Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Gap Year at International School

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jsteventon

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 11:07 pm    Post subject: Gap Year at International School Reply with quote

Hi,

I have been offered a gap year experience at an international school in Vietnam. The school inform me that I will enter Vietnam on a 3 month visa and leave to re-enter every 3 months. Anyone have any experience of a similar gap year opportunity?

Thanks!
pellinzo

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 4:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

What is the name of the school?
mushroom_season

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Be careful, you might be in for a rough ride. Schools that insist on visa runs as a condition of employment are generally not worth working for. They should be able to take care of your work permit depending on your level of qualifications.
1st Sgt Welsh

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mushroom_season wrote:
Be careful, you might be in for a rough ride. Schools that insist on visa runs as a condition of employment are generally not worth working for. They should be able to take care of your work permit depending on your level of qualifications.

Seconded.
TRH

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mushroom_season wrote:
I'm not exactly sure what "gap year" means in this context but if the OP has not finished his Bachelor's degree he is not eligible for a work permit anyway.
mushroom_season

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats what I meant by depending on your level of qualifications. I have found the term gap year to be rather rubbery. Maybe stay for the first 3 months but I wouldnt come back to that employer.
skarper

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed - last thing Vietnam needs is young, wide eyed kids on gap years getting used [illegally] to teach English.

OP should steer clear of this as well for entirely selfish reasons. I'd say 99% of the time you'll regret it and it will cost you money.

I'd actually have a bit of a laugh stringing them along - saying I'm on my way etc etc then just not show up at the airport - or if they send you a free plane ticket [unlikely I admit] enter on a tourist visa and have a cheap holiday - just walk past anyone who is sent to meet you at the airport!

But joking aside this is a TWOT for the OP at best. Nearly all GAP years are - better to get a job for 6-9 months and then have a bit of an exotic holiday before university.
LettersAthruZ

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damm! Haven't seen one THIS dodgy in a while.

First off, if they are willing to accept you during you "gap year" - generally speaking, this "school" isn't what is properly labeled as an "international school"

The legitimate international schools Viet Nam require, at the very least, a Bachelor's of Education degree AND a Government Teaching License from your home country.

This place doesn't sound like a genuine international school.

Secondly, I know that work permit procedures have become very difficult in Viet Nam over the past year!! So difficult that it has gotten to the point where one major mill is NOW doing four-month contracts (three months/90 days teaching and one month holiday) to AVOID the work permit quagmire.

PROPER international schools in Viet Nam, because their fees to the students go around €11,000 per year, just deal with the work permit rubbish and go ahead and obtain it anyways for the instructor! So this offer to the OP raises red flags all over the place...

Finally, a place claiming to be an international school or even a normal mill - when they suggest "three-month-visa-runs"........turn around and run away as quickly as you can!! (Unless they are paying for the flight and putting you up in a posh hotel in Bangkok.......then take it)!
jsteventon

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 11:15 am    Post subject: Gap Year at International School Reply with quote

Thanks everyone. Your advice is much appreciated! I will take note and think again....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Vietnam All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: