Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

More ex-pat bashing
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
MuscatGary

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 1:34 pm    Post subject: More ex-pat bashing Reply with quote

They couldn't make it up!!

http://www.timesofoman.com/News/34671/Article-Tighter-rules-over-driving-licences-for-expatriates-in-Oman

and RockBottom disco has been told it has to close at 10.45 after Ramadan and can only sell alcohol with food. They can't even have a music round in the quiz anymore either!
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't see the driving license rule affecting teachers that have a car or two. It seems to be related to 3 or more.

...and APVs, not sure exactly what they mean... off-road Quads?

As to the bar scene, that was always on borrowed time. I'd guess that too many young Omanis are taking part...

VS
Whatever will be

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MuscatGary

As if it's not hard enough for ex-pats already to get a driving license:

1. ) get a blood test at a local clinic
wait around forever
and pay for it
2.) get a NOC (No Objection Certificate) from your employer
more waiting around
3.) get an Arabic application form
pay for it and find somebody who can fill it out for you
4.) Go to some far away police station but only during work days and only in the morning, when you most certainly have to be at work
wait around again and pay more money

VeiledSentiment
off-road quads are what runs over you on the beach Crying or Very sad

Driven most by young male Omanis high on testosterone and low on intelligence Rolling Eyes
Last weekend, a group of 8 quads were racing up and down a stretch of beach. Shortly after, 3 police cars where in hot pursuit.
Shame, I was in the water with no camera. Would have been a good clip for YouTube. Evil or Very Mad
Sleepwalker

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The car regulation is because of the number of expats from a certain country running private taxis. If you live in Muscat, you will see them at peak times with the same three or four people in the car. Apart from the legal status of the drivers, there is seldom insurance in the case of accidents.
Tazz

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 3:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bar scene/ alcohol goes...I go. Place is then totally intolerable!
CVN-76

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last winter I was thinking about quitting my job in Turkey and going to Oman early this spring. But over time I decided to hold off on a job there until maybe the fall. However, now I've changed my mind again. I'm not going back to Oman. It's just too aggravating, what one will see in the classroom topped off with these new regs. I'd need to be paid 5,000 USD a month to put up with it, with certain guarantees built into the contract.
MuscatGary

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm leaving. After 3.5 years I've had enough of their whingeing and cheating. Time to go....
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tazz wrote:
Bar scene/ alcohol goes...I go. Place is then totally intolerable!

There will still be alcohol, but obviously if a "bar scene" is crucial to your lifestyle, the Gulf has never been a good option. For those who need this scene, Asia is certainly a much better choice.

The vast majority of teachers only require the options to buy for home consumption and/or the ability to have a drink with dinner at a restaurant. That appears to be unaffected.

VS
Whatever will be

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VeiledSentiment

Home consumption requires an alcohol license, which requires a NOC (No Objection Certificate) from the employer, which requires a great deal of emails, phone calls, time and energy to get - that is the teacher is successful.

Restaurants serving alcohol charge a small fortune for the meals (15 - 20 RO). A dinner buffet costs 30 RO plus services charges of 16 %.

A beer (and the range is limited to Fosters and Heineken) usually costs 3 RO plus service charges, bringing it up 3.5 RO.

On a teacher's salary of 1250 RO going out for dinner is a rare treat.

Keep in mind that nowadays, the average rent is 300 RO for a small, rather old one-bedroom apartment plus 50 RO for electricity and water.

Once phone and internet costs, food and the never-ending purchase of water (tap water is not fit for human consumption), incidentals (shampoo, soap, tooth paste, deodorant.....), laundry, transportation, the odd excursion, etc. has been taken care of, there is little left.

The bar scene has always been popular due to happy hour and the ability to have a good night out for less than half the cost of a restaurant meal.
Whatever will be

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Muscat Gary

Congrats on sticking it out that long!

Looks like you're leaving at the right time. Things are getting too tough in this country.

Good luck with your next job Very Happy
CVN-76

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whatever will be wrote:

Home consumption requires an alcohol license, which requires a NOC (No Objection Certificate) from the employer

I'm curious, Mr/Ms Be, can one get this NOC for the alcohol license but use it to change employers?

Muscat, you lasted 3.5 years as a glorified babysitter in Oman at the various daycare centers fronting as colleges and universities. That's like lasting the equivalent of 18 months in Saudi, a great achievement. You deserve a nod, as you didn't get fired for doing your job properly (failing them and preventing them from cheating on tests and exams, which will quickly get one in hot water or even fired there).

Speaking of Saudi, hopefully no one leaving Oman is going there. That'd be leaping out of the fire into a hotter fire. Ditto for the colossal dump known as Kuwait.
Sleepwalker

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm afraid NOCs can't br transferred.
Whatever will be

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 3:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CVN-76

Once you have an alcohol license and change your employer or loose your job, it doesn't matter.

Friend of mine lost his job but still has the alcohol license. Much like the Omani driving license, which also requires a NOC from the employer but is kept, even though you loose your job.

Only problem with the alcohol license: they write down every purchase to track it so that you don't exceed the monthly limit.
MuscatGary

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 5:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is getting tougher to get the alcohol permit. The Dean of the College where I work refuses to write the NOC as he's a straggly beard/short dishdasha guy so no chance. Fewer and fewer places are allowed to serve alcohol unless they serve it with food.

Thanks for the nods and best wishes! btw I DID fail students on multiple occasions. The grade was changed during the semester break!!!! Teachers are not told and only realise when they see the student is on the next course!
Tazz

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 5:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Won't give you the NOC for the 'booze book'-that's harsh.....one of the benefits of being non-ministry, agency recruit is that they issue the NOC no problem! Well I've never met anybody working through an agency who has been refused.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Oman All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: