Hi all,

I just a had a few, basic questions . . .

2) Would it be advisable to fly out to Malaysia and look for work in person? If so, what is the best time of year to do that?

3) I am debating enrolling in a 120 Hour Online TEFL program that includes an In-Class Practicum (http://www.ontesol.com/tefl-certificate/). Would this be sufficient for finding work in Malaysia?

4) Should I consider taking a TEFL Certification program in Malaysia, and look for work while I'm completing the course? If so, does any body know of any reputable courses, for somebody on a budget?

Any other tips of advise for a newbie trying to teach in Malaysia would be greatly appreciated...

So, folks, any other tips for the OP? (Given that the general consensus seems to be, "Forget Malaysia, try Indonesia!")

kurtz

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 5:22 am    Post subject: Re: I would like to work in Malaysia Reply with quote

Xie Lin wrote:
FROM the OP (Lest we forget what the thread was meant to be about!)

TheStudent wrote:
Hi all,

I just a had a few, basic questions . . .

So, folks, any other tips for the OP? (Given that the general consensus seems to be, "Forget Malaysia, try Indonesia!")

Given the fact that the OP hasn't made any appearances on this thread in over a year, I don't think any advice is warranted.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Malaysia All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: