Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Where to start in Vietnam?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ExpatLuke

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 5:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just because you have a BEd does not mean you are state certified. Your teaching certification is something you receive after completing your degree. In many states it involves something called student teaching for a number of months/years were you're not a full time teacher. Once all the requirements for your state's certification are complete, only then are you qualified to be a full tcher. A BEd without certification won't let you teach in the states.
pinot

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I cannot speak for the UK but to get QTS the qualification in the UK a B.Ed with QTS gives you a licence to train to teach, you then have 5 years to get the NQT out of the way and be a fully fledged licensed teacher but a B.Ed on its own does not give people QTS here in the UK. Most international schools and especially in Vietnam where there are only 8 international schools, need you to have qualified teacher status in your home country with 2 years teaching experience there.

They do occasionally recruit EFL teachers and I apologise if you cannot understand what I wrote but it means a guy from the UK with a B.Ed and a CELTA is an EFL teacher not qualified to teach in a state school in the UK. However they (the international school that recruited you) will insist that while working there you get what is called an international PGCE that will give you a UK based teaching qualification. This qualification means that you still do not have a UK state school license but you have a qualification on the international circuit that is on a par with it. It is probably very likely, as the UK launches into a teacher shortage crisis that the UK Govt will recognise this in future. I do not make the rules - the parents do with their demands, the schools in Vietnam are all for profit so they are subjected to market forces. I hope the guy does get a job at SIS and I hope he gets his UK licence as he has everything but the piece of paper and it is the ticket to big bucks and across the world.
TRH

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ExpatLuke wrote:
Just because you have a BEd does not mean you are state certified. Your teaching certification is something you receive after completing your degree. In many states it involves something called student teaching for a number of months/years were you're not a full time teacher. Once all the requirements for your state's certification are complete, only then are you qualified to be a full tcher. A BEd without certification won't let you teach in the states.
I beg to differ. First of all, a BEd by definition includes a full semester of full time student teaching. I never heard of a BEd that did not include that component. Tenure in the US is by jurisdiction which can be ridiculously fragmented and usually involves at least a full year of teaching, however tenure is not the same as qualification. A BEd is the entry level qualification for almost all of the nation's teachers particularly at the elementary school level. Some teachers may be hired to teach in High Schools with a BA but in most cases they will need additional course work to qualify for permanent employment. A BEd holder does not.
pinot

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In fact I lie - since last month you now also have to have 5 years of teaching in either a UK school or / and a similar school in another country e.g if you were working in a primary school as a Year 2 teacher you must have 5 years of working in a primary school as a teacher, notasELS. I am sorry if I am coming across as a bit up my own whatever but I can assure you I am not, my partner is an ESL and having a look at what she had to do to get her TEFL I would not know where to start on the grammar, it is just we are a different skill set and in demand in different areas. Although in my eyes we all do the same thing - educate and start a fire of passion in peoples minds.
spycatcher reincarnated

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pinot

Please note that Saigon South international School (SSIS) is a non Profit organisation and in some ways is subsidized by Phu My Hung corporation.

Their fees are still expensive however, as they are over staffed with very well paid expats.
pinot

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ah yes my mistake - I do apologise but it was built to make the real estate more attractive. Yes they do pay pretty well and from what I understand is a very nice school to work for unlike SIS
pinot

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

huh so it teh UNIS in Hanoi - Embarassed
I'm With Stupid

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pinot wrote:
No idea what I did to get my post to look like that lol. But on a point $2000 a month maybe slightly less than an NQTs wage but it is estimated your dollar is worth between 5-10 times more in Vietam, in South America the wage for a qualified teacher is about $12000 dollars plus a housing allowance - they still get bums on seats as the cost of living is so low

Yeah, but a NQT isn't actually a qualified teacher. In the UK, they have to then do a year where they teach 80% of a normal schedule for massively reduced wages, and only after passing that year are you a qualified teacher, at which point, you're earning way more than $2000 a month. In fact, the minimum you can earn as a new teacher in the UK is £21,804, which works out at $37,100 or just under $3100 a month. The proper international school jobs I've seen advertised here will generally match that, along with offering a list of benefits (healthcare, education for your kids, pension contributions, etc) that mean that you're not missing out on the benefits of living in a developed country. People might be willing to take a slight cut for the opportunity to live abroad for a bit, but things like debts don't suddenly reduce in value when you move to a new country, and you have to consider the fact that all living costs in a foreign country is money you'll never get back, whereas at home, you're often actually keeping a lot of your money in the form of a house.
I'm With Stupid

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

spycatcher reincarnated wrote:
Pinot

Please note that Saigon South international School (SSIS) is a non Profit organisation and in some ways is subsidized by Phu My Hung corporation.

Their fees are still expensive however, as they are over staffed with very well paid expats.

Hmm, Eton College is also a "non profit" organisation. As is the British Council, which is the most expensive place to study English in the city. I wonder how non-profit a lot of non-profit schools are, when they're catering almost exclusively to wealthy families, with the odd token scholarship thrown in.
pinot

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ims with the greatest respect I am not arguing against you I am telling the op what an esl teacher is usually offered at sis.
pinot

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh and I am from the UK, we have had a pay freeze for 5 years, cost of living has gone through the roof, I could no longer afford to live in my house on my teachers wage so had to rent it out. I could not sell it either as I was / am in negative equity, the 80percent figure you speak of is an urban myth. Nqt stands for newly qualified teacher btw, a normal teacher by the way is only entitled to approx 2.5hours of prep time a week. The UK is a huge mess, you leave a property empty you are charged 200 percent council tax in my county, the gas and electric companies charge a daily rate regardless of if you use any energy at all and the council can take your house if it is left empty
Okie from Muskogee

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pinot wrote:
Oh and I am from the UK, we have had a pay freeze for 5 years, cost of living has gone through the roof, I could no longer afford to live in my house on my teachers wage so had to rent it out. I could not sell it either as I was / am in negative equity, the 80percent figure you speak of is an urban myth. Nqt stands for newly qualified teacher btw, a normal teacher by the way is only entitled to approx 2.5hours of prep time a week. The UK is a huge mess, you leave a property empty you are charged 200 percent council tax in my county, the gas and electric companies charge a daily rate regardless of if you use any energy at all and the council can take your house if it is left empty

Don't feel bad. America is headed toward that way. Past decade had been the worst with new regulations on top of new regulations. It's no longer the land of free and opportunity. Even when walking down the street, you'll be breaking some sort of new city ordinance. I think vietnam is much more freer than in the u.s.
pinot

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any updates on how the job hunting is going? Hopefully good news
EmGee

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 2:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi folks, I've been in Vietnam since June 15th getting to know HCMC and doing some traveling by scooter. I'm in Nha Trang at the moment. I've received some tips on where to apply from ESL teachers that I met in d1.

I haven't applied yet because I'm not intending to work until late August or early September. I need to go back to England for 3 weeks for family reasons and to get my documents sorted. I'll be back early August to start applying in earnest. So far I'm really liking Vietnam.
pinot

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SOunds good - oh get your police check from ACRO, get a letter from your previous school showing how long you worked there. This is if you are going to get a work permit of course. Best of and keep us updated
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Vietnam All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: