Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Higher Ed Job Search

View previous topic :: View next topic  
nepenthes

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 3:26 am    Post subject: Higher Ed Job Search Reply with quote

Does anyone have experience looking for university-level teaching positions in Mexico? I have seen the sticky topic on job board sites, but most of the advertised positions seem to be for elementary schools or language schools. While I'm not completely opposed to teaching at those types of schools, I have an MA in English and several years of experience teaching at universities in Japan and Korea. I would like to find a position that utilizes my degree and experience, at least a little.

I've already sent my resume to a few universities where I'd like to work, but I was wondering if anyone could give me some advice on how to make my search a little more efficient. Or, if you have similar experience in other parts of Latin America, I would also be interested to hear from you. Thanks everyone!
MotherF

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I work in a university in Mexico, we've had a lot of old threads on the topic. Apart from just reading the sticky, have you run a search in the Mexico forum for posts with the word university in the title?

Sometimes jobs are advertised, but often they are also had by being in the right place at the right time and networking. People let others in their network know when a position will be opening up.
Guero1

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have applied for a few, mostly going to the Universities themselves and putting my C.V. in the right hands. However, the interviews I had meant that I am betting paid staying in private EFL schools. Which is a shame really as I'd like to see what it is like working in a University one day.
MotherF

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You both might want to look into the Oaxacan Regional University System (SUNEO) there are plenty of older threads on that.
nepenthes

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 5:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice, MotherF. I'll try to look through the old posts more thoroughly.

Could I ask how you found your initial job in Mexico? Did you start at a university right away? And do you know anyone who has successfully found a job before moving there? I'm still in Japan right now, and I want to make the leap, but I'm a little nervous about moving to a new country without any concrete prospects.
MotherF

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, I did get my job from outside of Mexico and it had been posted here on Dave's, but that was in 1998 and things have changed now.

You are not likely to find a Mexican university advertising on Dave's nowadays, but if you run a google search with university job English teaching Mexico you might find some postings elsewhere.
Also visa procedures have changed and you will need to apply for your temporary resident visa (to work) from your home country. So it will be hard to get a school's attention while you are still in Japan.

Once you have enough posts to use the pm feature message me.
notamiss

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Supposedly you have to apply for the temporary resident visa at the Mexican consulate in your home country, but I think there is evidence to suggest that it can instead be your country of residence (not necessarily your country of nationality), and wasn’t there someone here just a couple of months ago who was able to do it from Belize just by taking a trip there?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Mexico All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: