Site Search:

TEFL International Supports Dave's ESL Cafe
TEFL Courses, TESOL Course, English Teaching Jobs - TEFL International
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Bangkok Success and Echo English

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Thailand
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Coops88

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 3:41 pm    Post subject: Bangkok Success and Echo English Reply with quote

I applied online for jobs with these two companies and have had responses from both. Echo English asking if I have a BA and Bangkok Success making an initial suggestive offer of 30,000 baht for a 4.5 month term.

My question really is: Are these companies good to work for?

I've been doing some reading and 30,000 baht per month to live on seems low, especially when I have to think about the visa costs.
EFL Educator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello there,

To be a success in Bangkok you need to earn at least Baht 40,000/Month. The Baht 30,000/Month salary offer you received has not changed in some 30 years !or so. Note there are literally hundreds of EFL teachers looking for teaching work in Bangkok daily and most do not have a work permit or correct visa status. If you wish to teach in Bangkok you will have very little savings....if you earn Baht 30,000 month upcountry in Issan or down south in Surattani or Chumpon or anywhere else but in Bangkok for that matter you could save up to half your salary if frugal! Good luck and enjoy Thailand! Smile
suphanburi

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 10:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Bangkok Success and Echo English Reply with quote

Coops88 wrote:
I applied online for jobs with these two companies and have had responses from both. Echo English asking if I have a BA and Bangkok Success making an initial suggestive offer of 30,000 baht for a 4.5 month term.

My question really is: Are these companies good to work for?

I've been doing some reading and 30,000 baht per month to live on seems low, especially when I have to think about the visa costs.

Bottom line:

For a visa and work permit you MUST have a degree and either be a native speaker OR have a TOEIC certificate with a score over 600. A TEFL certificate is NOT a legal requirement.

If you are missing either (degree + passport OR TOEIC cert) then a visa and work permit is NOT going to happen. You will be an illegal, migrant worker and there is NO work-around other than by committing visa fraud.

IF you qualify for a visa/WP then get yourself a double entry tourist visa from a Thai consulate and get on a plane.
With the exception of the period from Dec-Feb there are usually jobs to be found in the 35k range without much effort within a week of arrival.

If you are here in either: October (mid year break) or April-May (start of term) there will be lots of jobs to choose from.

Do be aware that companies who recruit newbies from abroad for "entry level EFL work" in Thailand usually do so because their local reputations are so bad that they cannot recruit locally. Good companies have no problem recruiting locally and usually have their pick of replacement teachers.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Thailand All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: