Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

General Middle East advice

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Middle East Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
slquoue

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 3:34 pm    Post subject: General Middle East advice Reply with quote

Hi all,

I imagine you get similar questions to this quite a lot, but googling 'Teach English Middle East' leads to dozens of results that never quite provide the right information! So I come to this forum hoping someone can point me in the right direction.

So, I want to teach English in the Middle East for one year with my girlfriend. I have a CELTA from IH London, and 3 years of teaching experience in high schools in South Korea and Japan. I have a postgraduate MA in an unrelated field, and have worked in ELT publishing.

My questions are:

1. The main aim of the year would be to save money. Could you name a top three list of Middle Eastern countries in which to do this? I wouldn't necessarily go for number one if, say, number two or three had a big cultural advantage in terms of a more vibrant quality of life, interesting culture etc.

2. With my stated experience, what kind of jobs can I realistically expect? What kind of salary can I realistically expect, and how much can I expect to save? I heard that a lot of jobs provide free accommodation.

3. Would these countries be happy for me to bring my (unmarried) girlfriend with me given cultural considerations?

4. What specific job sites / companies / universities would you recommend me contacting if I'm intending to try to get a higher level / non-entry level teaching job in the Middle East?

Many thanks for any help you can provide and apologies for the vagueness of questions in places!
nomad soul

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Without the girlfriend: Since you don't have a relevant degree, your best option would be with a contracting company in Saudi Arabia. Most of these companies post ads on the Cafe's international job board where you'll find qualifications, salaries, etc. Similarly, head to the Saudi forum for info on working for these companies. A couple of the companies that supply teachers in Oman may be interested in you; it depends on how flexible they'd be with requirements. However, Oman is at the bottom of the GCC for salaries.

With the girlfriend: Try Egypt, although the country is unstable. Possibly Morocco, but the earnings are so-so.

Anyway, even if you had the qualifications (relevant MA + 3 years' university-level teaching experience), you'll find none of the Gulf countries would be "happy" to see you with your girlfriend, especially ultra-conservative Saudi Arabia.
rtm

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 5:24 pm    Post subject: Re: General Middle East advice Reply with quote

slquoue wrote:
3. Would these countries be happy for me to bring my (unmarried) girlfriend with me given cultural considerations?

Are you anticipating that your girlfriend will secure her own employment and have her own work visa and residence permit, independent from yours, or are you hoping for her to get a visa and residence based on being your girlfriend?

If the former, information about her qualifications would be relevant as well. Also, in many countries, you would need to keep your relationship somewhat secret, and risk penalties if you were found out.

If the latter, I think you'll find it difficult to make that work in almost any country in the world. I've never heard of a "girlfriend visa".
scot47

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Girlfriends, concubines and mistresses are not eligible for visas. The fact that you have not twigged that simple fact indicates you have not read very widely on the Middle East !
MuscatGary

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can't 'bring' your g/f in on your visa. She could come in to some of the ME countries on a tourist visa and do visa runs every couple of months but if you're caught living together then out you go. BOTH of you.... and that is the best scenario.
Rostom

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indeed.
SirAristede

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With the plethora of general information in cyberspace regarding customs and practices in the Middle East, there is simply no reason not to know certain things about the ME. The ME is different from America is different from Asia is different from Latin America. In the past, many people had no access to the amount of information we have today.... Rolling Eyes
psychedelicacy

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 5:50 am    Post subject: Re: General Middle East advice Reply with quote

slquoue wrote:
1. The main aim of the year would be to save money. Could you name a top three list of Middle Eastern countries in which to do this?

Saudi Arabia is your only option, frankly, but you won't be able to take your girlfriend.

Quote:
2. With my stated experience, what kind of jobs can I realistically expect?

Saudi PYPs (preparatory year programs via a recruiter). You could try the British Council, but you'll have to go through the rigmarole of applying via their jobs site. BA/CELTA + 2 years experience (which I think has to be post-CELTA) are their minimum requirements, but if you want a job that's easy money and just requires a pulse, a PYP in Saudi Arabia is the place.

Quote:
What kind of salary can I realistically expect, and how much can I expect to save?

circa 12,000 riyals per month.
slquoue

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for your help and apologies for my ignorance on the girlfriend issue. If we go down this route then looks like we'll be tying the knot!
MuscatGary

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

slquoue wrote:
Thank you for your help and apologies for my ignorance on the girlfriend issue. If we go down this route then looks like we'll be tying the knot!

If you do then make sure you bring the original marriage certificate with you as you'll need it for the visa etc...
The Fifth Column

Location: His habitude with lexical items protrudes not unlike a damaged pollex!!!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MuscatGary wrote:
slquoue wrote:

If you do then make sure you bring the original marriage certificate with you as you'll need it for the visa etc...

And, be sure to wipe that smile off your face! Wink
returnee2014

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're going to get married, go somewhere nice. Hit Saudi after the divorce.
caliph

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hit Saudi for the divorce.

Shariah divorce is the simplest in the world, regardless of your religion.

If you're a man, just bring three pebbles.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Middle East Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: