Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

EFL University Positions: Cebu or Davao?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Philippines
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DaveT383

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 1:51 am    Post subject: EFL University Positions: Cebu or Davao? Reply with quote

Hi! I have been teaching EFL at the university level for the past 10 years in Seoul and am planning on relocating in the new year 2015. I am scouting information on what universities in either Cebu or Davao would be good options and looking for peope's opinions in regard to life in general in these 2 cities. Any information would be appreciated. (As for qualifications, I have both a BEd and an MEd in Applied Linguistics).
Thanks for your input.
Cheers,
Dave
suphanburi

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 3:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'd be hard pressed to find uni or any (legal) work in either location.

There are lots of home grown PhDs (many of whom were educated in the US) who don't have visa issues and who work for about $800/month (or less).

IF you have a 13a (married to a Pinay) then the picture changes (you can work but the wages are still low (25000 php/month (about 600k won)).

IF you are balikbayan (married but no visa then no - you still have visa issues and cannot legally work).

DaveT383

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Suphanburi, Thank you for your reply. How disheartening! I am a little stunned. I have no experience with the Philippine situation having spent so many years in Seoul, but I was under the impression that it was not difficult to find work in this field there. If you can tell me more, I would appreciate it. It seems like the main opportunity then is to work in private language academies in the Philippines, institutes on a par with Korean hagwons.
Thanks for your input.
suphanburi

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaveT383 wrote:
Suphanburi, Thank you for your reply. How disheartening! I am a little stunned. I have no experience with the Philippine situation having spent so many years in Seoul, but I was under the impression that it was not difficult to find work in this field there. If you can tell me more, I would appreciate it. It seems like the main opportunity then is to work in private language academies in the Philippines, institutes on a par with Korean hagwons.
Thanks for your input.

Not "on-par" with Korean hagwons.... they ARE Korean hagwons. There is no shortage of Korean hagwons running in Cebu. There is work to be had and the pay is, on average, about 250p/hr. (They don't pay more because they don't have to - there are lots of US expat retirees hanging around to do the work).

These jobs don't come with a visa. You work illegally on an extended tourist visa (can stay for up to 2 years before you have to leave the country) unless you have a 13a.

The Philippines is a net exporter of EFL teachers to the rest of SE Asia.
Many of the professors at the universities in Cebu and Davao have done graduate level work in the USA (their English is excellent).
They don't see a need to import EFL teachers so for a foreigner the task of obtaining a visa to work in EFL is nigh on impossible.

As I said earlier, IF you are married to a Pinay then you can get a 13a (non-immigrant, permanent resident) visa and the picture changes (you can legally work) so applying as a guest lecturer at the various unis in Cebu is possible although poorly paid.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Philippines All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: