Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Year round work in the UK?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Kingdom
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hod

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which book in particular? Last week, for example, I struggled through Homage to Catalonia. I'm not sure what your point is, but maybe you're not aware that Orwell wrote more than one book, and there will always be opportunities in Spain.
scot47

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The one that deals with life on Airstriup One during the period of the construction of Ingsoc. "1984".

I am surprised that the Heathen Hod reads at all.

On looking at life on our "Airstrip One" I am reminded of how prescient Orwell was.
Hod

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've read at least twice as many Orwell books as you it seems. I even make an effort to read the news every now and then. If you can't get decent work in the UK in this economic climate, you're doing something wrong.
Captain Coddo

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hod, our Scot is, after all, a Scot, and genetically programmed to be pessimistic. Remember "we're all doomed!" from Dad's Army? It's all part of the national (soon to be international?) psyche.

And let's face it, all Scots have a perfect right to be grim and dour, right?
Hod

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good point, but no.

This individual claims to have taught for a number of years including a spell in Saudi Arabia, which is reportedly a means to a financial end. Despite this, he lives on benefits in some sheltered housing project in the Clyde estuary. For whatever reason, things obviously haven't worked out, so he chooses to pour derision on everyone else. I'm prepared to inject an element of humour into proceedings, but I'd rather he didn't post on this forum as he has nothing to contribute.
Nicholas19

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 7:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Year round work in the UK? Reply with quote

neverheardofem wrote:
I know the pay rates are crap, but how is the UK, Oxford specifically, for full time year round work? I have an option to work there for the summer but don't think it would be worth it unless I was planning to stay there after.

I have worked at EF Oxford for the last three years. They offer quite a good number of hours per week and do have contracted positions occasionally available. It's the biggest language school in Oxford so you have the best chance of finding work there but there are some language schools in Oxford which pay higher (e.g. Kaplan) but have fewer positions available at any given time.
scot47

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The man with a dog collar and a wizard's hat is clearly beyond help.

The economic crisis has driven him over the edge into that realm from which there is no return.
grahamb

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 3:22 pm    Post subject: Hod potato Reply with quote

Quote:
maybe you're not aware that Orwell wrote more than one book

Another supposition.

Quote:
and there will always be opportunities in Spain.

Which is not the UK.

Quote:
I've read at least twice as many Orwell books as you it seems.

Yet another supposition! Where does it all end?
Sashadroogie

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clearly the fractious UK is going to end in mass unemployment and state failure. One can only wish that there really was an omniscient Big Brother to lead Airstrip 1 to Ingsoc and final victory...
grahamb

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 11:22 am    Post subject: The state we're in Reply with quote

State failure. Excellent. Anarchy for everyone! Very Happy
Sashadroogie

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup. Except for those without Kalashnikovs...
grahamb

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 7:02 pm    Post subject: Homage to Catalonia Reply with quote

Pah! There were no Kalashnikovs in Barcelona in '36.
Sashadroogie

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tru dat. Not till '47.

But is the weapon of choice ever since when you absolutely need to go it alone without state aid...
sprightly

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

independent/international schools. many do not require a pgce, but may want delta/ma-tesl.
25-35K/pa (pre tax) for teachers, more for department heads.
generally 6-15 wks hols per year, during which you can teach holiday schools if you want more cash.

this is a growth sector in the uk, these schools are booming and generally have good turnover as their teachers get headhunted or go into examination businesses. it involves putting up with spoiled rich snots and profit-obsessed bosses, but then how is this different from schools abroad?
roywebcafe

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 9:45 am    Post subject: Re: Hod potato Reply with quote

There are a lot more EFL jobs in Spain than in the UK - Have lived in both and from Brum in UK. Recently offered a post in Brum where the teacher only gets paid if the students take and pass exams. mmm will look into it more.

As for the rise in econmic growth and jobs aplenty, well employers only want experienced people for most jobs and you need a CRS or C something card just to work as a labourer. Age is another factor and LOCATION a real biggy. If you live in an area of high unemployment relocation is not affordable in the UK which is why we Teflers go abroad. Don't forget if there is only 7% unemployemnt in a country there can still be 80% unemployment in any given area. And i have already mentioned relocation. Will add UK has one of the highest cost of Renting and public transport in Europe.

As for that card i mentioned you have to be employed to get one and you can't get employed without one which sounds more like catch-22 than Orwell. Oh well who wants to be a labourer anyway.

Yours , Stuck in a rut

grahamb wrote:
Quote:
maybe you're not aware that Orwell wrote more than one book

Another supposition.

Quote:
and there will always be opportunities in Spain.

Which is not the UK.

Quote:
I've read at least twice as many Orwell books as you it seems.

Yet another supposition! Where does it all end?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Kingdom All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: