Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Teaching IELTS in Madrid or other cities..
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
MuscatGary

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I taught IELTS in Bilbao, almost exclusively to the University students who wished to progress onto a Masters in the UK. You will find that they seriously favour teachers who can also converse in Spanish. I supplemented the IELTS work with Business and tourism English classes. My major advantage was having a Basque g/f with major family connections in the uni and in the tourism sector.
Saigonjack

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MuscatGary....I have a good friend in Bilbao who is doing a bit of research there for me. My Spanish sucks, unfortunately, but I wont let that bother me as its so much harder to learn for the student if you use their language and not the target language. I once got reprimanded at RMIT - the first overseas University here for saying 'xin chao' (hello) to a student. The University has a policy of English immersion...as do many schools here..
I'm good at networking and have a wide ESL/EAP/ESP experience, but I dont need a lot of hours...enough for rent, beers and pinchos..Smile...I want to use the free time on a house project and the work time to get to know what makes things tick as I'm thinking of living there..
Saigonjack

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MuscatGary..related to one of your threads

http://www.tefl.com/eye/sale/409/

no idea on the date of the advert..

there are w other schools/businesses for sale on the same page in Spain
jonniboy

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've taught IELTS a lot in both Latvia and Kazakhstan and my experience in two stints in Spain (2003-5 and 2011-12) was that, disappointingly, there was surprisingly little demand or at least, demand from people prepared to pay a fair price for it. Possibly part of that is cultural, Spanish are near the bottom of European league tables for people who travel abroad and that seems to feed through to students. A lot of them prefer to stay in their home country and study there. FCE and Trinity exams were more popular.

Also, you mentioned that you're interested in a "Spanish way of life." I don't know what that means to you, but Bilbao is a completely different kettle of fish. For one thing, the weather is closer to what you'll see in the UK than what people imagine Spain to be.
Saigonjack

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

johhnyboy...thanks for the info...I concur as regards the Spanish attitude towards language skills...a bit like the French, especially in Paris.. try Speaking English OR even Quebecois...
The 'Spanish way of life"..i see as being pretty laid back, as regards food and entertainment..When I taught In Ecuador there was always huge get- togethers, late dinners and Teacher 'lets go for a beer' AT 10 pm...I see a warm gregarious culture, which I'm sure can also be a bit xenophobic...
However the 'elephant in the room' for me is that this isnt a money making exercise, thats already done - its a lifestyle and the path to retirement, and owning a property..most likely in Andalusia, and IF it gets too cold in winter, then I'll spend a few months travelling around Asia -Smile)..
Luckily I have FCE experience as ALL local Vietnamese High School Teachers have to pass the FCE to teach, and I've been a part of this summer programme for 2 years now...
BUT I do like a good challenge ..
MuscatGary

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saigonjack wrote:
MuscatGary....I have a good friend in Bilbao who is doing a bit of research there for me. My Spanish sucks, unfortunately, but I wont let that bother me as its so much harder to learn for the student if you use their language and not the target language.

I agree with you but intermediate Spanish is a common stated requirement on the job ads in Spain. In the end the customer/client can dictate what they want. We can only decide if we're prepared to play the game according to their rules. btw the other posters are right, Bilbao is VERY different, not even Spain according to the locals!
Saigonjack

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MSG...As a Celt, Galicia / Basque country wouldnt be a problem..however I am more set on working in Madrid or Valencia or Seville as I want to get a property in Andalusia, and be close enough to get there and do some renovating as I intend to buy a 'project'....
Spanish...It was the same in Ecuador, but still worked at the National University and UDA there with no Spanish Smile)..Oh well better get the Berlitz CD or a 'cracked' Rosetta Stone -
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Spain All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: