Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Firing season @ HCT

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Arab Emirates
View previous topic :: View next topic  
2buckets

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 2:09 am    Post subject: Firing season @ HCT Reply with quote

It's that time of the year again when traditionally HCT does it's mass firing, (sacking).

So, those on the ground, what's the latest that's happening. Maybe there are no more skilled people left to be fired and there are only sycophants left.

Inquiring minds want to know.
Pikgitina

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lots of people are leaving, but because they are jumping ship - it is sinking very fast.
Haloolah

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agree with Pigitina - plenty leaving.....lots of contracts "not renewed"....
robinbanks

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If people are being 'asked to leave'and they are 'still advertising positions,so what's going on?are they going to have a full compliment in August?
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They literally never have a full compliment of teachers when the first semester starts... they never have and I would assume that they never will - just because of the way the system 'works.' The Ministry always low-balls the number of students... the budget limits the hiring... and then the Ministry sends each college a few extra groups in September.

I would bet that the majority of the "not-renewed" were long timers at the top of the pay scale with too much gratuity building. They will then be replaced with as many new-ish MAs that they can find. They prefer MAs and thus look good having them, but on the lower end of their pay scale. Any new hires should assume that there will be a limit on the number of contracts that will be renewed. I think the times of people teaching in the system for 10-20+ years are gone.

VS
peripatetic_soul

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 2:45 pm    Post subject: Firing season @HCT Reply with quote

The HCT website reveals vacancies for Support Services (47), Professional Staff (50), Faculty (40) and Managerial/Leadership (37), many of which are flagged for local hire only with this proviso:
"Requirements - In support of Emiratization, HCT may exercise flexibility with the experience or education requirement in order to recruit UAE National candidates who show potential for success in the role."

For Professional Staff, all but 4 and only 3 of 47 of Support Services are open to all nationalities (e.g., such as librarian or Learning Centre). As for Managerial/Leadership, most are slated for locals and the few for all require a Ph.D. Faculty is a mixed bag but with the above proviso.
As for inside scoop, former colleagues there tell me several who have been dismissed or contracts not renewed (includes those over age 60) will be replaced by locals.

PS
The Fifth Column

Location: His habitude with lexical items protrudes not unlike a damaged pollex!!!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The "system" is in a perpetual race to the bottom...they don't seem to have hit it yet, but the time for pulling out of the dive has passed...

...all that will be left is a smoking hole in the desert... check that, a BIGGER smoking hole in the desert! Twisted Evil
caliph

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The informal policy for renewals is: after you finish your third 3 year contract, you're finished.

There are some exceptions, but not many.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

caliph wrote:
There are some exceptions, but not many.

Mostly management?

VS
caliph

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know a few teachers, not sure about management. I know of some management who lost their positions and were offered teacher positions.
The Fifth Column

Location: His habitude with lexical items protrudes not unlike a damaged pollex!!!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

caliph wrote:
I know a few teachers, not sure about management. I know of some management who lost their positions and were offered teacher positions.

Would there be a "D or J" in that mix?

If so, then turnabout would definitely be fair play...

(MOD edit for names)
USAMATHMAN

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 5:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I applied 3 different times for a mathematics teaching position with HCT.

The first time I was able to receive an interview, nailed it and received an offer. Ended up getting an email saying that my application had been rejected a final person in upper management.

The other two times my application never made it past initial screening.

I was well qualified for every teaching position I applied for. Just don't see how my app could have been turned down seeing that they are in need of so many teachers.

The 3rd time being rejected was enough for me.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

USAMATHMAN wrote:
I was well qualified for every teaching position I applied for. Just don't see how my app could have been turned down seeing that they are in need of so many teachers.

The 3rd time being rejected was enough for me.

I remember that... and was as mystified as you were. Of course, one issue is that they don't hire nearly as many math teachers as TEFLers. When I was there, it was 50+ of us and 2 math teachers. But something in your CV must have triggered something that, even if wrong, gets into their system. We'll never know... and who cares at this point. Laughing

VS
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Arab Emirates All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: