Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Piano movers in Muscat anyone??
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Noelle

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 7:00 am    Post subject: Piano movers in Muscat anyone?? Reply with quote

Hi all

This may be a long shot, but does anyone out there know the contact details for a moving company that I can call to move my digital piano from one flat to another?

I am making a rather hurried move up the street, but I cannot get this piano down three flights of stairs on my own, and even if I could, my car will not accommodate it.

Anyone out there have any suggestions for who I can call?
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you check with any of the Indian guys in housing or maintance? One of them probably has a friend with a truck... and a helper.

VS
Sleepwalker

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get in touch with Tunes(http://www.tunesoman.com/piano-moving) and I'm sure they'll help
Noelle

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 2:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, sleepwalker! I've passed them on the highway and was actually wondering if I should give them a call. It's Friday now and I'm leaving the country on Tuesday night, so not sure if they'll be able to help me before then, but I'll try to contact them…

Appreciate it!
grahamb

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 3:27 pm    Post subject: Moving Reply with quote

VS's advice is sound, as there are plenty of Indian (and other) workers who will lend a hand for a consideration. Make sure that at least one of them understands English, and wrap the piano in several layers of bubble plastic before they move it.
SirAristede

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

An old friend of mine had her parent's piano moved to a new unit and the movers dropped the piano (which had been in the family for some time and was originally moved from Russia, if I'm not mistaken). The piano fell down stairs and was utterly destroyed. Needless to say, try your utmost to secure movers who are experienced with moving delicate and heavy objects like pianos. As a pianist myself, I cringe whenever I see inexperienced people attempting to move pianos. Now the question is whether such a mover can be easily found in Muscat, I have no idea. Sleepwalker's suggestion looks like a promising lead.
Sleepwalker

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although not musical myself, I am from a family of musicians. Moving a piano is a skilled job and asking a labourer is a recipe for disaster
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would think that a digital piano is much simpler than a traditional piano. Certainly a lot lighter!! Cool Though too heavy for a small woman to do on her own.

VS
Noelle

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the input, everyone! Yes, I am VERY fussy about who moves this instrument. It is smaller and lighter than a full upright piano, but still very easy to drop!

I will contact Tunes here in Muscat and see if I can pay someone to move it for me.
SirAristede

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

veiledsentiments wrote:
I would think that a digital piano is much simpler than a traditional piano. Certainly a lot lighter!! Cool Though too heavy for a small woman to do on her own.

VS

The weight of a digital piano varies depending on the model. Digital pianos are more than just regular portable keyboards and are modeled (in most cases) to look like actual pianos. Ones lacking full cabinets can weigh less than 200 lbs (91 kg), but digital pianos with the full piano cabinet can weigh up to 500 lbs (199 kg) or very close to the weight of an upright piano.
Noelle

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine does not have the cabinets. It really is quite light. I've moved it myself from room to room. But there is no way I can move it down three flights of stairs. And after careful consideration, I've decided I don't want any of my friends helping me either. It's just way too dangerous as the stairwell is so narrow, it was nearly impossible getting the thing up last year.

Anyhow- thank you Sleepwalker! I've contacted the guy from Tunes and they are going to give me a quote tomorrow. Whatever it is, I would feel better just letting professionals deal with this. Thanks again!
Sleepwalker

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're welcome and I hope it goes well
SirAristede

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 2:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let us know how it works out, Noelle!
Noelle

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mission accomplished! Piano has been moved safely and successfully. I feel a bit stupid because I didn't think about having the keyboard part removed from the stand/legs when I initially helped to carry it up all those stairs.

Still glad to have had professionals involved. 60 OMR is not too bad, I guess… especially for peace of mind about an instrument.

Thanks again for all the help on this thread!
SirAristede

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad to hear it worked out!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Oman All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: