Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

"Teaching" philosophy at Sabis/Choueifat schools
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Middle East Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
johnslat

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear 2buckets,

Me, too - I was in Shiraz. Where were you, if I may ask? And have you seen Argo? If so, what do you think about it?

Regards,
John
2buckets

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Johnslat:

I was in Isfahan, (Bell Helicopter), then evacuated to Tehran in March, 1979. I was married to an Iranian and we were OK staying with my wife's family until Nov. 4,1979. Then it was time to go. We got out overland to Turkey. My wife's sister-in-law was from Tabriz and had family contacts to get us across the border on foot. I'm dark complected, and speak Farsi,( but with a Kabul accent), so was able to pass.

Saw Argo, liked it, but that Bazaar scene was pretty hairy. Realistically the Iranian shouting and drawing the big crowd, so typical. I just wonder if the ending at the airport was as dramatic as the movie, being chased down the runway and all.

While staying in Tehran we had friends in the center of town who were close to the rebels. We visited frequently. The rebels would come in, smoke opium with us, then when tanks showed up in the neighborhood, they would grab their arms, go on the roof and start shooting. We retreated to the basement as indiscriminate gunfire shot up the place.

When did you leave?
johnslat

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear 2buckets,

Wow - quite an "adventure" - that's what we call them when we survive; otherwise, they're a tragedy. Very Happy

In Shiraz, I lived across from the army base. On the day the revolution spread to Shiraz, I went to the rooftop, saw the black smoke from all the burning tires, and watched as a crowd of people wended their way towards the base across the street. For about 20 minutes there was gunfire - a number of the protestors in the crowd were hit. But then, the soldiers threw open the gates and everyone poured in, embracing and hugging the troops (some of whom had probably just been shooting at them.)

Well, they closed the airports down, so I wasn't able to leave Shiraz until about mid-March, Flew up to Tehran first, spent the night there. Gunfire at intervals during the night. Got out the next day.

I liked the movie, too. That scene reminded me of one in Shiraz. A bunch of us teachers were in a van going home because strikes had closed the university, The van got surrounded by students, who then began "rocking it." But it all ended well - they stopped and we proceeded (slowly) onwards.

Good times. Very Happy

So, when people ask me how I liked Iran, I can tell them it was striking and revolting. But I'm quick to let them know that I'd go back in a heartbeat.

Iranians: perhaps the best friends AND the worst enemies one can have. Very Happy

Regards,
John
nomad soul

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pssst! I'm steering you guys to a more relevant thread for your discussion so that this one doesn't continue to go way off topic.

Head to: http://forums.eslcafe.com/job/viewtopic.php?t=107159
2buckets

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 2:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd go back in a heartbeat too, and have as I am a carpet dealer now and have been back for their annual carpet exhibition a couple of times. This is one way to get a visa as an American.

When I was in Abu Dhabi some Iranian friends with "parti barzee" (wasta), got me visas to travel to Iran as well.

Oh, did I mention, I thought Choueifat was OK.
2buckets

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, steerage is my preferred method of sea travel.
El Hobo

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

2buckets wrote:
El Hobo:

That's your option, but what do I gain by not telling the truth.

I'm sure you're telling the truth - just wanted to express my surprise that such people would choose such a despised and authoritarian school.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Middle East Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: