Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Working in OMAN colleges - feedback please
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Oman
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Preet

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 3:29 am    Post subject: Working in OMAN colleges - feedback please Reply with quote

Why does Ministry of Manpower, Oman recruit lecturers every year? They are coming to India next month to recruit teachers for various subjects.

What about the teachers recruited last year?
nomad soul

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 5:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Generally, increased recruitment points to one or a combination of the following factors:

1) There's an increase in student enrollment
2) The college or university is expanding its physical facilities and/or number or types of courses offered
3) To fill open positions because previously-hired teachers either were terminated, decided not to renew their contracts, suddenly quit, transferred to a different institution/department...
MuscatGary

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Because most real teachers want to teach and it is almost impossible to do so in Oman. Teachers are actually babysitters, paid to keep disaffected Omani youth occupied and off the streets. I've managed to stick it out for 3.5 years and have seen 70% of the ex-pat teachers leave every year, often before the end of the year. I'm now leaving as the country is becoming a less liberal and pleasant place to live by the week. Basically the money is no longer good enough to put up with the job and the country.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well... many of the teachers hired for these colleges are not "real teachers" either. There have been many instances of extremely poor vetting by the companies that do the hiring. It has been poorly run, and the government would have been better done if the Ministry had followed the example of successful SQU. But... as happens too commonly... they decided to do it on the cheap and this is the result.

As always some locations are better run than others, but since management changes darn near as often as teachers, it is a gamble. It will continue to be a foot in the door job to the Gulf, and a chance to move up the pay scale with something to put on the CV related to Arabic speakers. Not to mention it is similar to the problems that one finds at various levels up and down the Gulf.

VS
MuscatGary

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MOHE this year have demanded attestated copies of all degrees and high school certificates and attestated transcripts of both. The agencies are asking for the same for next year from new teachers AND renewals. SQU is an exception, the fact is that no matter how good the teachers are the students at the CAS colleges should generally not be in HE. There are a few exceptions, mainly female students each year, but not many. They are not real students, they are pupils who expect to be taught and not to have to study independently.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MuscatGary wrote:
MOHE this year have demanded attestated copies of all degrees and high school certificates and attestated transcripts of both.

SQU required "attested copies of degrees" even back in the 80s, but I guess that they have finally figured out that this is a meaningless exercise that proves nothing if they have finally asked for transcripts. That said, even having those pieces of "attested" paper doesn't really prove that they are professional teachers. IMHO, related experience - with the key being related - is more important.

Not to mention that the whole point of these colleges is to get the kids off the streets for a few years since there are no jobs... and teaching those that don't really want to be there... or don't have the ability... makes it a bit of a slog.

Based on my experience, the females should take over the running of this part of the world. They are the ones with the energy, interest, and drive to learn and work. (perhaps all of the world... they certainly couldn't do worse that the current situation)

VS
MuscatGary

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

veiledsentiments wrote:

Based on my experience, the females should take over the running of this part of the world. They are the ones with the energy, interest, and drive to learn and work. (perhaps all of the world... they certainly couldn't do worse that the current situation)VS

I couldn't agree more! At least in relation to Oman and the ME.
Rostom

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

veiledsentiments wrote:
Based on my experience, the females should take over the running of this part of the world. They are the ones with the energy, interest, and drive to learn and work. (perhaps all of the world... they certainly couldn't do worse that the current situation)VS

Indeed, that's why Hillary Clinton is running to be president of the USA!
May be a female president will solve the problems of America!

"People ought to think about their own daughters, their own sisters, their own mothers, when they make comments about women in public life."
Hillary Clinton.
MuscatGary

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rostom wrote:
Indeed, that's why Hillary Clinton is running to be president of the USA!
May be a female president will solve the problems of America!

We tried that in the UK once, well PM anyway, wasn't a particularly great success!
CANDLES

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
We tried that in the UK once, well PM anyway, wasn't a particularly great success!

Well, subsequent 'Leaders' since then have just been as bad, besides there is no woman at the moment who could be the next PM Crying or Very sad
Whatever will be

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Female Omanis are only marginally more studious than the males.

Here is my observation based on classroom behavior:

Use of phones in class: 80 % male, 40 % females
No homework: 90 % male, 60 % females
Late to class: 75 % male, 25 % females
Taking extended breaks : 90 % males, 90 % females
Rudeness, disrespect: 65 % males, 10 % females
Poor work ethic: 99% male, 95 % female

Overall, the female students/ population is relatively speaking ' better' behaved than the male population. However, the female are no pleasure to teach either.
CANDLES

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately this is an overall view and theme of practically all the Middle Eastern students. Crying or Very sad
MuscatGary

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whatever will be wrote:

Use of phones in class: 80 % male, 40 % females
No homework: 90 % male, 60 % females
Late to class: 75 % male, 25 % females
Taking extended breaks : 90 % males, 90 % females
Rudeness, disrespect: 65 % males, 10 % females
Poor work ethic: 99% male, 95 % female

I don't have these problems due to the following practices:

Use of phones in class - one warning in first week then thrown out of class on all subsequent occasions. Bonus that they are marked absent and if exceeding 20% absence thrown off the course thereby reducing my workload.

No homework - no problem, I record the fact and if they do badly the I use it to explain why. Especially good as I don't have to read the dross and comment on it.

Late to class - - one warning in first week then not allowed in class on all subsequent occasions. Bonus that they are marked absent and if exceeding 20% absence thrown off the course thereby reducing my workload.

Taking extended breaks - Happens once and no further breaks are given for the rest of the semester.

Rudeness, disrespect - - one warning in first week then thrown out of class on all subsequent occasions. Bonus that they are marked absent and if exceeding 20% absence thrown off the course thereby reducing my workload.

Poor work ethic - Their problem, will come back to haunt them when the oil is gone.

I explain my rules in the first class and that they are in line with the official college rules.

One of the main problems I see in Oman is timorous teachers who are scared to impose any classroom discipline. This is especially the problem with non-native speakers who are determined to cling on to the job no matter what happens.
CANDLES

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks MuscatGary for your information.

Do you not think that we have tried all of this, but are overruled by the administration and the Dean who will reinstate the students because the parents have complained, even with proof?

It works for you- good for you, but overall for most teachers it doesn't, unfortunately, even though we are good, disciplined teachers and 80% of the time have decent students, but the 20% are always going to be dross and daddy will buy his job for him/her!

So not bothered about that 20%!
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm with MuscatGary on this one. I set the rules on day one, enforced them equally, and both managements supported my decisions.

As is constantly said on the Saudi board, but also true in Oman these days, choose your employer carefully. And if you can't, you will likely have to be flexible...

VS
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Oman All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: