Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Prospects for a newbie?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Russia & C.I.S.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
samb

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 9:17 am    Post subject: Prospects for a newbie? Reply with quote

Hi. I'd like someone on the ground to give me a realistic picture of my job prospects in Russia.

Me: 29yrs old. New Zealander. Postgraduate arts degree (English Lit. and Philosophy). Mixed job experience -- everything from editing to manual labour. Healthy, confident, very Anglo in appearance, if that makes any difference. A few questions:

1. I need to be able to save at least a small amount of money (student loan repayments to be made if I ever want to return home). I'm thrifty though -- would expect to share a flat, etc. I'm not one of these Americans who expects a separate bathroom for every resident of a house, and the dog. Not a fussy eater. My main indulgence is music -- whichever city I'm in, I want to get out and see what's going on in the local experimental/punk/ jazz etc scene. So realistically, I want enough money to eat, go out once a week, rent a room and put a small amount aside. Assuming for the moment that I get a CELTA soon and am not a complete idiot/social misfit, what are my chances of finding a job in a big city that would let me do this?

2. Is it feasible for me to do a CELTA in Thailand (cheapest place to do it, certainly when coming from here) and then find work in Russia that doesn't completely suck? Would paying an extra $1500 (when accom. is factored in) to do it in Moscow instead make a huge difference to my job prospects.

Many thanks for any replies. I'm considering China too, having gained the impression that it's an easier place to find work and save money, but Russia appeals more culturally. Hence the questions. Thanks!
kazpat

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

meh, nevermind.
samb

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No one?
grahamb

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 12:22 pm    Post subject: Advice about Russia Reply with quote

Try asking Sasha; his enthusiasm for Mother Russia is unrivalled on this board.
JN

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Judging from what I've read on this board, go with a CELTA in Moscow and work for a McSchool. Then you get experience with Russian students and with a McSchool you get accommodation. Then after you "pay your dues" you can maybe get more work, which should translate to more money.

There may be other opinions, but that's what I've gotten out of reading this board.
kittenshoes

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been working at Language Link in Moscow for the past year. I went through their intern program, which was excellent as far as support and preparation for teaching, but I know they hire teachers with a CELTA certificate at a much higher pay rate than interns.

My experience with the school has been really positive. I was warned that they are a "McSchool" and not to expect much, but I have been pleasantly surprised! My flat here is paid for and it's quite nice. They reimbursed me for my flight and my visa. The admin is really supportive and the schedule is relatively flexible.

Hope that helps!
samb

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the feedback!
I have been looking at Language Link. It's good to hear that they're a legitimate option. Any other opinions? How do they compare to the other big schools? Should I resign myself to trying for one of these or are other options viable?
kittenshoes

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 5:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A lot of people start with a big school for the first year, then (once theyhave "Russified" and they're more familiar with the way things work here) they strike out on their own and freelance or find a different school.

I'm staying on with Language Link for the foreseeable future, but it's a good introduction to teaching life in Moscow for someone who is interested in bigger prospects down the line. Once you are here, the job offers pour in constantly! Native English speakers are a really valuable commodity here.
expatella_girl

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kittenshoes wrote:
I have been working at Language Link in Moscow for the past year. I went through their intern program, which was excellent as far as support and preparation for teaching, but I know they hire teachers with a CELTA certificate at a much higher pay rate than interns.

My experience with the school has been really positive. I was warned that they are a "McSchool" and not to expect much, but I have been pleasantly surprised! My flat here is paid for and it's quite nice. They reimbursed me for my flight and my visa. The admin is really supportive and the schedule is relatively flexible.

Hope that helps!

That's very refreshing, and I appreciate it. We don't often see positive references here.....especially for the likes of Language Link.

But that you bothered to state your satisfaction and the reasons for it, I salute you.

Thanks for posting. Please come around more often. Sometimes our little Russian kitchen table needs a new guest.
kittenshoes

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the welcome!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Russia & C.I.S. All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: