Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Question about business schools

View previous topic :: View next topic  
lebishar

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 12:32 am    Post subject: Question about business schools Reply with quote

Hi, I have a BA in English, with no certifications, no experience. I could possibly get an online TEFL if that's necessary.

I am interested in teaching in Mexico, possibly Mexico City. My understanding is that the business schools are the ones that will more readily hire Americans without certifications and experience. Is this correct?

I read that these schools are less desirable partly because you're mostly teaching evening hours. I have a strange sleep schedule; I'm sort of a night owl. (Wikipedia has an article on 'delayed sleep phase syndrome' if you're curious to read about it.) Evening hours would actually be perfect for me (I work a night job here in the states). Am I correct in thinking these types of schools might work for my hours?

Thanks so much for any comments!
BadBeagleBad

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 3:51 am    Post subject: Re: Question about business schools Reply with quote

lebishar wrote:
Hi, I have a BA in English, with no certifications, no experience. I could possibly get an online TEFL if that's necessary.

I am interested in teaching in Mexico, possibly Mexico City. My understanding is that the business schools are the ones that will more readily hire Americans without certifications and experience. Is this correct?

I read that these schools are less desirable partly because you're mostly teaching evening hours. I have a strange sleep schedule; I'm sort of a night owl. (Wikipedia has an article on 'delayed sleep phase syndrome' if you're curious to read about it.) Evening hours would actually be perfect for me (I work a night job here in the states). Am I correct in thinking these types of schools might work for my hours?

Thanks so much for any comments!

Not so much business schools, but business institutes, which are mostly in company one on one class, or small groups. They are not mostly in the evening, but are probably evenly split between early morning (before work) and early evening (after work) and some Saturday classes. Sometimes there are lunchtime classes as well, so you generally end up travelling a bit to get a good week in. Some language school will hire you without certification as they usually have their own method and will train you. Pay is lower, but you also usually work in one location, though some also offer the option to do company classes as well. I know that Interlingua offers the option to work evenings and Saturday, probably others do to. You might also look for an online teaching job, lots of them in China, which would work with your night owl tendencies.
lebishar

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks so much for your reply; it was very helpful.

Do you think the business institutes would be flexible, and allow me to just work evenings? Where I work now, you either have to take the hours they give you, or get fired/not hired.

I'll look into teaching online. I didn't even realize that was an option, and it sounds like it might work, like you said, with my schedule.

Is Interlingua is something different than a business institute? I'm not clear on the differences between language schools and business institutes.

Thanks again.
BadBeagleBad

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Business schools are where people go to learn business, English MIGHT be part of the package. Business institutes are usually small, one man operations where the "owner" going around to different businesses trying to get them to sign up for either private lessons for executives, or small group classes for lesser employees. These institutes rarely have any full time employees, but depend on a rotating crew of part time teachers and a few longer term teachers. You can pretty much tell them when you want to work, and sometimes even where, or at least a range of wheres. In the past, these institutes usually wanted people to have permission to work independently, something I understand is no longer an option. I suspect, but don't know for sure, since I haven't live in Mexico City for a couple of years, that a lot of these have gone back to paying in cash under the table, or hiring people who are residents under some other kind of visa, or who have dual citizenship. These classes are held in the company's office, or occasionally in a place like Starbucks or Sanbourns. Pay can be decent, in the 120 to 225 (pesos) an hour range. Language schools, on the other hand, offer on site classes (though some do also have company classes) to students of a variety of ages, from kids to adults. Pay is usually lower, but you also don't have to do much prep, and you will generally have a few classes in a row. In the case of Interlingua, where I worked two different stints around 15 years apart, everything is mapped out for you - you have a script to follow for each lesson, tapes, audio visuals, whatever. You go to the library and ask for the package for Lesson X and it is all handed to you. They have a training program that teaches to use their method, which is pretty much just the audio lingual method of teaching, if you are familiar with that. It can be an OK job, depending on the branch you are at and who is in charge. You can work your pay up if you are good and/or in it for the long term. I have a couple of friends who still work there - as teacher trainers, curriculum planners, etc. Another thing to consider - I see so many people translate the pay in pesos into dollars or pounds or whatever their home currency is and pronounce the pay "crap". You have to bear in mind that the cost of living is much lower in Mexico UNLESS you try to duplicate living in the US/UK, in which case it will probably cost more. Teachers are very much middle class in Mexico and the pay will allow you to live a middle class Mexican lifestyle.
BadBeagleBad

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Business schools are where people go to learn business, English MIGHT be part of the package. Business institutes are usually small, one man operations where the "owner" going around to different businesses trying to get them to sign up for either private lessons for executives, or small group classes for lesser employees. These institutes rarely have any full time employees, but depend on a rotating crew of part time teachers and a few longer term teachers. You can pretty much tell them when you want to work, and sometimes even where, or at least a range of wheres. In the past, these institutes usually wanted people to have permission to work independently, something I understand is no longer an option. I suspect, but don't know for sure, since I haven't live in Mexico City for a couple of years, that a lot of these have gone back to paying in cash under the table, or hiring people who are residents under some other kind of visa, or who have dual citizenship. These classes are held in the company's office, or occasionally in a place like Starbucks or Sanbourns. Pay can be decent, in the 120 to 225 (pesos) an hour range. Language schools, on the other hand, offer on site classes (though some do also have company classes) to students of a variety of ages, from kids to adults. Pay is usually lower, but you also don't have to do much prep, and you will generally have a few classes in a row. In the case of Interlingua, where I worked two different stints around 15 years apart, everything is mapped out for you - you have a script to follow for each lesson, tapes, audio visuals, whatever. You go to the library and ask for the package for Lesson X and it is all handed to you. They have a training program that teaches to use their method, which is pretty much just the audio lingual method of teaching, if you are familiar with that. It can be an OK job, depending on the branch you are at and who is in charge. You can work your pay up if you are good and/or in it for the long term. I have a couple of friends who still work there - as teacher trainers, curriculum planners, etc. Another thing to consider - I see so many people translate the pay in pesos into dollars or pounds or whatever their home currency is and pronounce the pay "crap". You have to bear in mind that the cost of living is much lower in Mexico UNLESS you try to duplicate living in the US/UK, in which case it will probably cost more. Teachers are very much middle class in Mexico and the pay will allow you to live a middle class Mexican lifestyle.
lebishar

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 5:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your replies. It was very helpful. Sorry to take so long in getting back on here.

I am seriously considering (90%+ chance) moving to Mexico DF in the beginning of August.

I've been looking on craigslist DF, to get a feel for apartment sharing prices, and it seems like there are many reasonable options. I have a small amount of money saved so I would have a little leeway for my time frame in terms of making everything work out financially. I don't spend too much money in general anyway.

I've also started studying Spanish more intensely, using audiobooks. Most likely I will have just 'survival' Spanish when I arrive.

So you rely solely on online English teaching jobs? I imagine it's less expensive to live in a small town, rather than the city.

I am starting to prepare my things for the move. What sort of clothes does a male English teacher wear? A button down shirt with casual slacks? Tucked in, not tucked in? My job now is very informal and I need to grab some new clothes. Shoes? Not sneakers?
Isla Guapa

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Craigslist is not as popular in Mexico as it is in the States. I suggest checking out Segundamano, Vivastreet and Adoos.
Guy Courchesne

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 2:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I disagree with that...Craig's List has really come into force in Mexico. A good friend of mine in DF books over 100 hours per week of classes for his staff on that site.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
lebishar

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So craigslist or another internet site might also be a place to look for private students?

I'll check out those other sites, thanks. I don't imagine it's too hard to rent a room somewhere? It seemed like people were more flexible with lease times and things than here in the states, where it's often always a 1 year lease with strict penalties for breaking it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Mexico All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: