Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Not sure what to do with my life!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
santi84

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 11:35 pm    Post subject: Not sure what to do with my life! Reply with quote

To make a long story short, I got a BA in TESL (adult education) in 2008. Got pregnant in the last semester Shocked Moved to rural Quebec, lived happily ever blah blah blah another child, house with a picket fence Laughing But my oldest now has a very obvious disability (autism) and life for him here is just not going to work out. We've decided to move back out west, Edmonton.

There is NO work in Edmonton. The UofA doesn't even offer TESL as a major for BEd, it's a side-gig to attach to your major teachable Rolling Eyes I can't afford to teach occasional language school nights there, I won't be able to afford the childcare just to pay the scrap salary.

I'm wondering if I should just ditch this career altogether (which is a shame) or can you offer ideas? I do have the prerequisites for MA in Speech Pathology but two years full-time? Can't do it!
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 12:46 am    Post subject: Re: Not sure what to do with my life! Reply with quote

I"m sorry to hear about your child. I have no idea what you're going through, however, my close friends here (both British), their older daughter has CP and is mentally disabled. She's 4.5 and still can't walk or talk. They also teach English and I know how worried they are.

A couple of options
* Teach online, I hear Open English is good.
* Work at a school, elementary ed, STEM, SPED, etc. Have you thought about getting licensed in SPED? It's a high needs area in many places.
* Get into the management side of TEFL.
* Teacher training, such as what SIT does. YOu might be able to work for a school near you that does the SIT course.
* Exam prep
* Examiner, such as IELTS or Cambridge
* Find a niche in something totally different. I've met people who make soap, do photography, cooking classes, catering, etc.
suphanburi

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 2:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have teacher certification?

While it is difficult to get a position with the EPSB there are job opportunities in the surrounding areas (Leduc, Scona, etc).

With teacher certification from PQ and ESL as a teachable you may find niche work with the EPSB teaching ESL to migrant families (along the lines of a SPED program).

There is also work to be found with groups like Catholic Social Services, etc. working with migrant groups.

Grant MacEwan (now known as MacEwan University) may have openings in ESL for adults (continuing education) as well.

santi84

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, fabulous responses, thank you!

Speaking of Catholic Social Services, I saw some great postings. Working with immigrants (teaching or non-teaching) is a great prospect, especially as that has been my background, even before my TESL degree.

Unfortunately, I do not have provincial certification, but UofA has an after-degree program. I'm going to call them today and see if they can evaluate my transcripts. I doubt there is much work for English but I am now bilingual and can teach French immersion, and I'm sure there is work for that!

I really appreciate your responses. Life throws curve balls for sure!
Janiny

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about online ESL teaching? It would be something to do. Give you the satisfaction of teaching, if it's something you really enjoy, make a little bit of money (better than nothing) and you could be around your child.
inotu-unotme

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On line teaching would allow you to control you schedule and teach in a controlled environment.

Have you thought about being a teacher assistant if not a full time teacher?
Many times the teacher assistant does not make bad money, has less hours and less responsibility.

And in the past there was a woman I came across that was in charge of an ESL program at what the states call a Jr. College. And there were many positions within that department.
santi84

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the great ideas! I am staying away from online teaching at the moment due to cost of living (I require full-time childcare for two). It is a good option if I go abroad but not now.

With my previous admin experience, I'm shooting for something in international education. I've responded to a few jobs, let's see what happens. At least my timing is great for the summer hires.
santi84

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, six months later, I'm starting as a K-4 teaching assistant! I'm excited about less prep time and hours. Strangely enough, it's a FSL class (French), not ESL. It's all pretty much the same thing, right?

I did pick up a substitute ESL instructor opportunity as well, but as you can imagine, the hours are very few in number. Still, I like it.
esl_prof

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for sharing the outcome of your story! So often folks solicit advice on these forums, but very rarely do we ever get to hear how things turn out. I'm glad to hear that you had a happy ending.
santi84

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you esl_prof, your advice in the North America forum was very much appreciated.

Now I join the ranks of North American ESL teachers who are grateful for their three hour night shifts Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: