Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

ILBC - Mandalay
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Asia Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sanpedro72

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 3:37 am    Post subject: ILBC - Mandalay Reply with quote

Hello Myanmar expats.

I have recently read a discussion on ILBC - Yangon which has unfortunately been locked or closed. So here's a new discussion, as I am faced with an offer from ILBC - Mandalay.

Currently, I work for poorly reputed educational organization in Iraqi Kurdistan. And its poor reputation is rightfully deserved. The general states of education in my view is worse than it's ever been. Internationally stagnant salaries, increased managerial/board corruption, increased working and teaching hours for employees and even more bureaucraZy than ever before. So for me, find a truly decent employer at the age of 40 is a serious matter.

When I read the pros and cons of ILBC I decided to give the posters' experiences an indecisive 50/50 split. Both make valid points.

Here's why I have experienced so far. I applied to ILBC 2.5 months ago and just now received an offer by email. No interview or anything. Usually poorly reputed schools do that. That's not to say that I am not interested, but the contract that is offered (pasted into the email's text) is not up to the usual international school standard. No health insurance, the housing situation is not firm or certain (and therefore still questionable), and I am still confused how salary and target students are determined (again, no prior discussion).

What I find positive. It's not in a Middle Eastern country, Mandalay is a beautiful city (well, according to Google images), and Mandalay is in a wonderfully strategic location for travel.

As for the school, there is nothing Google-able about the Mandalay branch, which I am to assume is new. The only thing I have read about ILBC in a critical way, outside of eslcafe, is that its employment package is nothing to jump about compared to other international schools in Burma. Of course the kids are great; they always are Wink Here's the link to the review: http://www.internationalschoolsreview.com/international-schools/ilbcyis.htm.

Like I said, one negative and one positive statement is not enough to base a decision, so if anyone knows about or has especially worked for ILBC anywhere in Burma, please let your comments be known --- EITHER WAY.

Thank you for posting. J
Trebek

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

An offer with no initial interview should answer all your questions immediately. Why ask us?
KayuJati

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Based upon the locations you choose to apply and work (Kurdish area of Iraq, Burma), you appear to enjoy frontier teaching (FT; aka Third World). FT is probably quite exciting, but if you want first- or second-world salaries and benefits, then you need to look to first- and second-world locations.

FT locations are a hassle, for sure; but also provide excellent opportunities to get in on the ground level of business opportunities. If you could hack it in Burma for several years -learning the language, making governmental connections- you could probably be one of the first foreigners to start up your own English centre. There aren't that many FT opportunities left in Asia for entrepreneurial action.
grumpy cat

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 7:54 am    Post subject: This is laughable..... Reply with quote

Believe me if you check thoroughly on google you will find lots of negative comments about ILBC - all thoroughly deserved.

Take it from a former employee, this is not a school you want to work for.

Your accommodation will be in an old, shared house with 6 other people.

The contract is not worth a damn - they won't stick to it, but will still expect you to.

Steer well clear!
Prof.Gringo

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 11:32 am    Post subject: Re: This is laughable..... Reply with quote

grumpy cat wrote:
Believe me if you check thoroughly on google you will find lots of negative comments about ILBC - all thoroughly deserved.

Take it from a former employee, this is not a school you want to work for.

Your accommodation will be in an old, shared house with 6 other people.

The contract is not worth a damn - they won't stick to it, but will still expect you to.

Steer well clear!

Did you get paid your salary, on-time?
bentanddisfunctional

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haha- you're off to Mandalay campus?

Enjoy the big brother house, legendary... Rolling Eyes
Prof.Gringo

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bentanddisfunctional wrote:
Haha- you're off to Mandalay campus?

Enjoy the big brother house, legendary... Rolling Eyes

2 to beam aboard Twisted Evil
EFL Educator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing Laughing
bentanddisfunctional

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Professor Gringo, be sure to keep us updated...

I'm sure it won't end in tears Rolling Eyes
EFL Educator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

:Big Brother House! Twisted Evil
bluetortilla

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 3:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EFL Educator wrote:

wat dat mean?

reference to orwell's burmese days?
bentanddisfunctional

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sure the Professor would post some feedback from Manadaly but the internet doesn't work again...... Rolling Eyes
Prof.Gringo

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sure the Professor would post some feedback from Manadaly but the internet doesn't work again...... Rolling Eyes

Here's ur feedback:

The $6,000KYS sandwich from the "Lunch Box" is a prime option at work. I mean, why buy the bread & stuff, make it and save myself $5,000?

I prefer to give my money to the scraggly faced whiteboy on the moto, seems like the J-man is making a great life, after he left ILBC, he can really take care of his family now, what, with those six buck crapwichs, Subway lookout Rolling Eyes

The big brother house is poppin' BTW!
Prof.Gringo

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Professor Gringo, be sure to keep us updated...

I'm sure it won't end in tears Rolling Eyes

Won't be my tears... Razz
Prof.Gringo

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bluetortilla wrote:
EFL Educator wrote:

wat dat mean?

reference to orwell's burmese days?

It's the cameras in every common room of the house, which the HQ uses to keep an eye on us, but in the teacher bedrooms, there's only a mic. Not too bad, esp. since they like to record every class we teach, we also must sign out and sign back in, whenever we leave the "Big Brother House" but it's really just for our safety, not to keep track of us.

Cool
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Asia Forum All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: