Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Teaching In Madrid: Has The Market Changed In 10 Years?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
JRJohn

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 10:31 pm    Post subject: Teaching In Madrid: Has The Market Changed In 10 Years? Reply with quote

I used to teach in Madrid, and I would like to know if things have changed. The first time I went there, I was totally excited by the adventure of living in such an amazing, and fascinating city: the sort of place where you might just walk down the street and see entertaining people(not all of them sane)-what I would call the "human comedy" at its best, especially in the "Puerta del sol" area, but not exclusively. And this is without considering the city's active nightlife! In fact, I met interesting people without even leaving the house.
In Madrid, I found it very easy to make friends. It was as if I attracted people like a magnet. I was of course deliberately going out to meet people. The blessing was that it was so unlike other places-the south of England- or rural Korea-where people may take 6 months to warm up to you. I must admit I did speak the language fluently. That helped.
What about teaching? We-e-e-ll, that's another matter. Someone did suggest, with my Spanish skills, that I could do non-teaching jobs. Back then, before the economic catastrophe, that was possible.
What were the "academias" like? Well, during my first stint, it was almost ALL in-company. There were some kids but they were "at home" which was worse. Oh, I had some nice company classes. But it was strange-the school functioned more as an agency, giving me just a textbook. And businessmen and -women were by no means always available during class time. Classes were scattered like confetti over Madrid. Yes, the excellent transport system made things just about possible. But it was a struggle. The job threatened to unravel, and I kept looking for extra classes. I usually had to be careful with money and near the end had to use savings.
So different from the Far East!
It is also difficult to find a flat in Madrid. If you come in late August, as I did, it gets a bit easier, though.
Oh, and by the way, at no time in Madrid, did I ever get a contract! I wonder if anyone did?

The second time I was offered classes all inside the school. Again there was no contract, but I moved into a flat on day two, and had classes fairly quickly, in mid-August!!!! That is unheard of in Spain. August is for the beach not work. For a time, I had loads and loads of classes, but then the classes were cut back, and I was told I had to go. I was not capturing enough students. (The boss went round every few days asking if people wanted another teacher).
As soon as that happened, I booked my flight out of Spain. This was the last time I ever taught in Madrid. By then I had taught elsewhere and been rewarded for doing so! I have taught adult Spanish students since, and they were great. But often in Madrid, the job is more about being a salesman than a teacher. It's edu-tainment, yes, but also like selling used cars, or encyclopedias, you are selling yourself, in a more direct way than is usually the case.
How has Madrid changed? How has the teaching scene changed? Is the range of teaching options wider than it was?
Emotionally, I might want to return. But as I said before, it's not the only fascinating city. Istanbul, Tokyo, and Seoul are great. Some of Korea's smaller cities have a great nightlife. Beijing can be fun too. But Madrid? I would go back if I was going to do a master's degree in Spanish.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Spain All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: