Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

$850 US for a 1 Year Visa?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Galileo

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 4:05 am    Post subject: $850 US for a 1 Year Visa? Reply with quote

http://www.nhatrangvisa.com/

Why is it so expensive?
Mushroom Druid

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 7:33 am    Post subject: Re: $850 US for a 1 Year Visa? Reply with quote

Galileo wrote:

Why is it so expensive?

A four letter word.

Starts with a "g" and ends with a "d."
kurtz

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 9:27 am    Post subject: Re: $850 US for a 1 Year Visa? Reply with quote

Mushroom Druid wrote:
Galileo wrote:

Why is it so expensive?

A four letter word.

Starts with a "g" and ends with a "d."

Gold?
Good?
Goad?
Glad?

Perhaps you mean a five letter word.....
ieltsteacher102

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah reminds me of numerous teachers in vietnam teaching children 20 usd per hour is not the golden egg but to sit on a plastic chair drinking bia hoi kurtz it sounds like you were in vietnam for a long time my experience is most teachers return to vietnam see you soon in the pham
ExpatLuke

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

$550 for a work permit is pretty crazy too... But then again, how can a visa agency get you a work permit? I guess if you're working for a school that won't get you a work permit, some people would be willing to pay that much for a fake one...
kurtz

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ieltsteacher102 wrote:
Ah reminds me of numerous teachers in vietnam teaching children 20 usd per hour is not the golden egg but to sit on a plastic chair drinking bia hoi kurtz it sounds like you were in vietnam for a long time my experience is most teachers return to vietnam see you soon in the pham

Less than three years in Vietnam. I had someone from the Korea branch years ago say "you will be back"; it never happened, nor will I return to Vietnam. It is kind of fun reading about visa problems people have and 20 bucks being good money though. Enjoy your cheap beer while breathing it that mighty fine clean air. Hic!
Very Happy
Prof.Gringo

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kurtz wrote:
ieltsteacher102 wrote:

Less than three years in Vietnam. I had someone from the Korea branch years ago say "you will be back"; it never happened, nor will I return to Vietnam. It is kind of fun reading about visa problems people have and 20 bucks being good money though. Enjoy your cheap beer while breathing it that mighty fine clean air. Hic!
Very Happy

Oh yes, let's gloat!

I can go back to the USA and make $6,000 month easily, $9,000 per month is possible, but then I would do a bit more work than any of you folks have ever done TEFL'ing Razz Rolling Eyes Laughing
kurtz

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Prof.Gringo wrote:
kurtz wrote:
ieltsteacher102 wrote:

Very Happy

Oh yes, let's gloat!

I can go back to the USA and make $6,000 month easily, $9,000 per month is possible, but then I would do a bit more work than any of you folks have ever done TEFL'ing Razz Rolling Eyes Laughing

Sorry dude, but if you think $20 an hour is paradise; Vietnam is the place for you.

I take the Pham means the backpacker district? I spent one night there and never again. Seeing all those washed up guys and disgusting Antipodean tourists leching over any young female who had the misfortune to walk within earshot filled me with such an appalling feeling that I can't even put it into words.

Glad to see our old friend has a brand new account. A brand new poster calling me by name; maybe the General is back.

Apologies to the OP. Shop around but things are not too clear in Vietnam in regards to visas and work permits; always best to work for a reputable company that does the legwork for you.
ieltsteacher102

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 3:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont know who the general is but for a more serious discussion, 20 usd an hour is a good hourly rate for teaching in Vietnam, also for the region, i dont know many other countries whwre one can make 20 usd per hour, cambodia, china thailand, laos, etc but I could be wrong, vietnam also has a low cost of living, so 20 usd per hour 2000 usd per month and teachers can probably have a better life than in korea taiwan etc, about the backpacker area, or what every person that i know calls the pham, I hang out there all the time and the majority of tourists teachers etc treat the locals with respect as i said before i hear a lot of people saying bad things about vietnam when they have left but most of them return after a year or so because its a great place to teach and live of course every person has different experiences but saigon is a rocking place about hourly rates, international house pays 17 usd per hour in san diego, 15 usd per hour for substitute teachers who have teaching license is standard in many states in usa, many esl teachers in usa make less than 20 usd, whats the hourly rate in europe, uk?
ExpatLuke

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 4:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indeed. $20 isn't great but its definitely not bad either. When you're only paying $250 a month in rent, you can enjoy a reasonably comfortable lifestyle of teaching in the evenings and sipping coconut juice on the beach every morning. Many of my fellow teachers are settling down with locals and putting down roots in Vietnam. If you have a decent school which covers health insurance and visa costs, you're going to do fine.
kurtz

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 5:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ieltsteacher102 wrote:
I dont know who the general is but for a more serious discussion, 20 usd an hour is a good hourly rate for teaching in Vietnam, also for the region, i dont know many other countries whwre one can make 20 usd per hour, cambodia, china thailand, laos, etc but I could be wrong, vietnam also has a low cost of living, so 20 usd per hour 2000 usd per month and teachers can probably have a better life than in korea taiwan etc, about the backpacker area, or what every person that i know calls the pham, I hang out there all the time and the majority of tourists teachers etc treat the locals with respect as i said before i hear a lot of people saying bad things about vietnam when they have left but most of them return after a year or so because its a great place to teach and live of course every person has different experiences but saigon is a rocking place about hourly rates, international house pays 17 usd per hour in san diego, 15 usd per hour for substitute teachers who have teaching license is standard in many states in usa, many esl teachers in usa make less than 20 usd, whats the hourly rate in europe, uk?

20 dollars an hour means you're relying on hours your $2000 a month means 100 hours a month teaching hours how many people are getting 100 hours? I agree 20 an hour is not terrible but it seems to be an aspirational figure you need good hours to make ends meet but not much of a figure to support a family and pay for schooling 2000 is ok for a single man in Vietnam but will always be on the lower end salary wise of the expat totem pole SE Asia in general is a low paid area better to have passive income from abroad than rely purely on an ESL wage we are all different but 2000 is not enough for me I do miss certain aspects of Vietnam but the money students and expat community in general I do not miss and as the world is a big place I can think of several other places to live and work rather than swan around Vietnam again sorry but it's time to learn how to use a full stop now
Okie from Muskogee

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahhhhhh...... different strokes for different folks. Idea
ExpatLuke

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kurtz wrote:
ieltsteacher102 wrote:

20 dollars an hour means you're relying on hours your $2000 a month means 100 hours a month teaching hours how many people are getting 100 hours? I agree 20 an hour is not terrible but it seems to be an aspirational figure you need good hours to make ends meet but not much of a figure to support a family and pay for schooling 2000 is ok for a single man in Vietnam but will always be on the lower end salary wise of the expat totem pole SE Asia in general is a low paid area better to have passive income from abroad than rely purely on an ESL wage we are all different but 2000 is not enough for me I do miss certain aspects of Vietnam but the money students and expat community in general I do not miss and as the world is a big place I can think of several other places to live and work rather than swan around Vietnam again sorry but it's time to learn how to use a full stop now

Why isn't $2000 per month enough to support a family off of? You wouldn't be the only one working, you'd have a partner who works full time as well. $2000 is already more than pretty much any working class Vietnamese family you'd meet, and they seem to do quite well. I teach students whose parents work in hair/nail salons or run one of those street side food stalls. They don't seem to have any trouble affording schooling plus the extra English classes.

My partner grew up with her dad being the only source of income for their family of 7, and he still paid for university for 2 daughters and high school for 4 of them. He did this all on a fisherman's wage who probably made less than $300 per month.

I dunno, I hear a lot of the older folks say things like kurtz has, but I just don't understand how you would find it difficult to raise a family with that much. I grew up in a family of 7 in the US, and we only made about $5000 per month, and we never felt like we were poor or wanting for anything. All of us went to college and graduated debt free.

I have plans to get married, buy a house, and settle down here Vietnam in the next few years, and barring something like war breaking out, I don't see any problems down the road.

Sure I could move back to the US and do the same with a job there, but I sure as hell wouldn't enjoy the same quality of life as I would here.
LettersAthruZ

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ieltsteacher102 wrote:
20 usd an hour is a good hourly rate for teaching in Vietnam

Errrmmmm-kaaaay..... Rolling Eyes

ieltsteacher102 wrote:
of course every person has different experiences but saigon is a rocking place about hourly rates, international house pays 17 usd per hour in san diego, 15 usd per hour for substitute teachers who have teaching license is standard in many states in usa, many esl teachers in usa make less than 20 usd, whats the hourly rate in europe, uk?

Right, however, in The States (from what I recall during my tenure there), you are paid that flat fifteen bucks an hour for simply being ON-SITE (be it teaching, working at Rite-Aid, etc. etc. etc.)!

Viet Nam?

It's standard for ONLY classroom instruction time to be compensated!! Moreover, from what I've been hearing (I can't speak from experience 'cause I'm a Freelancer) is that a growing number of these centres/mills are NOW attempting to squeeze in cutsey things such as test and paper correcting, parent meetings, presentations, plays and pageants, etc. etc. all on YOUR time UN-compensated, stating to the ESL instructor that "....these are not classroom TEACHING hours....."

So, yeah.....it's a bit like comparing apples and oranges.....
kurtz

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you want to live like a Vietnamese person? Eat bun cha every day, live in a cramped apartment, send your children to a Vietnamese public school; what sort of education are they going to get there? Will you be able to afford trips home? Are you able to earn $2000 every month? How much does your future wife earn? Will she still work if she has kids? Do you have to support your wife's family? Will you enough money to fly home at short notice and be without a job if someone at home was to get sick? Do you trust the local hospitals? Will you have enough to live off in retirement?

How well do you know the culture?

Going native is the key; seems like you've made your mind up already.

Good luck.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Vietnam All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: