Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Pattison English in Shenzhen

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Czaerana

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2010 12:27 pm    Post subject: Pattison English in Shenzhen Reply with quote

Does anyone know anything about this company? They are about to open another English training center in Shenzhen. The person I'm communicating with said they will reimburse me for airfare to fly from Fuzhou to Shenzhen to interview next week Is this company reputable?
Lei Feng

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any result with this school? If you ended up working there how is/was it?

They recently offered me a job, but I have no idea about it.
tangal

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A Test Preparation goldmine, lots of folks making big paychecks (14-20K & up) at their Coastal City center; they pay cash, no tax, but expect long hours and days, as they push lots of overtime (6-7 classes per day, 6 days per week, anything over 105 classes per month is o.t.). Two shifts, day 10am-6pm, swing 1-9pm; fairly stingy holiday, accomodation, Z-Visa sponsorship, and other pay and benefits, but depends on how well you negotiate. If you like working long hours, doing lots of 1-on-1 VIP classes, and making $$$ there are worse gigs in China.
bestteacher2012

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 5:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tangal wrote:
A Test Preparation goldmine, lots of folks making big paychecks (14-20K & up) at their Coastal City center; they pay cash, no tax,

Does this mean they employ teachers on L / F visas?
tangal

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They did a couple years ago, not sure if they still do, but with Hong Kong and F visas just a hop, skip, and a jump across the border...
likwid_777

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't hear any complaints about the branch in Harbin, though I never really asked too hard. And, could be a franchise also.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
5h09un

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

likwid_777 wrote:
I didn't hear any complaints about the branch in Harbin, though I never really asked too hard. And, could be a franchise also.

it's probably the best place to work in harbin if you want to teach adults.

if you want to teach kids, the best place is joy.
Lei Feng

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any other thoughts on this school?
Lei Feng

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just went through hell with this school.

I asked earlier, but never got a scary response. I could never find anything about them online and the salary offer was great: 16K a month, no apt, 105 hours a month with tons of OT over the summer.

The boss in Shenzhen, Gao Yang, spoke English well and the teacher manager did as well.

I move to Shenzhen and the school is a bit rundown, but it is centrally located.

I begin work and there are no books, no curriculam and zero direction as to what the students are expected to learn. It's all one-on-one class with random students that change daily.

It is next to impossible to lesson plan.

The other teachers are competitive and occasionally sabotage you or just talk your ear off about nonsense. Particularly, this one Israeli guy that can't shut up.

The management is either all up in your shit about nothing or completely non-responsive about important things like visas or accomadation assistance that was promised.

I can't deal with this place.

My understanding is that Pattison in China are all franchises. The Shenzhen franchise has two schools. The one I was in was a mess. No idea about the other one.

I will just hold tight for the summer and bail. It is way too haphazard so far. Plus, they had me sign a fake contract with a much lower salary just for the PSB to "expediate" my visa. That was weeks ago. I am very curious as to how they are going to do my salary.

In short, if you can, avoid Shenzhen Pattison.
Lei Feng

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I got paid. It was the right amount but it was close.

I went to ask for the remainder and I was given the run around.

In addition, they still have an Advert on echinacities claiming they offer 20K a month. Don't believe it.

The only good part that I can say is that as long as you don't completely shit the bed you have some room, but there has been such a turnover here. In fact, they are opening a new school in Long Hua and are tricking teachers to work there.

The new teachers are told they are in Shenzhen, but in reality they are way, way out in the industrial area. No supermarkets, no decent restaurants and a new school that smells of paint, no computers, can't print, no photocopies, and few students so that means a lesser paycheck.

Also, no visas.

This is just a pack of lies. Protect yourself and avoid this farce.
Alien abductee

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lei Feng wrote:
In addition, they still have an Advert on echinacities claiming they offer 20K a month. Don't believe it.

I've been trolling through the job offers and I came across a Pattison ad. It was last updated in June 2013, but is this their current ad?

http://jobs.echinacities.com/jobchapter/1354394018

It shows salaries starting at 14,000 and can rise to 20,000, that doesn't sound like a guaranteed offer of 20,000. Anytime you see a salary range it's a safe bet the offer will be at the lower end. TBH, I get suspicious of a place when I find they hire non-native speakers and ask people to sign fake contracts.
Lei Feng

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just want to bump this up.

Does anyone else have any new experiences to add?
water rat

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 3:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lei Feng wrote:
Just want to bump this up.

Does anyone else have any new experiences to add?
Bumpworthy indeed. Well done. However, I'd like to know if the Harbin franchise is any more professional. Sometimes in a masochistic mood I fancy living in Harbin and working hard. Can any one tell us please?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only) All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: