Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New visa requirements for Kazakhstan?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Russia & C.I.S.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chancellor

Location: Ji'an, China - if you're willing to send me cigars, I accept donations :)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 2:57 pm    Post subject: New visa requirements for Kazakhstan? Reply with quote

Okay, I just finished a contract at a language school in Kazakhstan and was going to be hired by another school in Astana. My visa expired and I obviously had to leave KZ in order to do the visa run. I just received an e-mail from the prospective employer who was trying to process a new visa. The e-mail states (the [sic] is mine):

"I gave your documents and certificates with diplomas to the ministry of foreign affairs [sic]. Unfortunatelly [sic], they said that they do not provide visa to holders of TESL or Celta [sic]."

So, does this mean no more native speaker English teachers who have TESOL certifications (e.g. CELTA)? Something seems strange about that. Before I left, the new employer stated that the Ministry of Foreign Affairs had mentioned wanting to see on the university transcripts a statement about being eligible to teach (something you will not find on American university transcripts since eligibility to teach comes from state governments, not universities).

I tried looking for information on the website for the KZ embassy in the US, but there was nothing. Hopefully, the embassy will respond to my e-mail, though I doubt it.

Last edited by Chancellor on Wed Jun 04, 2014 1:42 am; edited 1 time in total
lucifer911

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 5:05 pm    Post subject: Re: New visa requirements for Kazakhstan? Reply with quote

do you have a bachelors degree? CELTA is recognised everywhere. I think they mean we do not provide VISA to holders of CELTA without bachelors degree. If you have a bachelors degree what course did you complete?

also may I ask how long did your VISA last?

Chancellor wrote:
Okay, I just finished a contract at a language school in Kazakhstan and was going to be hired by another school. My visa expired and I obviously had to leave KZ in order to do the visa run. I just received an e-mail from the prospective employer who was trying to process a new visa. The e-mail states (the [sic] is mine):

"I gave your documents and certificates with diplomas to the ministry of foreign affairs [sic]. Unfortunatelly [sic], they said that they do not provide visa to holders of TESL or Celta [sic]."

So, does this mean no more native speaker English teachers who have TESOL certifications (e.g. CELTA)? Something seems strange about that. Before I left, the new employer stated that the Ministry of Foreign Affairs had mentioned wanting to see on the university transcripts a statement about being eligible to teach (something you will not find on American university transcripts since eligibility to teach comes from state governments, not universities).

I tried looking for information on the website for the KZ embassy in the US, but there was nothing. Hopefully, the embassy will respond to my e-mail, though I doubt it.
Chancellor

Location: Ji'an, China - if you're willing to send me cigars, I accept donations :)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 2:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a bachelor of science degree in multidisciplinary studies and a graduate certificate in global studies. I also have a 250-hour TESOL certificate with 20-hour teaching practicum. Here's a further update from the prospective employer:

"One of the criteria is appostiled and translated into Russian or Kazakh languages Bachelor or Master degree's diploma that proves the right to teach or/and has the subjects of teaching the language. And the second is DELTA."

American university degrees don't confer on people the right to teach. For example, I'm eligible to teach early childhood to 8th grade and ESL in the State of Texas, but that's because I completed a teacher certification program and passed the state content examinations. However, these are not associated with my degree or graduate certificate.
lucifer911

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

it seems like they want TEFL teachers with a masters degree in applied linguistics just to get VISA approval. They are going to have a tough time filling teacher vacancies by expecting a masters degree and more importantly a DELTA?? I would hope they pay the appropriate salary for someone with those qualifications because most people would take up good positions in universities in Saudi, UAE, China, Korea etc.

The Russia forum on here is quiet so hopefully someone with knowledge on this can give more insight into the CIS countries.

Chancellor wrote:
I have a bachelor of science degree in multidisciplinary studies and a graduate certificate in global studies. I also have a 250-hour TESOL certificate with 20-hour teaching practicum. Here's a further update from the prospective employer:

"One of the criteria is appostiled and translated into Russian or Kazakh languages Bachelor or Master degree's diploma that proves the right to teach or/and has the subjects of teaching the language. And the second is DELTA."

American university degrees don't confer on people the right to teach. For example, I'm eligible to teach early childhood to 8th grade and ESL in the State of Texas, but that's because I completed a teacher certification program and passed the state content examinations. However, these are not associated with my degree or graduate certificate.
meridok

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

most schools get round that problem by stating that they are hiring 'Tutors to develop English speech' rather than 'English Teachers'. In that case you need an apostilled copy of your CELTA so that the school can get a visa support number.
Chancellor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We'll see what happens. There's a prospective employer in Atyrau that's going to try to process a visa.
lucifer911

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

good luck.. keep us updated.

Chancellor wrote:
We'll see what happens. There's a prospective employer in Atyrau that's going to try to process a visa.
robinbanks

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 10:28 am    Post subject: Working in Khazakstan Reply with quote

I have a Bachelor's degree and a masters in Applied Linguistics plus a teaching certificate.Does that seem enough to get a work permit?Any tips about living in KZ.What's the tax situation like?
Chancellor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 8:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Working in Khazakstan Reply with quote

robinbanks wrote:
I have a Bachelor's degree and a masters in Applied Linguistics plus a teaching certificate.Does that seem enough to get a work permit?Any tips about living in KZ.What's the tax situation like?
I don't know. The aforementioned employer was supposedly told the degree itself had to say you were eligible to teach and that the university transcripts had to include the various education courses. Try it and find out. As for taxes, my previous employer didn't pay taxes for its native speakers (which is probably illegal) and, consequently, we could never get tax id numbers to open up bank accounts in KZ. This is something you should definitely ask any prospective employer.

As for living in KZ, I guess that depends on where in KZ? I was in the capital - the second coldest capital in the world. Needless to say, it gets really cold in the winter (this past winter was fairly mild and it only got down to -37C a few times). The prices of things don't seem to have much rhyme or reason to them (for example, you might pay close to $100 for a printed t-shirt in a shopping mall, but get a sweater for half that).

KZ is a very bureaucratic society. Notaries are EVERYWHERE and it seems there are always documents that have to be notarized. Even in a local electronics store you have to get the receipt signed and stamped.

If you do go to KZ, try the local foods. Beshbarmak (made with horse meat) is Kazakhstan's national dish and it's actually pretty good. There are lots of cafeteria-style places that have various Kazakh dishes and are definitely worth trying (not to mention they're also cheaper than regular restaurants). Fast food joints like KFC are insanely popular in the capital, especially among young people (though I can't imagine why). Pizza is also popular, but what passes for pizza there isn't all that great. (Of course, I come from Western New York State where we have pizza joints on nearly every corner).

I hope this helps.
jonniboy

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I taught in Almaty 2012-13 and there were teachers working there with visa and without degree. As Maruss said, a lot of schools class you as "Tutor for developing English skills." KZ is the type of place where a lot of laws are flexible if you can pay the right people off.
Chancellor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I decided not to deal with all that bureaucratic nonsense and accepted an offer from a middle school in China.
Chancellor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 4:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

UPDATE: Kazakhstan recently announced that for one year starting July 15, 2014, citizens from 10 countries (including the US and UK) will not require a visa if they're visiting Kazakhstan for 15 days or less. Too bad that doesn't apply to work visas.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Russia & C.I.S. All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: