Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

International Houses in Poland
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
dragonpiwo

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 6:14 am    Post subject: ha Reply with quote

Yes Bilko, that's exactly how it was when I worked for IH too and I agree with everything you said. Like you I have actually worked for IH unlike the 'gob of Poznan'.

I can also see how Ecocks made it work-congrats.

Yet another broadside from the this nut I've never met. I OWN a flat, rarely drink and am happy with my life choice, so why you pursue this slanderous red herring ad nauseam god only knows Delph. I've told you before, the only person I know who was asked to leave by Profi was James B in 2005. It certainly wasn't me, so you've got a crossed wire somewhere. When I chose to leave Poland the first time, it was because I'd just had enough of the place workwise. Endless hustle, uncertainty and cancellations. No good when you have a kid. I was actually earning far more in my second career of publishing and voiceover work for TV and radio. The uni was just the basic. And because I'm teaching IELTS and PET now, you have jumped to yet another wrong conclusion. I've actually set up 3 training operations from scratch and have managed successful training programmes. No big deal, easily done if you know what you are doing. Right now it's all gravy and there's plenty of cash in the bank. My wife and I may well move back to the Gulf in the near future. I get umpteen good job offers a year. They find me, not me them. She'll quadruple her salary there at least! We haven't gone yet because it's all to do with 'married status', Islamic law and the huge benefits for married couples. again, you don't know anything about such stuff. I do because I had such a contract at Qatar Petroleum, where I had a successful 3-year stint but left as I had a rotation lined up with Veba Oil and the relationship was going down the pan. Simple choice; stay in Qatar and see my son once a year or get a rotation and see him 6 times a year for long stints. I followed the procedures to leave, like normal people do.

Then there's the small issue of 40 hours because 40 teaching hours plus travel and prep isn't 40 hours is it? We all know it. You've mentioned VW Poznan, which I drive past every day. Lovely bit of traffic round there, I live a mile away, so your 2 hours teaching becomes at least 3 and then where's your hourly rate?

Assuming you don't shoot blanks because your baseless broadsides don't work and no-one's having it, you'll have a kid and then the missus and family duties may well scupper all this work you do. Heck your wife may even decide not to work for a while/permanently. What women say and do pre and post pregnancy can often change but you wouldn't know that. God forbid you have 2 in quick succession as then you really are in a financial quandary.

What's YOUR issue with drinking? There's usually a story there. I wish my wife would let me drink a little more Smile. Unusually for a Polish ,no-one got caned at mine and it was a better event for it.
dynow

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

delph wrote:

Quote:
I have friends working in corporate jobs who put in 60+ hours routinely without complaint, or friends working in medicine and law where 60-70 hour weeks are absolutely normal.

too funny. basically....you're making stuff up.

who works a corporate job 60+ hrs a week....."without complaint"? Tell me they are whistling dixie every day they get up at 05:30, commute in for 07:00, leave at 19:00 (or later), 5 days a week....and they just can't get enough. oh, and me thinks their work arrangements and lifestyle, along with salary, far trump the avg. TEFL'er. Let us not forget that the average corporate guy can come in and F@#$ off for an afternoon as long as the work gets done that morning. An ESL teacher doesn't have the same advantage. 40 lessons is 40 lessons. 60 hrs in the corporate world can realistically consist of maybe 20-30 hrs of actual work, the rest is water cooler talk, useless meetings, internet surfing, long lunches, coffee breaks that turn into coffee hours....anyone who has done the corporate gig knows what I'm saying. I did it for years, people waste time.

Comparing 60 hrs as a doctor/lawyer and 60 hours in TEFL.....you gotta just stop man. You're going to hurt yourself.

delph wrote:

Quote:
Quite normal for many people, and not really a big deal. The whole point is to maximise one's earnings and experience when you've got the energy and health to do it, so that when you're 40something....

You're a 20 something, single, healthy and got the energy. Why haven't you upped your earnings by increasing work hours? Considering how often you post on this forum at all hours of the day, you've surely got the spare time....what are you waiting for, man? Get yourself a steady 2-3 hour block, 5 days a week, earn an extra XXXX zloty a month and all that. Do you work Saturdays? You're slippin', Delph. You're slippin'.
ecocks

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmmm, I don't know about everyone else here but I know a dozen or more folks who work 50+ hours a week, a couple who work more than 60. I've done 80+ for months at a time twice in my life.

Some of you are so hung up on yourselves and your beliefs you are way out of touch with reality. Just because you lack ambition or drive and want to lay around more doesn't mean everyone else agrees with your judgments.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
iknowwhatiamtalkingabout

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ecocks wrote:
Hmmmm, I don't know about everyone else here but I know a dozen or more folks who work 50+ hours a week, a couple who work more than 60. I've done 80+ for months at a time twice in my life.

Some of you are so hung up on yourselves and your beliefs you are way out of touch with reality. Just because you lack ambition or drive and want to lay around more doesn't mean everyone else agrees with your judgments.

I take my job seriously and I do it well. I work hard and get involved in as much development as is reasonable.

However, presenting working 80 plus hours a week as vitruous is simply absurd. It's not virtuous, it doesn't show ambition or drive, it's stupid.

Life is for living. If Anybody ever catches me spending that amount of time on any job, they have my permission to smother me in my sleep/shoot me.
ecocks

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iknowwhatiamtalkingabout wrote:
ecocks wrote:

I take my job seriously and I do it well. I work hard and get involved in as much development as is reasonable.

However, presenting working 80 plus hours a week as vitruous is simply absurd. It's not virtuous, it doesn't show ambition or drive, it's stupid.

Life is for living. If Anybody ever catches me spending that amount of time on any job, they have my permission to smother me in my sleep/shoot me.

LOL!

Where do you see a presentation of virtue in working long hours. It's simply not as uncommon as some previous posters would have you believe.

Methinks someone has had a nerve struck.....

ecocks wrote:

Thanks for proving my point.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
iknowwhatiamtalkingabout

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've taken a moment to cringe at an adult using the terms 'LOL' and 'methinks' and now I'm ready to carry on with my evening.

I'm not really sure what you're getting at. Should I be upset that I've carved out a decent career by choosing jobs wisely enough and managing my time wisely enough to not work ridiculous hours?

I like having a life. Some people really need to get over work. It's just work.
dragonpiwo

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 5:24 pm    Post subject: yep Reply with quote

Yep you do know what you're talking about. Agreed. The work/life balance is key. Where I am I have a lot of time to pursue hobbies I don't have time for or can't do back home and to suggest it's miserable here is obtuse as miserable is a state of mind. Dangerous yes but miserable no. I won't be here much longer either.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Poland All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: