Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

MA TESOL in non-anglophone country-accepted in the ME?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Middle East Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bronwyne

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 10:32 am    Post subject: MA TESOL in non-anglophone country-accepted in the ME? Reply with quote

Hello all,
I've been teaching in Korea for the past 5 years (3 at a uni), and would like to do my MA TESOL and then come to the ME, preferably Oman, Qatar, Kuwait or UAE. I'm a US citizen, but am looking for programs in Europe- in particular, Spain. However, I'm worried about the international recognition/reputation of doing an MA in Spain. Will ME employers accept this? I would NOT do distance; just a regular in-person program. Have any of you, teachers in the ME, met anyone (or is someone) who has gone to a non-anglophone uni in Europe that has a decent job in one of the above-mentioned countries? Decent job meaning at least $3000/mo pay, not working more than 20 hrs a week. Any insights are much appreciated!
Thank you,
Bronwyn
MuscatGary

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lots of people in Oman have non-Anglophone Masters. The pay is about 3000 USD BUT you need 4 years post-Masters experience before it's recognized.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bronwyne wrote:
Will ME employers accept this? I would NOT do distance; just a regular in-person program. Have any of you, teachers in the ME, met anyone (or is someone) who has gone to a non-anglophone uni in Europe that has a decent job in one of the above-mentioned countries?

As mentioned, lots of teachers have TEFL-related degrees from non-Anglophone countries. However, those degree holders also tend to be citizens of non-English speaking countries, so obviously, their education would be completed on their home soil.

During my time in the region, I personally have only known Americans---native speakers---with MAs from the US, UK, Oz, Canada, etc., or from the American U. in Cairo or AU of Beirut. It simply might be that there either haven't been any qualified American applicants with degrees from non-Anglophone unis (i.e., that it's rare), or there were, but employers chose not to hire them for whatever reasons. For example, some MA TESOL programs outside of Anglophone countries focus on the needs of English language learners of that country and not on a wider, more diverse learner population, which is preferable. Anyway, to bump up your chances of getting hired, I suggest some of your post-MA teaching experience come from an IEP at a US university.

Last edited by nomad soul on Wed Jun 18, 2014 10:28 am; edited 1 time in total
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MuscatGary wrote:
Lots of people in Oman have non-Anglophone Masters. The pay is about 3000 USD BUT you need 4 years post-Masters experience before it's recognized.

Is the 4 year requirement only for non-Anglphone MAs? My degree was from AUC and SQU at that time required one year post MA and another public college required 2 years.

SQU has a list of requirements on its website, but different places likely have different requirements:

http://www.squ.edu.om/tabid/9533/language/en-US/Default.aspx

It seems that SQU has moved up to the MA + 2 year requirement though it has a lower "instructor" level, which I suspect is mostly for Omani nationals.

VS
MuscatGary

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

veiledsentiments wrote:
MuscatGary wrote:

Is the 4 year requirement only for non-Anglphone MAs? My degree was from AUC and SQU at that time required one year post MA and another public college required 2 years.VS

I don't know about SQU's rules but the +4 rule is applied to everybody in the MOHE CAS system.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is that for all MAs or just non-anglophone MAs?

That would seem odd for all as they are not requiring 4 years of experience for non-MA holders. (or are they now? they do seem to change regularly... and enforce irregularly)

VS
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My first masters is from Spain. It was also done by distance. I actually did a second masters from Australia because I thought it might be harder as an American to get a job with a masters from a non English speaking country. I'm also in Korea now. I thought about the ME for a long time (still do!) but the fact that both my degrees were done online would make it harder.

If you're looking to do your masters in Europe go to an English speaking country. I can tell you that there's lots of red tape in Spain. Just to get my diploma took over a year and there was a mistake on it so I had to wait another six months. Getting transcripts is a nightmare. My whole program was in English but you'll have to speak Spanish to deal with admin. If anyone calls your uni to verify any info they're likely to be passed around until they're hung up on.

My two cents.
caliph

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks N-girl, good pertinent info that many will find helpful.
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 2:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

caliph wrote:
Thanks N-girl, good pertinent info that many will find helpful.

Honestly, I've thought about taking it off my CV, but it IS in TEFL, whereas my other MA isn't. LIke I said, getting any info from the Spanish uni is a major pain.
Gulezar

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 4:04 am    Post subject: Spanish? Reply with quote

naturegirl321 wrote:
My first masters is from Spain. It was also done by distance. I actually did a second masters from Australia because I thought it might be harder as an American to get a job with a masters from a non English speaking country. I'm also in Korea now. I thought about the ME for a long time (still do!) but the fact that both my degrees were done online would make it harder.

I understand that you had a lot of problems getting the Spanish MA recognized, but you might be surprised what you can now get in the US. In some smaller schools, you might be able to get a split ESL/Spanish teaching position. With Far East experience, the West Coast might be good. Then again, if you don't have any K-12 certification, it might be more difficult to get into a public school.

What about teaching Spanish in Dubai at a private school? I'm speaking American English here: private = parents pay, public = government funded.
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 5:28 am    Post subject: Re: Spanish? Reply with quote

Gulezar wrote:
I understand that you had a lot of problems getting the Spanish MA recognized, but you might be surprised what you can now get in the US. In some smaller schools, you might be able to get a split ESL/Spanish teaching position. With Far East experience, the West Coast might be good. Then again, if you don't have any K-12 certification, it might be more difficult to get into a public school.

What about teaching Spanish in Dubai at a private school? I'm speaking American English here: private = parents pay, public = government funded.

If I didn't have a child I'd be more willing to move. That's the main reason I stay where I am. It's far, far from perfect, but I"ll be here for the time being. I might look into teaching at an international school in the future, but for now I'd rather spend time with my daughter. I've taught at international and bilingual schools, it's not for me.
MuscatGary

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

veiledsentiments wrote:
Is that for all MAs or just non-anglophone MAs?

That would seem odd for all as they are not requiring 4 years of experience for non-MA holders. (or are they now? they do seem to change regularly... and enforce irregularly)VS

It's for all MA's (and MSc's) but doesn't seem to apply to people who only have a Bachelors degree. They are enforcing it rigidly, along with a whole host of new or previously ignored regulations. Without the +4 a Masters holder only gets the same grade as a Bachelors holder. I'm only speaking about the MOHE, don't know about the MoM.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

naturegirl321 wrote:
My first masters is from Spain. It was also done by distance. I actually did a second masters from Australia because I thought it might be harder as an American to get a job with a masters from a non English speaking country.

What made you think your degree from Spain would hinder your efforts in getting a job?
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nomad soul wrote:
naturegirl321 wrote:
My first masters is from Spain. It was also done by distance. I actually did a second masters from Australia because I thought it might be harder as an American to get a job with a masters from a non English speaking country.

What made you think your degree from Spain would hinder your efforts in getting a job?

Because it seems like most places and employers have made it more difficult to get jobs. I feel that were I Spanish it would be different. I'm not though.
Bronwyne

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello everyone,

Thanks so much for all your answers, they are very helpful! Best of luck to you all Smile

-Bronwyn
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Middle East Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: