Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Work Permit Requirements May 2014
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Prof.Gringo

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mushroom Druid wrote:
sigmoid wrote:
Laughing Some recent highly amusing articles regarding the situation:

Work Permit Laws are Doing More than Just Hurting Business
http://expatmojo.com/human-casualty-short-sighted-policies/

Even Bill Gates isn’t qualified to get work permit in Vietnam: businessman
http://tuoitrenews.vn/business/20125/even-bill-gates-isnt-qualified-to-get-work-permit-in-vietnam-businessman

Businesses grumble as Vietnam's new foreign labor rules begin to bite
http://thanhniennews.com/society/businesses-grumble-as-vietnams-new-foreign-labor-rules-begin-to-bite-376.html

Laughing

I read these articles also. At least they are being published in the media here in VN.

Some of the businesses that regularly do work permits have stopped doing them because the work permits have basically come to a halt.

As usual, do not try to figure out the logic or rationale behind this. There isn't any.

Net result= More TEFL'ers being forced to work under the table or they can choose to leave VN.
I'm With Stupid

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got a new work permit a couple of months back, and had to do a medical check again (which you never used to have to do to renew). Does anyone know how long that should last for? Is it a year, or 2 years?

Also, how is this affecting the schools, because as far as I can tell, they're still hiring people on year-long contracts, and there's no way all of these new hires have 5 years experience. Incidentally, how can the Vietnamese government possibly know how much experience a work permit applicant has? When my school applied for my work permit, there was no point where I was required to provide an employment history or references.

Incidentally, I did notice that on a British Council advert, they now say that you need 5 years experience for work permit reasons. So do all of the other schools simply get around it in the usual way (I know the British Council aren't allowed to engage in corruption because of UK government rules). If so, I think we might have stumbled upon the real reason for these new regulations. One of the hallmarks of a corrupt society is to make sure it's impossible to operate without being corrupt. That way, they've always got something they can use against you if you don't tow the line.
ExpatLuke

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not really sure how some schools are getting around it. But I can answer how they can "know" you've worked for 5 years. I recently started working for a school which the Labor Department is forcing to jump through every hoop imaginable. They've asked me to provide all sorts of crazy things such as my police check from 2 years ago and letters of confirmation from previous employers to prove that I have the work experience.

Meanwhile, a school just down the street is hiring new teachers and getting their work permits with ease.
I'm With Stupid

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's obvious that most schools aren't following the rules though. If this law was enforced as it's written, it would literally close down every English school in the country within a few months, as 99% of their new hires have less than 5 years experience, and most English schools have a massive turnover of staff.
Prof.Gringo

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm With Stupid wrote:
It's obvious that most schools aren't following the rules though. If this law was enforced as it's written, it would literally close down every English school in the country within a few months, as 99% of their new hires have less than 5 years experience, and most English schools have a massive turnover of staff.

Outside of the major cities, many, if not most of the English language schools don't even hire foreigners. And most of the smaller VNese owned & managed schools pay LESS than $20USD an hour, usually $15 is the norm and sometimes wages are as low as $10-12USD per hour, these schools have never bothered to get WP's for their teachers.
andwar

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 7:49 am    Post subject: New Work Permit Requirements Reply with quote

I wonder how these new regulations will impact teachers who already have work permits (wp), and are now renewing their wp's. At my employer (an English school), I've been told that 2 pics and a current medical exam are all that is required to renew my wp. However, this article makes me believe that the renewal process is much more complicated.

http://tuoitrenews.vn/education/20715/vietnams-new-rules-on-work-permits-trouble-foreign-teachers
spycatcher reincarnated

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A positive article:

http://www.thanhniennews.com/business/vietnam-looks-to-slacken-work-permit-rules-for-foreigners-28715.html
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Vietnam All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: