Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

SQU -- Accommodation
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sydney2002

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 4:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"People from car owning countries will say a car is essential but many teachers from other countries would disagree."

This is actually a very good point. I have to agree with Sleepwalker on this. I am from a 'car-owning country' myself. And the only places I've ever worked outside my country prior to Oman are places with outstanding public transport systems.

Living in Muscat (and working at SQU) without a car is difficult, but I suppose it's doable… for some much more than others.
Whatever will be

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 4:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing

Last edited by Whatever will be on Sat May 09, 2015 4:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
omanoman

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This issue of the air tickets should be a focus for some on this board and any newcomers. The repatriation clause in the law is very clear and giving a small allowance bundled into the salary does not absolve the sponsor of that obligation.

If the amount is as low as 20 rials as quoted here earlier and 240 rials does not cover the plane ticket home (very likely in July or August of any year) then it is up to the sponsor to make up the difference.

In no way is the employee responsible for the cost of the ticket home. Please get together and compare packages at your work and if this is the case, with the shortfall being paid by you upon leaving, then please make an appeal to HR and failing that, an appointment / case with the Manpower mediation office - it is only the first step, it is meant to be non-confrontational and they are very supportive of employee rights.

I don't want to necessarily support the legal profession since they can be greedy like anyone else, but perhaps a group together can share the cost of a lawyer - a few hundred rials to present the case.

omanoman
omanoman

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having said the above, I should add.....

this is applicable to the end of service, not the annual leave. Although annual leave is in the law, a flight home is not. It is part of every ex-pats contract but the actual deal is up to the employer. The added allowance is a way for them to handle cash flow I suppose and also save money.

You don't need a lawyer for the mediation but a reliable Arabic speaker is a must since the ministry rep taking your statements won't speak English well at all.

Here are two labor law clauses that are relevant:

Article (56):
The employer shall be obliged to repatriate a non-Omani worker to his country upon termination of the work relationship with him unless the sponsorship of such worker is transferred to another employer. It the employer declines to do so, the relevant directorate shall repatriate the worker at the expense of the Government and revert to the employer for recovery of the amount paid.

Article (64):
The worker shall be entitled to the basic wage for the balance of his annual leave if he abandons the work before exhausting such leave.
Sydney2002

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to get this thread back on topic-- regarding SQU accommodation for LC teachers, again I will emphasize the importance of documenting EVERYTHING upon arrival!

I mean every tiny detail, from grout between tiles to a tiny bit of rust on a cabinet hinge. These things are not our housing dept.'s fault, of course. They fall on the owner of the building. But our housing office may very well decide to try and stick a charge to you when you leave.

New teachers arriving for SQU LC orientation in Aug./Sept., if you opt for the furnished housing, take photos and write down EVERYTHING!!!

As for the transport situation- SQU will provide a driver for you within your first week here. After that, transport will be your responsibility. Having a license and a car really is necessary in my opinion, if for nothing else then to get from the Language Centre to your teaching building on campus.
CVN-76

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In Oman I never needed a car. But I would never buy a car there unless I became convinced I would be staying beyond a one-go contract. Buying a car would require too much of a gamble, given the conditions (students) there. I can see myself buying a car my first week on the job, only to have to turn it back in within months (when I quit) or after my contract is up. Yeah, right. One can find plenty of taxis within a few minutes just about anywhere. Taxis that won't cost more than a dollar or two to get you to work. If somebody has a problem paying, say, 10 bucks a week for taxi transport and calls that a deal breaker, he shouldn't be going to Oman.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sydney was referring to SQU, not the recruiter jobs. Most teachers who are hired renew... mostly numerous times. Some of them are nearing 30 years there. And that is because teaching at SQU is NOTHING like the experiences in the hinterlands... and you have the best of the students, not a babysitting job.

VS
Noelle

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to add my two cents here, as I am currently employed at the LC too…

Opti, Sydney and Demigoddess are very accurate in their assessment of our housing department. At one time, I have no doubt that they were considerably more accommodating. Now they are very overwhelmed and have new employees to place year round, it seems. This has led to a sort of 'tier system' if you will, which does in fact place LC teachers at the bottom of the barrel. It is very much a game of hit and miss when you come here and accept the housing provided. Mine was a hit, thank goodness.

Also keep in mind that no matter how poor the housing you're offered may seem, it is still much better than what you'd get if you took the housing allowance only… unless of course you want to pay for your housing yourself.
Demigoddess

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whatever will be wrote:
veiledsentiment

Most of my colleagues don't have a car - neither do I.

The salary and living costs are such, that most teachers simply can't afford it.

It is extremely limiting and almost impossible to live in Oman without a car. One can only survive so long. At SQU, I know of 3 out of 240 teachers that don't drive.
holoholo girl

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 9:19 am    Post subject: housing options Reply with quote

I have a few questions about housing as I'm thinking about making the jump from Bahrain to Oman next year.

First, either on-campus or off-campus, are most (landlords) open to having cats? I have 2.

Next, if there are too many teachers for on-campus housing, why is the off-campus stipend so small (I am inferring this from other posters)? Is there a middle-of-the-road off-campus stipend amount that someone can give me? Is it a concrete amount, or does it fluctuate for every deal made during contract negotiations?

Thank you in advance for any advice to share.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I presume that you are talking of SQU since it is the only place I know in Oman that has on-campus living. If you are a professor, you may have the chance to get on-campus, but a mere MA from the Language Center will be off campus. As far as I know, you live in their housing inventory, not a housing allowance. Some people choose to live closer in to their kid's school and I haven't heard complaints about not being able to pay their rent with their allowance.

At employers with a housing allowance, it is a set amount and you can usually find a place for that amount. You won't be renting in the posh expat neighborhoods where they are furnished and probably have access to a pool.

Cats shouldn't be a problem, but first you need an offer to see where you will be working and living... then ask about cats (and housing allowances and options).

VS
Noelle

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2015 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yikes.

Looks like this thread needs to be revived for prospective new LC teachers who are coming and maybe some currently here living in SQU provided accommodation. Have there been some shakeups in housing? I leave very soon, so please do share if you're here currently and know something I should know!
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2015 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This thread seems to be from last fall (or well before that)... so nothing in it should affect you at this point. Cool

VS
Whatever will be

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2015 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing
Noelle

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2015 3:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually it was started last spring (3/14), and the current 'admin shift' in housing that took place 4 - 6 weeks ago, or so I'm told, affects me greatly... which is why I took the time to hunt this thread down and revive it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Oman All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: