Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Izmir University of Economics - IEU

View previous topic :: View next topic  
eihpos

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 6:17 am    Post subject: Izmir University of Economics - IEU Reply with quote

Hi,

I'm looking for any recent info on IEU - there is a thread but from a few years back. I'd like to know what it's like to work there in general.
Any info would be great! Thanks!
Otterman Ollie

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, a lot of people would like to know about that place! Always goes very quiet when that question gets asked, must be very, very, very, very, very, good,or something else!
Nebbich

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 8:12 am    Post subject: IUE Reply with quote

Money is good...students are not bad although mostly spoilt rich kids. The HR dept is well organised and helpful...you get paid on time and have private health insurance (which you contribute to). Huge open plan office in the main building which is badly ventilated and is a hotbed of back-stabbing shite-hawkes. The worst thing here is the incestuous climate of foul gossip...a highly experienced teacher was forced out despite being cleared by an internal report because of septic gossip about identity theft. Of 6 new teachers hired in 2013, only 2 (maybe 3) are planning to stay on...that says something.
Otterman Ollie

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, oh yes, this is very much the cleaned up version, a lot more than 6 teachers have passed through those doors, pity they were some of the best ones who left because they knew better, others tossed out because they were not yesmen, virtually all foreign males. I hear the gosip has became even more toxic, there is a lot of hate and loathing there, you earn every crust! Good luck!
wander&teach

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 3:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretty much the same very accurate story at most Turkish educational institutions across the country. I have a brilliant suggestion. Instead of pointing out all the bad ones, maybe we could concentrate on talking up the better ones. That would make life much easier and the list would be substantially shorter.
Otterman Ollie

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, what a simple but brillant idea! Would you like to start?
Moonshadow_51

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 7:17 pm    Post subject: Izmir Economics University Reply with quote

I was invited to give a demo lesson at this university a few weeks ago (at my expense). The classroom was shaped like an egg carton - long and narrow, with only two rows. The white board was small and in the center of the room, so it was not clearly visible from either end of the room. One kid was sleeping by the window and the rest of the group was dazed and disinterested because they were about to take an exam.

I found it odd that I would be scheduled to visit on an exam day.

The open office gave me an uncomfortable feeling and, yes, just as another poster mentioned, I could sense a hostile environment within the department.

This school is simply another private hazerlik program for wealthy kids.

The most I can say for this university is that it is a modern building located on an attractive street.

I actually ended the interview midway.
Otterman Ollie

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

moonshadow 51 said:

The open office gave me an uncomfortable feeling and, yes, just as another poster mentioned, I could sense a hostile environment within the department.

Totally amazing, every one I spoke to WHO visited the place said pretty much the same thing, even to the point of expressing the view, "the fear factor was tangible"!
Tis no small coincidence, that 8 staff members are setting to sail for greener pastures (according to the local gossip mongers) all except one are foreign males! That says a lot I reckon!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Turkey All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: