Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Teach Away Inc. and Reach to Teach
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AbeCross

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 10:56 pm    Post subject: Teach Away Inc. and Reach to Teach Reply with quote

These two recruiters seem to be active and well-regarded-at least by EFL recruiting standards, but they are very different. For starters, they recommend different TEFL courses. Teach Away recommends only the online certificate from the University of Toronto. Reach to Teach recommends a variety of courses and promo codes for some of them.
Has anyone had experience with either of these organizations? Reach to Teach seems reputable(excellent BBB rating) but information on Teach Away is harder to come by.
Thank you kindly for any feedback.
jtea

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found my job at Berlitz from Teach Away. However, I honestly can't give you too much information about TA though :/

I found Teach Away through a Google search and they had a job opening in a location I liked and they were hiring during a time frame at which I could leave so I applied for it. At the time I didn't know Teach Away was a recruiting agency.

Long story short, they contacted me for an interview pretty quickly (maybe within a week?). That was the initial screening and it was then that I found which company I was actually going to work for. I only had one short (20 minute) interview with a recruiter so I didn't really deal with Teach Away all that much. They were pretty nice and efficient in terms of turn around time. Once I started interviewing with Berlitz, Teach Away didn't have much of a role.

Basically, these recruiting agencies just set you up with companies that use them to find applicants overseas. What they're standards are...I can't really say. I got my TESL certificate independent of what these recruiters asked for so I was already more than qualified in that area. I think for their "recommendations" it's for people who haven't received TESL training and more than likely, they receive a percentage of the pay from people who sign up for those courses.

Regardless of what Teach Away's requirements may be, it's ultimately up to the company that you'll work for who'll decide if you are qualified. Depending on where you are choosing to go, if you know the general/average requirements and fit those, you can most likely apply for any job on those sites and do decent. It's no different than submitting an application directly to a company...you just have one extra step.

Not sure if that helped any. I had a blog entry with slightly more details on Teach Away, but not much. http://pristine.nu/teach-away-berlitz-interview/

Last edited by jtea on Tue Jun 03, 2014 12:55 am; edited 1 time in total
suphanburi

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In regards to the TEFL certs:

Teachaway is financially involved in the "U of Toronto course" (a misnomer since it is a NON accredited, non-credit program that is actually offered by Ontario Institute for Studies in Education (OISE) at the U of T) so that is the one they "promote".

Reach to Teach is just a re-seller of various programs... they get paid a commission if you use one of them so they don't care which of several you use.

in regards to "recruiting".... a sage on the Korean board has often quoted:

ttompatz wrote:
use both but be aware of:
- what a recruiter is,
- what they do, and
- just as importantly - what they do not do.

They are all good and they are all bad.

Every recruiter out there has some happy customers and some who are not happy for any number of reasons.

BUT

They (recruiters) are an introduction to a potential employer that you yourself would not otherwise be able to find.

Then, if they are any good at their job (individually, not the firm), they guide you through the placement and assist with the paperwork necessary to get you as far as the employer.

They are NOT your friend.
They do NOT work for you (they are paid for and work for the employer).

They are like a used car salesman.
You walk onto their car-lot (website), peruse the cars (available jobs), if you see one you like you inquire about it.

After you listen to the sales pitch you let YOUR mechanic have a look at it (due diligence checking out the school).

If it is all good then you make the offer (accept the contract) and complete the sale (begin the paperwork for your visa application).

A good salesman will ensure that the paperwork is in order to make the sale and allow you to register the car. (A good recruiter will make sure your paperwork is in order and help get you through the paperwork to get your visa.)

I have no problem with using a recruiter or telling anyone else to use one (or more the case, many). They are your best option for fining the BEST fit when it comes to a job in Korea (or most of Asia for that matter).

For someone who is abroad, no connections and no ability to communicate in Korean then recruiters are a necessary evil.

That doesn't mean it is a crap shoot.

ALL recruiters are good. All recruiters are bad.
BUT they are a bridge to a job that you would not otherwise find.

The trick is in understanding what they are and what they do then understanding that due diligence is YOUR responsibility BEFORE you sign on the dotted line.

AbeCross

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 11:12 am    Post subject: University of Toronto? Reply with quote

"Teachaway is financially involved in the "U of Toronto course" (a misnomer since it is a NON accredited, non-credit program that is actually offered by Ontario Institute for Studies in Education (OISE) at the U of T) so that is the one they "promote". "

There is nothing on their website about the OISE! It is deceptive practices like these that give TEFL and the TEFL-training industry a bad name.
Xie Lin

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have missed tttompatz's incomparable information-packed posts since he moved to Korea. Thailand's loss . . . Crying or Very sad

naturegirl321

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Xie Lin wrote:
I have missed tttompatz's incomparable information-packed posts since he moved to Korea. Thailand's loss . . . Crying or Very sad

He's not traveling back and forth like he did for years?
Xie Lin

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

naturegirl321 wrote:
Xie Lin wrote:

He's not traveling back and forth like he did for years?

I don't know the answer to that. He posted frequently here until late spring of last year when his posts just stopped. Sometime later I noticed that he was posting on the Korea board, so I just assumed he had relocated for the 2014-15 school year. No evidence beyond that--I'm happy to be wrong! Someone who reads the Korea forum regularly may know more than I do. Wink

ETA: I've noticed one poster who has been on this board about the same length of time that tttompatz has been gone, and who posts similarly knowledgeable, detailed information using some of the same vocabulary and phrasing. While I am not convinced of a second incarnation, the thought has crossed my mind on more than one occasion. But, again, others may be way ahead of me! Very Happy

naturegirl321

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know about a reincarnation. I see no reason why he would do that. I'm pretty sure he owns an institute in the Philippines. He's been in and out of Korea for a long time but not coming back to stay for many reasons.

OP anyways as recruiters they're amongst the decent ones.
rtm

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Xie Lin wrote:
ETA: I've noticed one poster who has been on this board about the same length of time that tttompatz has been gone, and who posts similarly knowledgeable, detailed information using some of the same vocabulary and phrasing. While I am not convinced of a second incarnation, the thought has crossed my mind on more than one occasion. But, again, others may be way ahead of me! Very Happy

You're not the only one. Wink

suphanburi

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

naturegirl321 wrote:
I don't know about a reincarnation. I see no reason why he would do that. I'm pretty sure he owns an institute in the Philippines. He's been in and out of Korea for a long time but not coming back to stay for many reasons.

OP: sorry for the thread hijack.

I think he owns a house and farm in the Philippines and runs a largish school (~2500 students) in Thailand as well as commuting to Korea for 4 months of the year as a consultant.

He might also be doing post grad research on the effects of early childhood (L2) literacy and its relationship to 4-skill language development (in Thailand).

Xie Lin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

suphanburi wrote:
naturegirl321 wrote:

OP: sorry for the thread hijack.

I think he owns a house and farm in the Philippines and runs a largish school (~2500 students) in Thailand as well as commuting to Korea for 4 months of the year as a consultant.

He might also be doing post grad research on the effects of early childhood (L2) literacy and its relationship to 4-skill language development (in Thailand).

Ah, suphanburi! You can be our resident tttompatz expert--thank you for the update! Well done! Smile Smile Smile

Janiny

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know if they're any good or not, but I hate the name 'Teachaway'. It sounds like a spray repellent - to keep teachers away. Crying or Very sad
Juice

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 3:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

suphanburi wrote:
In regards to the TEFL certs:

Teachaway is financially involved in the "U of Toronto course" (a misnomer since it is a NON accredited, non-credit program that is actually offered by Ontario Institute for Studies in Education (OISE) at the U of T) so that is the one they "promote".

Reach to Teach is just a re-seller of various programs... they get paid a commission if you use one of them so they don't care which of several you use.

in regards to "recruiting".... a sage on the Korean board has often quoted:

ttompatz wrote:
use both but be aware of:
- what a recruiter is,
- what they do, and
- just as importantly - what they do not do.

They are all good and they are all bad.

Every recruiter out there has some happy customers and some who are not happy for any number of reasons.

BUT

They (recruiters) are an introduction to a potential employer that you yourself would not otherwise be able to find.

Then, if they are any good at their job (individually, not the firm), they guide you through the placement and assist with the paperwork necessary to get you as far as the employer.

They are NOT your friend.
They do NOT work for you (they are paid for and work for the employer).

They are like a used car salesman.
You walk onto their car-lot (website), peruse the cars (available jobs), if you see one you like you inquire about it.

After you listen to the sales pitch you let YOUR mechanic have a look at it (due diligence checking out the school).

If it is all good then you make the offer (accept the contract) and complete the sale (begin the paperwork for your visa application).

A good salesman will ensure that the paperwork is in order to make the sale and allow you to register the car. (A good recruiter will make sure your paperwork is in order and help get you through the paperwork to get your visa.)

I have no problem with using a recruiter or telling anyone else to use one (or more the case, many). They are your best option for fining the BEST fit when it comes to a job in Korea (or most of Asia for that matter).

For someone who is abroad, no connections and no ability to communicate in Korean then recruiters are a necessary evil.

That doesn't mean it is a crap shoot.

ALL recruiters are good. All recruiters are bad.
BUT they are a bridge to a job that you would not otherwise find.

The trick is in understanding what they are and what they do then understanding that due diligence is YOUR responsibility BEFORE you sign on the dotted line.

Both of these agencies are blacklisted for quite some time and it is a fairy tale when they tell people "YOU MUST HAVE A TEFL CERTIFICATE TO TEACH IN CHINA." This is a blatant lie. I taught in China and none of the foreign teachers at my school had a TEFL certificate, and I met dozens of teachers in China who don't have one.

If they have to lie to sign you up then they are pond scum - plain and simple.
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's semi true. It's one of the reqs for China but there are ways around it. China is china.
suphanburi

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 3:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Juice wrote:
Both of these agencies are blacklisted for quite some time and it is a fairy tale when they tell people "YOU MUST HAVE A TEFL CERTIFICATE TO TEACH IN CHINA." This is a blatant lie. I taught in China and none of the foreign teachers at my school had a TEFL certificate, and I met dozens of teachers in China who don't have one.

If they have to lie to sign you up then they are pond scum - plain and simple.

SAFEA requirements include a TEFL cert.
Generic TEFL certs from the Photoshop TEFL school abound.
Just because you don't have one doesn't mean you don't have one.
China is China.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: