Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Question about Pet

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Helpmefindausername

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 8:05 am    Post subject: Question about Pet Reply with quote

Hi
I have an interview for a position in Muscat. I have a pet cat. At what point should I ask about bringing a cat? During or after the interview?
nomad soul

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not worth mentioning at all since bringing a pet is completely your responsibility. It's best to keep the interview focused on the position---the job.
johnslat

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Helpmefindausername.

But make sure you research what needs to be done:

Regulations for taking a pet dog or cat to Oman

Oman requires that you obtain an import permit for entry.
Your pet must be vaccinated for rabies between 30 days and 6 months prior to entry. Additional vaccinations are required.
A licensed veterinarian must complete a Veterinary Certificate for Oman shortly prior to travel. Although it is not required, we recommend that a USDA or CFIA licensed veterinarian complete the form and you have it endorsed by the USDA or CFIA if traveling from the United States or Canada. If you are traveling from another country, the Governing Authority from your country responsible for the import or export of animals should endorse the forms.
A copy of the Rabies Certificate should also be included for endorsement.

This completes a pet passport for your dog or cat to enter Oman.
Dogs and Cats less than 4 months old are not allowed to enter Oman.

Dog Passport Oman

Whenever you travel to a foreign country like Oman, it is always advisable to carry some form of identification indicating ownership of the pet.

Failure to comply with these regulations will mean that your pet will be refused entry or returned to the country of origin or placed in quarantine, all at the expense of the person responsible for your pet.

Inspection: All domestic dogs and cats must be free of evidence of disease communicable to humans when examined at the port of entry to Oman. If your dog or cat is not in apparent good health, further examination by a licensed veterinarian may be required at your expense.

Other Animals: Birds, invertebrates, tropical fish, reptiles, amphibia, mammals such as rodents and rabbits are not subject to requirements of rabies vaccination, but may have to meet other requirements and should have a health certificate to enter Oman. Pet owners are strongly advised to seek further information from the relevant authority of their country and/or that of the country of destination.

Veterinary Certificate: All countries have unique veterinary certificates. This form may differ from the veterinary certificate issued by veterinarians in the United States. (APHIS 7001) It is an essential part of the cat or dog passport.

Pet Microchip: Although Oman does not require a pet microchip, we strongly recommend that you microchip your cat or dog prior to traveling.

Need equipment for traveling with your pet? Find it all at PetTravelStore.com
GOT QUESTIONS??? Please post to our blog or forum.
GOT COMMENTS??? Please enter them below. Your experiences will provide help for us all!!"

http://www.pettravel.com/immigration/Oman.cfm

http://omanidog.wordpress.com/the-rules-for-bringing-your-pet-into-oman/

http://www.muscatvets.com/pet_travel.html

Regards,
John
Helpmefindausername

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, John. It looks like quite a process.

I am also wondering if teachers routinely take their pets to Oman and if the property owners have problems renting to teachers with pets. I understand that many Omani people don't have them. Im also curious to know if pets are allowed in properties owned by the schools or language centers

This is a first for me and I don't want to leave my cat behind if there is a way to bring her over. Thanks for any info you all can provide. .
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cats aren't a problem. Many people take in/adopt street cats and a few teachers bring their cat(or dog). There is no cultural negativity towards cats as there is against dogs. That said, even some Omanis have pet dogs.

Not really a major issue except for the paperwork and cost for you. But like everywhere in the world, pet ownership must be approved by landlords.

VS
Helpmefindausername

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you all for the replies. I will interview Monday and see what hapoens from there.
Sleepwalker

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're bringing your cat. these people will help you - http://www.muscatvets.com/

If you work in Muscat, you'll find many people (Omani and expat) with pets.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Oman All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: