Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Teacher Mentoring Programme - 6 days/week, 48 hours/week

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Malaysia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
simon44

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 12:21 pm    Post subject: Teacher Mentoring Programme - 6 days/week, 48 hours/week Reply with quote

I have been offered an employment contract by one of the agencies (Brighton) for the teacher mentoring programme.

The employment contract states that I must work 6 days each week, 48 hours per week, with possible additional work hours.

Bearing in mind that one has to travel to 5 different schools in the region of responsibility, the total number of daily work + commute hours seems rather excessive for the package on offer ($3,000 gross before tax, which is 25% initially, then dropping to 15% with reimbursement for the initial overtax).

That rate of pay is about $15ph.

Although the job sounds very interesting, it seems to me that this job asks a lot and gives little in return.

Or is it just me being a greedy b'stard??

What do others think? (I have about 10 years of teaching/training experience to date).
Neutrino Girl

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, that DOES seem excessive. 6 days a week is one too many to begin with, but 48 hours a week? I assume that is counting commute / prep time, but if not, I would be thinking twice about accepting that offer (especially considering the fact that you are an experienced teacher and trainer). $15 an hour is less than what newbies make working in cram schools in much of the region!
Chiselpoint

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's just on paper. In reality....well, in reality it's really up to you. Want to work an hour a day? Want to work seven hours a day? There were teachers who did both. I went in on a Saturday once and my co-workers laughed at me for being a kiss ass. Remember, this isn't an office job. You're largely on your own and largely self-supervised, for better or worse.
princessofquitealot

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 11:13 pm    Post subject: Malaysia Mentors Reply with quote

I think this is excessive, even though it is true that to a large degree you set your own hours. If, however, you sign a contract saying you will work 6 days a week and it becomes apparent that you are not, this could create a problem for you. If you are well qualified, you should apply to British Council (they're on Borneo) where the hours are more normal.
simon44

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

That's just on paper. In reality....well, in reality it's really up to you.

I'll refrain from commenting further on your (IMHO), unprofessional approach to employment....

I have declined the job offer.

Simon
SMR ELT

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 4:07 am    Post subject: Employment in Malaysia Reply with quote

This may seem totally unorthodox as I am the manager of the company which also has the contract to employ mentors and whilst I have no idea of the content of Brighton Education's contract, I feel absolutely sure that there is no way that they would insist that you have to work six days a week.

If you have decided to turn down the opportunity then it is indeed your great loss as for the vast majority of the mentors on this project they have enjoyed incredible hospitality, been able to develop their professional abilities and have learned so much about mentoring and training. There are very few opportunities in this world to take such a position. Hope you can find something better.
simon44

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 4:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

I feel absolutely sure that there is no way that they would insist that you have to work six days a week.

Well, why on earth state that to me, both verbally during interviews and in the written contract? Of course such a statement has affected my decision to decline this offer.

I am sure the mentoring programme is a great experience. I am lucky enough to live for 12 years just 1 hour from KL by air (Phuket Island), so I already enjoy a good lifestyle. My previous spells of employment in south-east Asia have clearly stated the numbers of days that I have to work. If my employer says I have an employment contract to work 6 days a week, then as far as I am concerned, that is what I'll work....
pooroldedgar

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They state it so they can make you in they need you to work on Saturdays. And they will. Once or twice a year there will be events on Saturdays. You are required to attend because it's in your contract. That's why.
rebelgirl82

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, exactly that's why. I haven't done any Saturdays since January but have a couple coming up before the end of the year. The workload is nowhere near 48 hours a week. When the previous poster said that is up to you, I think they meant that because you are left to your own devices as to what is the best way to help your mentees. For some people that means putting in a lot of hours and for others it means less.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Malaysia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: