Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

DELTA and Secondary Ed teaching certification

View previous topic :: View next topic  
van_6000

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 3:02 pm    Post subject: DELTA and Secondary Ed teaching certification Reply with quote

I'd appreciate some info on two types of certification in Taiwan: (1) DELTA/CELTA, and (2) any prestigious teaching certificate for secondary education (e.g., PGCE, or American equivalent, or any such certification). Many thanks.
van_6000

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I forgot to say that I have found this center through the Cambridge English website

Y M C A Education Centre,Taipei (Platinum Centre) (TW007)290 Kunming StreetTaipei10850TAIWAN

I am not sure if anyone has heard of it.
Thanks again.
Ferfichkin

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think you can get a DELTA/CELTA or a PGCE in Taiwan. At least, I've never heard of anyone doing one.
van_6000

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Ferfichkin. Is that true of any English teaching certification?

I was thinking of going for an ESL (TESOL, TEFL, or any such) qualification program here in Taiwan, now that I returned from my three year hell in Europe. I would also like to pursue a teacher training certification like the one at Pacific American School, on Kuang Fu Road in Hsinchu. I have heard that it has, or at least used to have, a partnership with the College of New Jersey (USA).

I have been teaching for many years in Taipei but I have been working on a spouse - based residence (ARC) which enabled me to work as an ESL teacher even though I am considered officially non-native (because of passport). My experience, familiarity with Taiwan, and mostly my spouse-based ARC have thus far been what keeps giving me a job here, but I feel that things are getting tougher and that I will never be able to work in any other country as an ESL teacher without at least some qualifications. (I have tried applying to the Middle East and Turkey, but also Prague and Sweden, and I got no luck whatsoever)

My Ph.D. is in US History and unfortunately Taiwanese colleges and universities are going through hard times these days, with the result that there is no hiring any more (especially someone with a non-relevant Ph.D. and an absence of teaching qualifications)

So, I guess a good summary of my inquiry here would be : What can I or should I do here while teaching in Taiwan (buxibans currently) in order to make myself more marketable, seeing how I am getting old (48 ) and with only 30 hours of TEFL, a Ph.D. in US History, and a non-native speaker's passport (Greek -- never mind that my English is actually better than my Greek, for many reasons). Should I look for part time MA in TESOL, a 120 hour-TEFL/TESOL/DELTA, and / or a teacher training qualification? I would ideally prefer to get something that could make me marketable elsewhere, in addition to Taiwan.

Last edited by van_6000 on Mon Jun 09, 2014 3:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
Ferfichkin

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Is that true of any English teaching certification?

Since you live in Taiwan, I'm sure you know that EFL/ESL certificates don't carry that much weight. Taiwanese school owners just don't care about them. I personally doubt that there are any reputable EFL/ESL certification programs in Taiwan.

Quote:
Should I look for part time MA in TESOL

That might be able to get you some work teaching at a university. If they offer that program at a university in Taiwan, it might be something to look into.

Quote:
I would also like to pursue a teacher training certification like the one at Pacific American School, on Kuang Fu Road in Hsinchu. I have heard that it has, or at least used to have, a partnership with the College of New Jersey (USA).

I heard something about this program a while back. I've never met anyone who took it. That might be something to look into, too. You would need to make 100% sure that the MOE in Taiwan would accept this certification though.

Whatever you choose to do, good luck!
LifterMan

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

van_6000 wrote:

So, I guess a good summary of my inquiry here would be : What can I or should I do here while teaching in Taiwan (buxibans currently) in order to make myself more marketable, seeing how I am getting old (48 ) and with only 30 hours of TEFL, a Ph.D. in US History, and a non-native speaker's passport (Greek -- never mind that my English is actually better than my Greek, for many reasons). Should I look for part time MA in TESOL, a 120 hour-TEFL/TESOL/DELTA, and / or a teacher training qualification? I would ideally prefer to get something that could make me marketable elsewhere, in addition to Taiwan.

I recommend to always go for the teaching license. This allows you to teach at international schools and you can go to low paid ESL countries like Mexico or Honduras and make big $$$ at international schools. In the teaching world, many things can be overcome with experience, but that teaching license is a golden ticket.
van_6000

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, guys, Ferfichkin and Lifterman. I agree. I really really wish I could find a way to know which is a reputable teaching license AND ESL certification (and where). I would definitely go for it. Especially the teaching license.

Someone I knew some time ago was doing a teaching certificate course in Bangkok, while working here in Taipei full time (he was required to appear in Bangkok something like three weekends or four weekends per year or something, a a lot of portfolio-building at home). Does anyone know anything about this? I am sure it is a good program but I am not sure if it would be recognized by , say, Thai or Korean or (eventually, my goal, Turkish and Middle East employers) schools.

Would anyone be able to point me to some sort of direction or website? I'd really appreciate it. But thanks for your very appreciated and helpful input guys.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Taiwan All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: