Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Business English in Taiwan - reality check?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
boomerexpat

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 4:41 pm    Post subject: Business English in Taiwan - reality check? Reply with quote

I am ex-Silicon Valley exec who taught biz english in China for a year and moved to Mexico to teach entrepreneurship at a private uni. I'm trying to figure out where to go next.

(A key fact about me - I'm 60 which, as I'm sure you know, in much of Asia is considered ancient. I was teaching a class of Chinese women who were all uni graduates and all wanted to be dead by 60 because they didn't see the point in living when you are that old.)

I've noticed from looking at the job ads that there aren't many jobs listed and they mainly seem to be for teaching young kids. The last thing I want to do is teach Asian kids between 11 and 18.

I'm interested in Taiwan but wouldn't move there without a job.

1. Is it feasible these days to get a decent job before moving there like in China?

2. Do Business English jobs exist in Taiwan? If so, where do you find them? I can't remember seeing a single one listed.

3. If Business English jobs do exist, do they hire old farts to teach them? I was told by recruiters in Korea that the demand is for attractive white women under 35. Anyone who has seen me would concur that I have the white part down. I like to imagine I am attractive. Not interested in a sex change and won't be able to meet the under 35 requirement.

So, is lots of experience (and the years that go with it) a plus in Taiwan or a liability?

Thanks
Spelunker

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 1:57 am    Post subject: re: age and other stuff Reply with quote

Quote:
I'm interested in Taiwan but wouldn't move there without a job.

1. Is it feasible these days to get a decent job before moving there like in China?

2. Do Business English jobs exist in Taiwan? If so, where do you find them? I can't remember seeing a single one listed.

Hi,

You are dead right about the first point....but not everyone has that luxury, sometimes taking a leap of faith is better than stagnation. I think it is a hit the ground running kind of place, you can always try www.tealit.com

Never seen those business english kind of jobs in Taiwan, but you could try the above mentioned site, or wait for more responses to this thread. There is business english teaching in China, but I reckon it only pays well if you have privates, work for a centre, and you will only get what they pay, I reckon you can negotiate higher by working for yourself.

Either way, good luck Shocked Very Happy Smile Confused
boomerexpat

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 6:22 pm    Post subject: Re: re: age and other stuff Reply with quote

Spelunker wrote:

There is business english teaching in China, b

I taught biz English in China and you are right there are ops there. However, I found there were simply too many potential health traps to live there more than 1 year.

Also, if you are over 50 - really over 40 - good luck in the high demand cities. I might have stayed if I could have been in a more interesting one like Shanghai but hard to even get a visa after 50/55. The glamour cities and some of the provinces have a policy of not giving them after 55.
Spelunker

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 2:03 am    Post subject: agreed about china... Reply with quote

I agree about China, but I am in the dark about Taiwan.

The FT's there seem very cliquey and it seems to be all very arcane, or I know what I know, but I'm not letting on kind of place....the Canadians there seem to be of that kind anyway, just saying.

good luck either way,
sp
fat_chris

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 3:03 am    Post subject: Re: agreed about china... Reply with quote

Spelunker wrote:
The FT's there seem very cliquey and it seems to be all very arcane, or I know what I know, but I'm not letting on kind of place....the Canadians there seem to be of that kind anyway, just saying.

Here in "Our China", I find that the foreigners who are this way are, generally speaking, not in the know but they just think that they "know China". In my experience they have this weird sense of pride (arrogance?) that prevents them from just admitting that they really don't know. They think by playing the "I know China" card, they have cred, which after spending some time around them, I realize...they don't know sh-t. Those people are irritating and I avoid them.

...so, I agree with you about this.

...also...wishing the OP good luck either way.

Warm regards,
fat_chris
Spelunker

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 5:45 am    Post subject: i met plenty like that... Reply with quote

Quote:
In my experience they have this weird sense of pride (arrogance?)

Taught for the best part of 7 years in China and met many like that mate.

The last was an american with only 1 and a half years of experience in China, but knowing no Chinese, who told me he "understood" China and didn't need to learn from other expat Ft's as he knew all there was to know, and how his chinese friends family was his family. When I pointed out that chinese would NEVER consider a laowai as an outsider of their social circle as part of their family, let alone a close friend, he scoffed and basically derided me and said that he would let me drown over his chinese friend or his chinese friends family. I think that this chinese guy (his friend) was his boyfriend, hence his misplaced loyalties. He will learn a few more years down the line!

Either way, good post!!!!!
ncaraway

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deleted by author.

Last edited by ncaraway on Mon Sep 08, 2014 5:39 am; edited 1 time in total
Spelunker

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 2:21 am    Post subject: irks me? Reply with quote

Quote:
If you can read Chinese or have someone to help you, you should be able to find these jobs.

This is what irks me somewhat. White guy, has degree, will travel, speaks no chinese, meets random hot taiwanese chick who can read and translate the job offers for him, lands cushy well paid job.

White guy exactly the same, but no girlfriend and not established in Taiwan is shut out. It seems very cliquey over there, and based on secretive stuff like, it's not what you know, it's who you know kind of thinking, with the longer term expats looking down in a ostentatious way at newcomers.

Yes, a british chinese woman and an englishman called me ( a fellow englishman!) "jet fresh". I'ad already been to HK many times before, speak a smattering of cantonese, and know my way around.....there appears to be a holier than thou attitude amongst expats both in HK and Taiwan, especially those with local wives!!! End of story body!!!!
ncaraway

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 2:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deleted by author

Last edited by ncaraway on Mon Sep 08, 2014 5:39 am; edited 1 time in total
Spelunker

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 1:35 am    Post subject: re: general? Reply with quote

Quote:
Your implied assumptions about me are also incorrect. I married my Taiwanese wife 11 years ago and we spent our first 8 years together living and working in the US. We moved to Taiwan so she could be near her aging mother.

It was more a general assessment of all foreign teachers in Taiwan, not meant to single you out personally. If it came across that way, then I am very sorry and did not mean to offend.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Taiwan All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: