Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Public School Teaching Scheme in Abu Dhabi + Religion
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Arab Emirates
View previous topic :: View next topic  
littlelauren86

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 5:07 am    Post subject: Public School Teaching Scheme in Abu Dhabi + Religion Reply with quote

Hi,

I had a couple of questions about this scheme for certified teachers, if you guys knew anything. I am considering going through this program to help me pay off student loans once I get certified.

1) Are they really strict about the teaching license being from your home state? My license will be from my country (USA) but from a different state. I wasn't able to get licensed in my home state without going back there to school full-time, so I went a different route.

If push comes to shove, I have family living in the state where my license will be from.

2) Is the vacation from July-September paid?

3) This is a general life question. I'm not religious at all. Would this be a problem? Or would I have to say that I am Christian or Muslim?

4) About sponsoring a child: I've read about the getting permission from a father part. What if the child is conceived by artificial insemination and the mother could prove it through the bank that she went through?
nomad soul

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In terms of your first two questions, most of what you need to know about teaching in public/international schools in the UAE can be found on Teach Away's site.

Q3: Don't worry about being nonreligious; it's really a nonissue (unless you plan on practicing sorcery). Wink

Q4: You'd likely need to provide specific documentation regarding your child's conception by artificial insemination via an anonymous donor. Best to contact the UAE embassy in the US for an official response.
littlelauren86

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info.

I did look on Teachaway's website, and it didn't specify my first two questions, which was why I asked them. For example it says that there's vacation through that scheme, but doesn't mention whether it is paid or unpaid.

So I was wondering if anyone had any knowledge regarding those.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

littlelauren86 wrote:
I did look on Teachaway's website, and it didn't specify my first two questions, which was why I asked them. For example it says that there's vacation through that scheme, but doesn't mention whether it is paid or unpaid.

So I was wondering if anyone had any knowledge regarding those.

Given that there are no 9 or 10-month teaching contracts, vacation time is paid, as are holidays that fall within those months. That's typical of all one to three-year teaching contracts in the GCC regardless of the employer.

Also: "Licensed teachers, qualified to teach within their home state, province, or region's public schooling system, may be eligible to teach overseas in public and private school programs." (http://www.teachaway.com/licensed-teacher-programs)
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How do they know what your "home state" is? But to avoid any questions I would use an address in that state. I have no idea why this would matter to them or Teachaway. You might have a license... and move to another state and not be teaching... as there might be no jobs. As far as I know, all US state licenses are equal for hiring, though particular courses may need to be added within a certain amount of time in a new state.

As to religion, put Christian in any space that asks. Then forget about it, as no one will quiz you or check to see if you go to the local church services. Cool They really have no concept of having "no religion" so best to not mention it.

VS
littlelauren86

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
How do they know what your "home state" is? But to avoid any questions I would use an address in that state. I have no idea why this would matter to them or Teachaway. You might have a license... and move to another state and not be teaching... as there might be no jobs. As far as I know, all US state licenses are equal for hiring, though particular courses may need to be added within a certain amount of time in a new state.

Thanks for the tip. I was thinking of just doing that, since I ran into an issue when applying for EPIK several years ago. I actually asked on another board, and a couple of teachers who were hired through teachaway told me that it doesn't matter, as long as it is a valid license.

Quote:
As to religion, put Christian in any space that asks. Then forget about it, as no one will quiz you or check to see if you go to the local church services. Cool They really have no concept of having "no religion" so best to not mention it.

I'll be sure to do that Wink I thought it would be that way.
SirAristede

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're considering teaching in Abu Dhabi's public schools with ADEC, I suggest you really research exactly what that entails. I went through part of the interview process but elected not to continue when I was told that I would have no control over where I would be placed. People with kids are usually placed in the suburb of Al-Ain, but some individuals with kids have been placed in less than desirable areas that are far from necessary amenities. Single teachers, for example, are often placed in the Western Region (Al-Gharbia) including its capital, Madinat Zayed, which is downright rural. TeachAway itself seems reputable, but generally recruits for more questionable workplaces. From what I've gathered, working at ADEC is a real gamble.

The bottom line is, you don't know where you'll be placed and some of the discipline and organizational problems are quite disconcerting, especially for someone unfamiliar with the culture of the GCC. As a female, you will undoubtedly have less trouble than your fellow male teachers since the female students are generally much better behaved than the male students. When you're considering a foreign teaching assignment, being able to control where you are going is key and I have read far too many negative things about teaching with ADEC. I would suggest you check out the link below.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/adec-beware-truth-last-765152/
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ADEC teaching is a real crapshoot as far as getting assigned at a decent school. Inner city teaching is a good preparation for many of the positions. Laughing

VS
SirAristede

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 2:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

veiledsentiments wrote:
ADEC teaching is a real crapshoot as far as getting assigned at a decent school. Inner city teaching is a good preparation for many of the positions. Laughing

VS

I agree, VS. I taught in the inner-city of Chicago for nearly six years, but when I was told that I wouldn't be able to choose my school or location in Abu Dhabi for ADEC, I declined to continue the interview process. The school that I will be teaching at this fall in Kuwait will likely have some discipline issues with boys, but at least I know which school it is and have researched it, spoken with administrators (at length), and also have some insight from teachers currently there.

Well, I know how you feel about Kuwait, VS. We'll see how it goes.... Laughing
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SirAristede wrote:
Well, I know how you feel about Kuwait, VS. We'll see how it goes.... Laughing

Laughing Laughing Yes, not my favorite Gulf country, but much of my negativity is due to horrendous conditions in my department. So, hopefully your job will be just the usual out-of-control boys.

Good Luck! The key is your management allowing you to enforce whatever rules you put in effect.

VS
Captain Coddo

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 8:43 pm    Post subject: Atheist Reply with quote

I once applied to work at a college in the UAE and put my religion as 'Atheist'.

Is that why I never heard a dicky-bird back in response, d'you suppose?
nomad soul

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's appropriate to state "non-Muslim" if it's possible to write in a response.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 12:28 am    Post subject: Re: Atheist Reply with quote

Captain Coddo wrote:
I once applied to work at a college in the UAE and put my religion as 'Atheist'.

Could have been that, or more likely your credentials didn't meet their desires of the moment.

VS
SirAristede

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 2:26 am    Post subject: Re: Atheist Reply with quote

Captain Coddo wrote:

I agree with VS that it was more likely your qualifications that were at issue. However, putting "atheist" on your application certainly couldn't have helped. While more "modern" and seemingly more "liberal" than Saudi Arabia or Kuwait, the United Arab Emirates are still Muslim and follow Sharia law (in fact the Emirate of Sharjah is probably the most conservative region in all of the UAE and on the list of the most conservative regions in the entire GCC).

This article is in response to Saudi Arabia's declaration that atheists are terrorists, but atheism is generally frowned upon in the GCC (and condemned if you're an apostate of Islam).

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2014/may/05/islam-atheist-saudi-arabia-terrorists-faith-muslim-world

It's not like you're going to be asked to quote Scripture, so I'd aver it's a better idea to put Christian (if you're not Muslim) to avoid any complications. As a Christian, I obviously have no issue putting "Christian", even when applying for positions in Kuwait or Saudi Arabia.

nomad soul, how is the response "non-Muslim" on applications generally viewed? When I applied for positions in Saudi Arabia, I had to specify either Muslim or Christian and was told there were no other acceptable responses. Shocked
nomad soul

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 3:30 am    Post subject: Re: Atheist Reply with quote

SirAristede wrote:
nomad soul, how is the response "non-Muslim" on applications generally viewed? When I applied for positions in Saudi Arabia, I had to specify either Muslim or Christian and was told there were no other acceptable responses. Shocked

I'd written "non-Muslim" on my Saudi visa application---it obviously wasn't an issue. I'd applied for my visa through the SACM since I was a direct hire. I think visa agents tend to be fussier about what visa applicants should write on their applications.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Arab Emirates All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: