Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

IH Bangkok Delta course

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Thailand
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BootOfTheBeast

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 9:33 pm    Post subject: IH Bangkok Delta course Reply with quote

Yet another IH Bangkok enquiry, sorry!

I've read a few ageing posts re the Celta course, but was wondering if anyone had any insights on the intensive Delta course they run - specifically, the tutors and facilities. There were some concerns on previous threads about cramped conditions and dearth of computers, but I'm not sure if they still hold true a couple of years on.

They also offer pre-arranged apartment accommodation for $1000 (8 weeks) at a place called The Manor, quote "Kalapapruek Road, Bangwa, Phasicharoen, Bangkok, 10160 -- a 10-20 minute shuttle bus ride and a 10 minute sky train ride to IH centre."

Does that sound about right, money and time-wise? Not too sure about current prices, especially if inflation is anything like it is in HCMC! I'm also wondering if doing that commute everyday on top of the course stress would be a bad idea.

Thanks in advance,

Boot
plumpy nut

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 12:15 am    Post subject: Re: IH Bangkok Delta course Reply with quote

BootOfTheBeast wrote:
There were some concerns on previous threads about cramped conditions and dearth of computers, but I'm not sure if they still hold true a couple of years on.

They probably don't have many computers because most people bring thier own laptop. I'll bet they have WiFi though. As far as the cramped conditions, welcome to the Bangkok TEFL scene. It doesn't really make a whole lot of difference in the end.

For uncramped conditions that are quite nice, you might try Chiang Mai University TEFL. The conditions there were quite spatious and it's easy to take a motor bike there, if you can handle one.

BootOfTheBeast wrote:
They also offer pre-arranged apartment accommodation for $1000 (8 weeks) at a place called The Manor

Does that sound about right, money and time-wise? Not too sure about current prices, especially if inflation is anything like it is in HCMC! I'm also wondering if doing that commute everyday on top of the course stress would be a bad idea.

Boot

If you're talking about 1000 US in addition to the TEFL cost it's too much to pay for two months in an apartment. You could get accomodation cheaper and use the savings to help buy a laptop if you don't have one. Because in ESL education you are going to need one.

If you want accomodation that is reasonably priced right next door to your TEFL school. Go to "The TEFL Institute". They have accomodation right next door and it's pretty reasonably priced for downtown Silom.
BootOfTheBeast

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your comments Plumpy Nut. Will have a look at alternative accommodation.

Boot
songsamnim

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Approach this program with caution, as you will be sharing the cramped space with up to 24 CELTA trainees, the head trainer was formerly their head CELTA trainer and only has taught one Delta course, which had an abysmal pass rate. Maybe in a few years it will be a solid center, but right now think carefully and ask lots of questions! If you do decide to study there, avoid the accommodation they offer and use soidb.com or mrroomfinder.com.
Mr. Leafy

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's been two years since a post in this topic. Can anyone offer anything more recent on any aspect of the Delta course or accommodation?

Their website looks unattractive and I sometimes let that overly influence me about a business but sometimes you can be surprised.
ILA in Vietnam has a much more professional looking site but the ease of having an accommodation package in real apartments (in Bangkok) rather than a hostel is appealing.

I'd like to know about the library too - does it have all the books you'd want to look at during a Delta?
SiThep

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

songsamnim wrote:
Approach this program with caution, as you will be sharing the cramped space with up to 24 CELTA trainees, the head trainer was formerly their head CELTA trainer and only has taught one Delta course, which had an abysmal pass rate. Maybe in a few years it will be a solid center, but right now think carefully and ask lots of questions! If you do decide to study there, avoid the accommodation they offer and use soidb.com or mrroomfinder.com.

Thanks for the heads up.
D. Merit

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 5:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SiThep wrote:
Thanks for the heads up.

The post is over two years old.
plumpy nut

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IH reminds me of IHOP. Laughing
damn_my_eyes

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2014 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any recent info regarding this course?
The time of their course in October 2015 fits in well with my plans, so I'm thinking of applying.

Looking on their website it says they've done eight Delta courses now, maybe they've ironed out any teething problems. Plus it is now being carried out at their Chang Mai branch.
Don't know if that's a good thing or not.
suphanburi

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2014 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Send Danny an e-mail and ask.

He is pretty open about the ins-and-outs of the program and facilities.

Shimokitazawa

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

suphanburi wrote:
Send Danny an e-mail and ask.

He is pretty open about the ins-and-outs of the program and facilities.

Yeah, but is Danny still around?

What about Chris and John, are they still there?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Thailand All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: