Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Tensions between Vietnam & China

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dream_Seller

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 3:42 pm    Post subject: Tensions between Vietnam & China Reply with quote

This may be old news but I am wondering how possible it could be that Vietnam would go to war with China over the oil drilling on undisputed land? A Vietnamese boat has also been sunk by China in that area.

There is not much coverage of this topic in the U.S. I'm not sure how it affects the daily lives of ex pats there?

I am planning on teaching in HCMC by October with a BA in Business and a CELTA. Haven't got the CELTA yet but plan too in HCMC in September. I'm American and have no teaching experience but I am a very hard worker. Nevertheless, family and friends are advising me to be careful on moving to Vietnam so soon due to the political unrest. Thanks for your time.
SeldomSeen

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tensions. What tensions?

Certainly there were protests a few weeks ago but now they've stopped and where I am I've heard of a few Chinese people (all professionals) who have fled the country but there is no evidence of any animosity to us westerners.

If I walk around the local area (not HCMC or Hanoi) I might only get 99 strangers smile and say "hello" rather than the usual 100 in any half hour period but, seriously, I haven't seen any signs of tension here. Everybody smiles here. Life is peaceful (except on the roads). It's why I like it.
Dream_Seller

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. I think my friends are just overly cautious due to their families who live in Vietnam and get some sort of inside information of something. I Appreciate your response and I'm glad this issue doesn't affect the daily lives of expats.
Prof.Gringo

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 7:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Tensions between Vietnam & China Reply with quote

Dream_Seller wrote:

This may be old news but I am wondering how possible it could be that Vietnam would go to war with China over the oil drilling on undisputed land? A Vietnamese boat has also been sunk by China in that area.

There is not much coverage of this topic in the U.S. I'm not sure how it affects the daily lives of ex pats there?

I am planning on teaching in HCMC by October with a BA in Business and a CELTA. Haven't got the CELTA yet but plan too in HCMC in September. I'm American and have no teaching experience but I am a very hard worker. Nevertheless, family and friends are advising me to be careful on moving to Vietnam so soon due to the political unrest. Thanks for your time.

China could steamroll into VN anytime they please...

Sure, in 1979 the VNese army handed a defeat to the PLA in a limited border war.

But that was then and this is now.

In 1979 the VNese army was battle tested and hardened from 30 odd years of warfare.

Today, the PLA is well equipped and trained. The VNese military is woefully ill-equipped to fight a prolonged conflict with China.

But in reality, China doesn't want to have to govern VN (as another province of course, Tibet style) and the VNese Navy isn't able to contest the PLA Navy on the sea.

Meanwhile, it wasn't just some "protests" in VN. A mob of more than 20,000 VNese went beserk and simply burned down 15-20 factories to the ground, damaged dozens more, injured hundreds and the VNese police stood by with their hands in their pockets.

China is already hitting VN hard with economic measures to punish the VNese govt. and people.

The VNese economy is going down, down, down and you can bet, so is the TEFL industry. Stay away from VN for the near future.
Prof.Gringo

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dream_Seller wrote:
Thanks. I think my friends are just overly cautious due to their families who live in Vietnam and get some sort of inside information of something. I Appreciate your response and I'm glad this issue doesn't affect the daily lives of expats.

Doesn't affect? OK, I was right there when the VNese MOB went CRAZY and burned down dozens of factories, either completely or partially, looting, beating people, killing people.

But hey, no prob, they only burned down a factory where I had some company classes, and most all of the other classes at all the other factories were cancelled.

BTW, the VNese aren't too bright either it seems, they mostly ransacked Taiwanese , Korean, Japanese places...
theoriginalprankster

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
China is already hitting VN hard with economic measures to punish the VNese govt. and people.

As the bullyboy does when it tries to steal toys from its playground neighbours.

I applaud Vietnam, and the Philippines, and Japan and India, and Taiwan, and Korea for telling China to piss off back to its own piss-stenched yard.

They could have done it in a more orderly fashion, but methinks China is not going to face one country, but an entire region, with Uncle Sam right behind.

China is trying to steal it's neighbours' marbles, and underestimates their willingness to throw down.

And no, the PLA aint that strong. That's a myth. There are plenty of grunts, but not a whole lot of decent machinery pr brains in their 'outfit'.
Prof.Gringo

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

theoriginalprankster wrote:
Quote:

As the bullyboy does when it tries to steal toys from its playground neighbours.

I applaud Vietnam, and the Philippines, and Japan and India, and Taiwan, and Korea for telling China to piss off back to its own piss-stenched yard.

They could have done it in a more orderly fashion, but methinks China is not going to face one country, but an entire region, with Uncle Sam right behind.

China is trying to steal it's neighbours' marbles, and underestimates their willingness to throw down.

And no, the PLA aint that strong. That's a myth. There are plenty of grunts, but not a whole lot of decent machinery pr brains in their 'outfit'.

Uncle Sam is going to ride in on it's high horse and save the day, huh?

Nope. Just more empty talk from the number one bully in the world, the US Govt.

Besides, China owns most of the US debt and China can just as easily embargo the USA... No more iPhones? The horror... the horror...

John Wayne said the US had to save the VNese from themselves some years ago and we know how that turned out. The USA won't ever go to bat to "defend" VN from China.

And the rest? Well, maybe the PI will actually have a few fighter/interceptors in a year or two, while VN wasted it's entire defense budget on a half dozen Russian subs.

China has an A/C Carrier and it's sub fleet numbers about 70, and that's just for starters.

If you hate China so much, why so many years teaching people you hate? Or at least, why so much time in a country you hate?
Prof.Gringo

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

theoriginalprankster wrote:
Quote:

Throw down? You mean actually do something? Such as...what?

There is no NATO or anything close in the S. China Sea area. The PI barely has a military that can not even control internal insurgencies in the PI.

VN can't even prevent China from drilling for oil with one rig.

Who else is there?

Japan is willing to fight it looks like, but I don't see the USA risking it's own precious navy for some useless islands in the ocean. The Chinese DF-21D "ship killer" missile is a real threat, aimed right at the US flat-tops. And at a 100 billion dollars of tax payer money a pop, plus 5,000 crew, losing one of those wouldn't be very popular back home, so it's best to just keep those far away from China.

So, who is going to throw down with what? Don't bring a knife to a gun fight.
I'm With Stupid

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 2:53 am    Post subject: Re: Tensions between Vietnam & China Reply with quote

Prof.Gringo wrote:
Meanwhile, it wasn't just some "protests" in VN. A mob of more than 20,000 VNese went beserk and simply burned down 15-20 factories to the ground, damaged dozens more, injured hundreds and the VNese police stood by with their hands in their pockets.

Well obviously. When have you ever known them to do anything else? I've never seen the police do anything in response to any actual criminals. Far safer to spend their time extorting money from law-abiding citizens.

Incidentally, one analysis of this was that a lot of it had nothing to do with China, and that was just an excuse to riot against factory owners that treat their workers so badly. Hence why the nationality of the factories didn't seem to matter.
I'm With Stupid

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 3:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Prof.Gringo wrote:
There is no NATO or anything close in the S. China Sea area. The PI barely has a military that can not even control internal insurgencies in the PI.

The USA has defence treaties with the Philippines, Japan and South Korea, and so it legally committed to defend them if any of them get attacked. But I doubt anyone's going to go to war over a bunch of uninhabited rocks. Probably wouldn't be the first time though.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Vietnam All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: