Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Anyone taught Djibouti?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Africa Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mr. English

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 8:57 am    Post subject: Anyone taught Djibouti? Reply with quote

Has anyone ever taught in Djibouti, or have information that is better than third hand about teaching in Djibouti?
cartago

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, were you offered a job here? The problem with Djibouti is that it is rather expensive because everything has to be imported. However it's still a really poor undeveloped country with all of the problems associated with that, Poor people hassling you in the street, sporadic water service, etc. The climate is also terrible, it's right on the coast so it's extremely hot. Of course you expect hot with Africa but neighboring countries like Ethiopia and Eritrea have much nicer climates. There's also surprisingly little to do other than sleazy nightclubs.
Mr. English

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi cartage, and thanks for answering. Climate I can find myself on the internet, and having been around the world a few times I am not in need of basic information about what goes on on the street in poor countries, thank you. Sleazy nightclubs are not so uncommon on planet earth, and opportunities in Ethiopia and Eritrea are what they are; I am enquiring about Djibouti. As to expecting "hot with Africa", clearly you have not been to all of Africa; try South African uplands in the southern hemisphere winter or the highlands of Kenya in July or August. You say "yes", so you have worked there? Can you say anything other than the fact that there are sleazy nightclubs? What are the job opportunities if any? How do the wages compare to the cost of living?
cartago

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes I have worked in Djibouti. Since you're so well-traveled I'm sure you can find the information yourself.
Mr. English

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anyone else worked there and noticed anything at all other than the weather and the sleazy bars?
cartago

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my original post I mentioned a lot more than that and I only mentioned sleazy bars in the context of there not being much other entertainment. The country doesn't even have a cinema or any parks. I declined to give more information because you didn't even read my original post properly and just made condescending comments.
danmbob

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I taught at the university of djibouti in 2010/11. The salary was $1500 /month for an MA. I taught 24 hrs per week mostly pronunciation and conversation. Most classes around 100 students. No curriculum but esl textbooks for the teacher were available though none for the students. If you teach in the continuing ed program you can make a bit extra. Also I knew a Kenyan teacher who taught at the Alliance Francaise. You could also do private lessons for bigwigs if you can get introduced.No flight help no rent help though they did find me an apt. I was told I was the first Western english teacher to be hired at the university. Knowing French beforehand is a good idea. My contract was in French as well as virtually everything else in the country.
Mr. English

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the information. How much is rent for a halfway decent apartment, and generally how did you do on the salary?
danmbob

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I rented a studio near the Palais de People, it was $340 though there were things a bit nicer for a little more money. I ate lots of street food, took French classes, and went on a few excursions with some other expats. There's several western style grocery stores and even a liquor store. You're not going to get rich but I lived on it and I was even paying back student loans!

The Faculty was pretty diverse with profs from around Africa. When I was there, there were people from Kenya, Senegal, Burkina Faso, France, and Libya and I'm sure there were others I didn't know about. Let me know if you have other questions
t_murakami

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 6:57 am    Post subject: High utilitiy bills, some crazy taxi drivers,good snorkeling Reply with quote

I was there working for US Navy. Actually a growing base w/ a small pool, fighter jets ...nice US food if you manage to ever get invited. Surprisingly small Japanese Base & good sized french base all in South end of town.
French friends complained lots about price of cheese, yogurt, meat... As someone said all is imported ! Soil has high salt content so growing is tough.
HOT, Hot ! but friends also kept their A/C crazy low due to hi costs (an issue for many)
Depends on salary, I'd say, if it is affordable or not ...also crazy stuff like you must leave work to pay your monthly bills in person (well, in 2011, anyway)
Good side is "elite" natives, I found to be polite and alright folks. Reasonable scuba trips most of year/ snorkeling, coral. ..Some never get used to all the panhandlers, but you learn to ignore it....Good Luck
t_murakami

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 7:23 am    Post subject: "Nothing to do" Not exactly true Reply with quote

Just read that above comment. If you don't speak French is harder to make friends and do everything. Actually some quality restaurants like le Poivrier and 4 star hotel, Kempinski for coffee.drinks/dinner. Really fun Ethiopian "dinner/show at Etoile Kokeb. If you are good at haggling, the open markets will be fun (scarves, carvings) The " epouses emia djibouti blog" good source on fun there. LoL ! French Army Wives. Some don't care for them but they know all about what's cheapest & fun to do & their kids like to try their english....
El Hobo

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. English wrote:
Hi cartage, and thanks for answering. Climate I can find myself on the internet, and having been around the world a few times I am not in need of basic information about what goes on on the street in poor countries, thank you. Sleazy nightclubs are not so uncommon on planet earth, and opportunities in Ethiopia and Eritrea are what they are; I am enquiring about Djibouti. As to expecting "hot with Africa", clearly you have not been to all of Africa; try South African uplands in the southern hemisphere winter or the highlands of Kenya in July or August. You say "yes", so you have worked there? Can you say anything other than the fact that there are sleazy nightclubs? What are the job opportunities if any? How do the wages compare to the cost of living?

Nice attitude, Mr English. Good luck on interview.
Mr. English

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Being 61 years old and having outstanding interview skills I am not in need of a wish for "good luck" from you.
El Hobo

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. English wrote:
Being 61 years old

Good luck on interview.
MuscatGary

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sleazy nightclubs? How do I get a job there?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Africa Forum All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: