Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Cost of Living - Grocery Realities
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 17, 18, 19 ... 22, 23, 24  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
dragonpiwo

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 6:21 pm    Post subject: yet more tosh Reply with quote

So now Delph's arguing with a German about the cost of things in Poland and Germany. Hilarious.

Let's correct a few of your 'terminal inexactitudes' shall we.

1-I live in a house with a garden next to a beach.
2-I wasn't poor in Poland and in fact earned as much as you do now if not more when the place was cheaper and had a great time. I still have a lot of fun there. I've lived there on and off since 96 and am well connected with all sorts of people.
3-My honeymoon cost 500 Euro a day and there were 2 other Poles in the hotel. Like us, they were on a honeymoon. We went somewhere in Europe because it's the start of the rainy season in the Maldives. The holiday ended up costing us the same though. 5* Europe is 5* methinks.
4-I fly TKL and Lufthansa 99% of the time. Wizz Air is just for the UK as it flies from Poznan.
5-Martial arts classes are cheap yes but the camps aren't. Nor are my son's medicines, laptops, smart phones etc etc.
6-Hotelarnia is frequented by the well-to-do. You haven't been there, so you wouldn't know. Go on, try it. Get in your car and go there. It's lovely. You can even try staying there in one of its lovely rooms.
7-This cheating thing is rife in Poland. Poles concentrate on sales and their commissions rather than 'helping' you out. Nowhere is this more apparent than in the banking sector. The latest fiasco was not being able to withdraw Sterling cash from my Sterling account for a pre-ordered amount. Euros were perfectly fine though. Restaurant service is and always has been diabolical. Then there are the train Nazis. It's endless.

Ignore the job ads and native speaker websites at your peril folks. Prices and salaries are what they are. Outside Warsaw, most will struggle sober or not.
sparks

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is the best club in Poland, It's the club of numerous recent world champions

It's not that expensive.

http://www.palestra.waw.pl/,c,1,Uwaga__Szczegoly_dotyczace_letniego_obozu_szkoleniowego_Muay_Thai___K_1_w_Borowicach_kolo_Karpacza_
dragonpiwo

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 7:04 pm    Post subject: joking aside Reply with quote

Poland is a sporty place for kids to grow up in. My son's swimming club has produced 3 Olympic medalists!
delphian-domine

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 8:17 pm    Post subject: Re: yet more tosh Reply with quote

dragonpiwo wrote:
So now Delph's arguing with a German about the cost of things in Poland and Germany. Hilarious.

Not much arguing to be had, given that I've posted several examples of cheaper products in Poland than in Germany.

Quote:
Let's correct a few of your 'terminal inexactitudes' shall we.

I'll try not to laugh, promise.

Quote:
1-I live in a house with a garden next to a beach.

You forgot to mention "I have to hand over my passport and I live in a part of the world which my government strongly recommends against travelling to. I also had to be evacuated from the same place for my own safety a couple of years back, and the whole country is in a state of lawlessness.

Quote:
2-I wasn't poor in Poland and in fact earned as much as you do now if not more when the place was cheaper and had a great time. I still have a lot of fun there. I've lived there on and off since 96 and am well connected with all sorts of people.

But at the end of the day, no-one wants to do business with someone with a history of drunken violence. And that's what the difference is.

[quite]3-My honeymoon cost 500 Euro a day and there were 2 other Poles in the hotel. Like us, they were on a honeymoon. We went somewhere in Europe because it's the start of the rainy season in the Maldives. The holiday ended up costing us the same though. 5* Europe is 5* methinks.[/quote]

Laughing Where were those "white beaches", then? What about those "deserted islands"? Let's face it - you went on a cheap honeymoon to a cheap European destination. 7 days in Europe for a honeymoon is pitiful by any standard Laughing

Odd that you keep telling lies, though. Is it because a holiday in June in a crap European tourist resort really doesn't fit the high life that you claim to lead?

Quote:
I fly TLK and Lufthansa 99% of the time. Wizz Air is just for the UK as it flies from Poznan.

Laughing flying for work purposes hardly counts. Wizzair is for cheapskates, there's nothing more to be said. That ghastly pink colour scheme - ugh!

Quote:
5-Martial arts classes are cheap yes but the camps aren't. Nor are my son's medicines, laptops, smart phones etc etc.

All of which (except the medicine) are a personal choice. Your son is hardly going to suffer without such things.

Quote:
6-Hotelarnia is frequented by the well-to-do. You haven't been there, so you wouldn't know. Go on, try it. Get in your car and go there. It's lovely. You can even try staying there in one of its lovely rooms.

I've actually been to a wedding there, which is why I know that it's a low-class spa resort for buraks. Anyone with any sense of class wouldn't go near a "spa" in a place not exactly known for a spa culture.

Quote:
7-This cheating thing is rife in Poland. Poles concentrate on sales and their commissions rather than 'helping' you out. Nowhere is this more apparent than in the banking sector. The latest fiasco was not being able to withdraw Sterling cash from my Sterling account for a pre-ordered amount.

Nothing new there, it's always difficult to get hold of foreign currency (apart from Euro and USD) from the banks. They just don't keep much of it on hand in general. A friend tried to get 200k EUR from the bank not so long ago, and they simply couldn't do it. Nothing to do with sales or commission and everything to do with the banking culture of not really holding much cash on hand.

Quote:
Restaurant service is and always has been diabolical.

Depends on your attitude. Acting like a burak will always guarantee crap service.

Quote:
Then there are the train Nazis. It's endless.

Speaking Polish and buying your ticket in advance tends to help.

Quote:
Ignore the job ads and native speaker websites at your peril folks. Prices and salaries are what they are. Outside Warsaw, most will struggle sober or not.

What he's trying to say is that young professionals starting their careers might not have much cash to play with, just like young professionals all over Europe.

View job advertisements and nativespeaker.com.pl as a starting point, and you won't go wrong.

Seems to me that you have nothing but non-stop disasters in Poland. Could it be related to your attitude problem?
dynow

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

delph wrote:

Quote:
ecocks wrote:
Hardly elegant but I loved it and never considered it to be miserable or cramped.

I imagine you, like most people in Europe, realised that this sort of thing is absolutely normal in Europe and not a big deal at all.

OK.

You commented about how "tiny" my apartment was in Poland and cited it as a source of my "misery". My apartment was 50 sq meters and now you're saying that ecocks's apartment, at 56 sq meters, is "absolutely normal" in Europe. Explain.

dragonbucks wrote:

Quote:

It's just his style. When he came over, he was just a 22 year old snot nosed kid who knew nothing and nothing about Poland, yet in a matter of months had the audacity to come up with a website and try and sell his "assistance" to expats about life and work in Poland. What would you expect? This is just more of the same.

Here's a guy that has never so much as set foot in the USA yet tells me what is what about the place on a routine basis.

Someone from I don't know.......Siberia get on here and tell us about the country. Delph will tell you how wrong you are within a few days.
delphian-domine

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dynow wrote:
You commented about how "tiny" my apartment was in Poland and cited it as a source of my "misery". My apartment was 50 sq meters and now you're saying that ecocks's apartment, at 56 sq meters, is "absolutely normal" in Europe. Explain.

Not much to explain. You were obviously comparing apples and oranges, hence why you were miserable. Trying to compare a reasonably sized house 2 hours away from downtown to a European city was always going to end in tears.

Quote:
It's just his style. When he came over, he was just a 22 year old snot nosed kid who knew nothing and nothing about Poland, yet in a matter of months had the audacity to come up with a website and try and sell his "assistance" to expats about life and work in Poland.

Worked well, as well. If I'd followed through with the plans - such as going into real estate, then it would almost certainly have paid off. I got 2000zl from one client for merely finding them the right apartment in Poznan and sorting out the contract without any drama. It took 2-3 days work, but they were paying not only for finding the property, but also making sure that everything was in order legally.

It was actually quite a fun business to run. A lawyer friend of mine handled the legal issues, and my favourite situation was an investigation into a family member who had seemingly stole a house and property from someone's father. As it transpired, the woman had apparently been granted the right to rent the property for no charge until she died, but she had somehow managed to put the title deeds in her name.

But - just like dynow, the glass ceiling was there. I didn't want to go into partnership with an adwokat and a real estate agent, I didn't want to work 40 hours (and more) behind a desk - and the right job with the right salary and conditions turned up. Bye bye business.
dragonpiwo

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 9:39 pm    Post subject: hilarious Reply with quote

Who are you? I certainly don't know you personally nor you me. Attitude problems, drunken violence? WTF? Trying to slander me because I disagree with you tells me all I need to know about you. Castles in the sky and all that.

You know nothing about my wedding or my honeymoon just repeat endless cheapskate rants about Wizzair or the other one, which every UK expat I know who lives in Poznan uses (even the bankers), shabby hotels (which I doubt you've ever really set foot in) and cheap honeymoon destinations (which at 500 Euro a day simply aren't cheap or tacky at all). FM, you even knocked the Warsaw Intercon, which is actually one of the shabbier ones I've stayed in. By the way, my wife's work portfolio covers exclusive hotels and retreats, so it's something we actually know about and can judge professionally. You just went there with YOUR burak friends, so that's how you judge it. We rented the whole place, had it decked out as we wanted it and I can assure you (not that I need to) that is was superb. We ended up in the Aegean at the KBR but spent little time there as we rented boats and spent days on tiny islands like Arkos. Our base was on Skiathos and the 4x4 got us to lots of beaches (there are 65 on the island), where there was no-one. Perfect. Go there before you Google it and comment.

Who wants to do business with me? I'll tell you; UAM did, the British Council did, Qatar Petroleum did as did Eni Gas, Shell, Petrokemya and KNPC and the current very large oil company I work for and am long established in. I don't recall getting fired from any of 'em. Remind me which poxy school you work for. Please do. Feel free to slander me some more like the troll you are. If I work in Poznan again, I'll have no bother setting myself up of that I'm sure.

Poland is a good place for beginners but those who stay often have no real options. Carry on talking big because it's a very small pond you are in. The dry season is approaching and as time passes, you'll be floundering in the mud gasping for air.

For the sane people out there-just Google the statistics, which are all readily available re the cost of living and browse the job ads and work offered sites to get a handle on how life is there and how your standard of living is likely to look like. While you're at it get onto oferty.net or mamdom or some other real estate site, have a look at the flat rentals and the house offers and then have a look at the pics. In fact, put in Delph's 350,000 for a house and see what you'd get. Then ask yourself if you could live in a place like that. Live miles out of town then where are you going to get your privates and how much will you spend on petrol and parking? Is there going to be a good school round there? How's your kid going to socialize stuck in the sticks?

Groceries, beer, fags, public transport and fast food sure are cheap. Nothing else is at all. Restaurants, clothes, medicines, holidays, like for like hotels, cars and electricals, kids toys and clothes are all UK prices and in some cases more. Real estate adjusted to incomes is about the same. However, the build quality and 'remont' worked needed are things to be considered. New build is often poor quality and the old kamienices often need gutting when it comes to plumbing and electrical work, so double the price.

The vast majority who work in Poland actually leave within a couple of years, which tells its own story. No doubt they are all drunkards with no qualifications who were simply too daft to make it work! I think they got a bit of experience, grew out of a student beer/Starbucks lifestyle and moved onwards and in most cases upwards to better things.

Cue personal slander and rant about Greece, hotels and lies.
delphian-domine

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 10:16 pm    Post subject: Re: hilarious Reply with quote

dragonpiwo wrote:
Who are you? I certainly don't know you personally nor you me. Attitude problems, drunken violence? WTF? Trying to slander me because I disagree with you tells me all I need to know about you. Castles in the sky and all that.

No slander from me, you wrote about it yourself on here.

[quite]You know nothing about my wedding or my honeymoon just repeat endless cheapskate rants about Wizzair or the other one, which every UK expat I know who lives in Poznan uses (even the bankers)[/quote]

I prefer to fly to the UK on BA, it's far more civilised and there are far more possibilities to connect in Heathrow. Tegel is a far nicer airport too, and you can drive to Tegel in 2h30. Avoiding the horror that is Stansted or Luton is worth it, too.

As for your honeymoon, you're the one that was caught lying and exaggerating repeatedly. Going to a cheap British resort in Europe really doesn't sound like luxury to me.

Quote:
shabby hotels (which I doubt you've ever really set foot in)

You're right, I wouldn't waste my money on 'spa' hotels in the suburbs of Poznan. I prefer German spa resorts, as they don't attract buraks.

Quote:
and cheap honeymoon destinations (which at 500 Euro a day simply aren't cheap or tacky at all).

500 Euro a day? Is that like your famous 500zl meal in Fenix?

Quote:
FM, you even knocked the Warsaw Intercon, which is actually one of the shabbier ones I've stayed in.

Of course I knocked it, given that you were given a more expensive rate than on booking.com. It seems your mates don't like you very much if they can't even match the best offer online Wink

[quite]By the way, my wife's work portfolio covers exclusive hotels and retreats, so it's something we actually know about and can judge professionally.[/quote]

Oh please, do stop with the exaggerations and lies. She works in some guesthouse in the countryside (you posted it before, have you forgotten already?) that isn't even registered as a proper hotel. Really, why lie so much?

She might know something about hotel operations, but working in a small countryside hotelik is in no way comparable to exclusive hotels.

Quote:
You just went there with YOUR burak friends, so that's how you judge it.

I'm not sure where you got the idea from that I have burak friends.

Quote:
We rented the whole place, had it decked out as we wanted it and I can assure you (not that I need to) that is was superb.

Still not a patch on genuinely luxurious wedding venues, though. Calling it a spa is a joke, the spa in City Park is better than that!

Quote:
We ended up in the Aegean at the KBR but spent little time there as we rented boats and spent days on tiny islands like Arkos. Our base was on Skiathos and the 4x4 got us to lots of beaches (there are 65 on the island), where there was no-one. Perfect. Go there before you Google it and comment.

In other words, you went nowhere near Asia, despite claiming that you were actually there. As I said before, renting boats in Europe is nothing special - I've rented boats and gone to small islands/deserted beaches in Croatia before. Nothing new, or particularly special for many Poles. Any chimp can rent a small boat and go to these places.

Anyway, Greece is incredibly downmarket.

Quote:
Who wants to do business with me? I'll tell you; UAM did, the British Council did, Qatar Petroleum did as did Eni Gas, Shell, Petrokemya and KNPC and the current very large oil company I work for and am long established in. I don't recall getting fired from any of 'em.

You don't recall it because you've convinced yourself that you left on your terms. The truth seems to be rather different.

Quote:
If I work in Poznan again, I'll have no bother setting myself up of that I'm sure.

Times have moved on.

Quote:
Poland is a good place for beginners but those who stay often have no real options.

Not when they drink themselves into oblivion and turn up to work stinking of booze, no. That would be correct.
dragonpiwo

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 10:29 pm    Post subject: Re: hilarious Reply with quote

I remember it all very clearly thanks. I completed my second one-year contract left for a year as the acting boss was dreadful and we clashed frequently as she hated all the outside stuff I was doing and then got recalled when I rang for an oral reference to support the excellent one I already had and indeed have a copy of. I was then asked to do a week of unpaid testing and told them to sling it. I then moved to Qatar where I became a senior teacher at QP on $70,000pa. What a nightmare that was Smile. Have worked in the oil industry ever since but live in Poznan (recently of Gmina Swarzedz in the burbs).

Greece down market? Faliraki maybe but not where we were. The plan changed when I did the weather checks. Incidentally, the Polish biuro podrozy where telling us differently, so I rang a pal who has lived there re The Seychelles and Maldives and rainy season. Once again top Polish service not. Next you'll be telling us all of Thailand is down market or Turkey maybe. I work with people who live in both and some parts are really special. Our honeymoon hotel was superb, had one of the best views I've ever seen and a room to die for. Only me and my wife can judge that. You weren't there you demented fop. The rooftop restaurants were the most romantic I've ever seen anywhere and the seafood amazing.

My wife is the HR manager for a large German carpet manufacturer but she also oversees the boss' pet project hotel. She has 2 roles in the company. 'Her place' is absolutely lovely and rammed with antiques-proper old-style Polish. Her chefs have been headhunted from top Warsaw restaurants. That too is a really cosy, rural thatched place with a lovely menu. It matters little what you think as many big firms use it for their conferences and parties.

BA no longer fly out of Poznan as you well know and please tell me about Tegel, I was there 2 days ago and fly in and out of it not less than 12 times a year. In fact I fly more often and use hotels much more often, so feel free to wax lyrical with your superior knowledge. Spa towns like Oberammergau and Karlovy Vary I did when you were at school. We had a wedding dinner and didn't even go down to that floor. Our pal at the Warsaw intercon got us one of the top rooms in the place, so do your booking.com search on a comparable room please.

DON'T LET FACTS STAND IN YOUR WAY.

All this is tripe though. The OP is about groceries. They are cheap. Not much else is and the wages are dire in most cases. That's why people leave. Most blokes stay because of women. Generally, they are women who are way above their league. Many teachers lack options because all they've done is teach General English for years on end and TEFL teachers are ten a penny these days, especially in Poland. You'll leave Delph but you may find people need skills not useless bits of paper, slogans and jargon.
dynow

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

delph wrote:

Quote:

Not much to explain. You were obviously comparing apples and oranges, hence why you were miserable. Trying to compare a reasonably sized house 2 hours away from downtown to a European city was always going to end in tears.

I'll accept dodging the question. You painted yourself into a corner and responded with a non-answer.

delph wrote:

Quote:
Worked well, as well. If I'd followed through with the plans - such as going into real estate, then it would almost certainly have paid off. I got 2000zl from one client for merely finding them the right apartment in Poznan and sorting out the contract without any drama. It took 2-3 days work, but they were paying not only for finding the property, but also making sure that everything was in order legally.

It was actually quite a fun business to run. A lawyer friend of mine handled the legal issues, and my favourite situation was an investigation into a family member who had seemingly stole a house and property from someone's father. As it transpired, the woman had apparently been granted the right to rent the property for no charge until she died, but she had somehow managed to put the title deeds in her name.

But - just like dynow, the glass ceiling was there. I didn't want to go into partnership with an adwokat and a real estate agent, I didn't want to work 40 hours (and more) behind a desk - and the right job with the right salary and conditions turned up. Bye bye business.

wow! great story! thanks!
delphian-domine

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 12:24 am    Post subject: Re: hilarious Reply with quote

dragonpiwo wrote:
I remember it all very clearly thanks. I completed my second one-year contract left for a year as the acting boss was dreadful and we clashed frequently as she hated all the outside stuff I was doing

Finally, some attempt at the truth, but still not quite the real story, eh?

Quote:
and then got recalled when I rang for an oral reference to support the excellent one I already had and indeed have a copy of.

Not quite the story I heard, but anyway. It seems that your version of events is rather different to how others remember it.

Quote:
I was then asked to do a week of unpaid testing and told them to sling it. I then moved to Qatar where I became a senior teacher at QP on $70,000pa. What a nightmare that was Smile

And yet you did a runner and they were glad to see the back of you. Seems that it really was a nightmare Wink

Quote:
Have worked in the oil industry ever since but live in Poznan (recently of Gmina Swarzedz in the burbs).

How could you forget about how Profi Lingua asked you to leave?

Quote:
Greece down market? Faliraki maybe but not where we were. The plan changed when I did the weather checks. Incidentally, the Polish biuro podrozy where telling us differently, so I rang a pal who has lived there re The Seychelles and Maldives and rainy season. Once again top Polish service not. Next you'll be telling us all of Thailand is down market or Turkey maybe. I work with people who live in both and some parts are really special.

I couldn't care less about those places, but Greece these days really is rather downmarket. It's almost like the Egypt of the Med these days.

Quote:
Our honeymoon hotel was superb, had one of the best views I've ever seen and a room to die for.

Doesn't seem particularly impressive, really, especially when it was only a 7 day package holiday.

Quote:
Only me and my wife can judge that. You weren't there you demented fop. The rooftop restaurants were the most romantic I've ever seen anywhere and the seafood amazing.

If it's the place I think it is (judging by the island you mentioned), then you must really have low standards. Reminds me of Neum in BiH.

Quote:
My wife is the HR manager for a large German carpet manufacturer but she also oversees the boss' pet project hotel. She has 2 roles in the company.

Making up stories again, are we? It's okay, we don't mind...

Quote:
'Her place' is absolutely lovely and rammed with antiques-proper old-style Polish. Her chefs have been headhunted from top Warsaw restaurants. That too is a really cosy, rural thatched place with a lovely menu. It matters little what you think as many big firms use it for their conferences and parties.

Now you're really exaggerating! Laughing

It's a small country hotelik offering cheap weekend breaks for those who don't like to leave Poland. Nothing more, nothing less. Chefs headhunted from Warsaw to work in a tiny village nowhere near civilisation? Laughing

Quote:
BA no longer fly out of Poznan as you well know and please tell me about Tegel, I was there 2 days ago and fly in and out of it not less than 12 times a year. In fact I fly more often and use hotels much more often, so feel free to wax lyrical with your superior knowledge.

Doesn't sound like much of a life to be fair - 6 weeks in the sandpit, a vast amount of time spent in airports and airport hotels... looks like someone really did draw the short straw Smile

Quote:
Spa towns like Oberammergau and Karlovy Vary I did when you were at school. We had a wedding dinner and didn't even go down to that floor. Our pal at the Warsaw intercon got us one of the top rooms in the place, so do your booking.com search on a comparable room please.

Given your tendency to tell incessant lies, I imagine this "top room" was actually the cheapest one in the building.

Quote:
DON'T LET FACTS STAND IN YOUR WAY.

The only fact is that you appear to lead an unbelievably cheap life while trying to pretend that it isn't. Meanwhile, the rest of us are flying BA, Lufthansa and other flag carriers.

Quote:
All this is tripe though. The OP is about groceries. They are cheap. Not much else is and the wages are dire in most cases.

The wages in entry level jobs aren't great, that's true. But they usually aren't in Europe, so I'm not sure what your point is. Better jobs simply aren't advertised, and the best paying schools just don't need to advertise for teachers because teachers are queuing up to work for them.

What you never seem to mention is that the jobs you mention are all entry-level positions. I wonder why? Does it fail to suit your agenda?

Quote:
That's why people leave. Most blokes stay because of women. Generally, they are women who are way above their league. Many teachers lack options because all they've done is teach General English for years on end and TEFL teachers are ten a penny these days, especially in Poland.

For once, you're writing something vaguely credible. Anyone teaching "general English" for years deserves to rot.

Quote:
You'll leave Delph but you may find people need skills not useless bits of paper, slogans and jargon.

Which is why I have both Wink

One thing is for certain : I'll never leave my wife to work in a rotten dangerous sandpit.
dragonpiwo

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 9:34 am    Post subject: aaah Reply with quote

Now it all makes sense. You are confusing me with James B. he was asked to leave Profi for smelling of alcohol while teaching.
dragonpiwo

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 10:55 am    Post subject: erm Reply with quote

OK let's ask this question. How many teachers do you know in Poznan who clear 6000Zl net a month every month of the year?

Meanwhile for those interested in facts, rather than Delph's opinions I think people should try the following.

1. Property and rentals www.oferty.net
2. Work offered and going rates www.nativespeaker.com.pl
3. Cost of living http://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living/country_result.jsp?country=Poland
4. Wages (contrast/compare with prices in 3 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_European_countries_by_average_wage

Now do the maths, forget what myself or Delph say and come to your own conclusions.

To me it reads; low salaries but relatively expensive country and lots of competition. A perfect storm.

For the record, please discard all the baseless, personal snipes he makes because EVERYTHING he has said about me is simply wrong. I rarely drink, my missus has a great job, I've never been asked to leave, Qatar Petroleum were certainly not glad to see the back of me (I left after 3 years) and Profi bent over backwards to keep me when I moved on to bigger and better things having been headhunted. This guy doesn't know me, has never met me (he may well and good luck to him then) and no-one I actually worked with is in Poznan now, nor have they been for years. He has come across a few of the people I socialize with in the expat community in Poznan, no more and no less.For the record, they think he's a to55er.
iknowwhatiamtalkingabout

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The simple advice I'd give to anybody (new to teaching) looking in who is considering TEFLing in Poland would be to do it. It's great. You'll have a good time, you'll gain experience, you'll live in an interesting country. You might even become quite good at their language. You'll also meet some total nut jobs in the staffrooms you work in and will save up an impressive list of funny stories to amuse friends with later.

After a few years get out and go somewhere better. You'll miss Poland for a bit and you'll start to forget the language. But you'll have the chance to have about 50 paid days off a year, go on expensive holidays without blinking, get pension contributions, live in nice flats in some of the world's most interesting cities, free health insurance etc. You know, a job. I work for the BC and it's great. But it can be done with other organisations too.

I maybe did a year or 2 too many in Poland. Three or four years would have done me. Since I left I've wondered what took me so long. I liked Poland, it was good. But it's short term. I really question the wisdom of anybody trying really hard to make a life there in our industry. It's just not worth it. It's better and easier elsewhere.
dragonpiwo

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 11:54 am    Post subject: iknowhatimtalkingabout Reply with quote

I'd totally agree with that sentiment. I'd only add that, if you are hellbent on living in the place (as I am due to family reasons), then there are other options. You could go to BAe for a few years or get an oilfield rotation. I'm doing the latter. Poland is so much better if you have a lot of money because then you really can sample the best of it and indeed anywhere else. All this piffle about hotels and Greece is just salad dressing and down to personal taste and opinions based on experience rather than Google searches. The personal attacks are water off a duck's back. This Delph is a tool. Kropka.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Poland All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 17, 18, 19 ... 22, 23, 24  Next
Page 18 of 24

Jump to: