Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

More ex-pat bashing
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tazz

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can we have a link for the bachelors on the beach story? It's Sunday morning and I need a good chortle before doing my grading! Laughing
omanoman

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

it's to stop the footballers from taking over the beaches as they currently do, leaving no space to relax or have a picnic - I am all for it since taking the family to the beach with the kids is one of the best things about Muscat.

Times link: http://www.timesofoman.com/news/35606/Article-Families-happy-at-Omans-bachelor-free-beach-zone
MuscatGary

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

omanoman wrote:
it's to stop the footballers from taking over the beaches as they currently do, leaving no space to relax or have a picnic - I am all for it since taking the family to the beach with the kids is one of the best things about Muscat.

Times link: http://www.timesofoman.com/news/35606/Article-Families-happy-at-Omans-bachelor-free-beach-zone

But why ban all bachelors? Another case of no joined up thinking.
Tazz

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

maybe that's what being a bachelor in Muscat is all about.....free-spirited beach soccer players? Cannot disturb the 'family unit' now, can we?
omanoman

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it is partly to do with the Ministry's way of making policy - blanket statements that don't accommodate every perspective and also partly due to a loss in translation - the regulation doesn't mean "unmarried men" but it means men arriving to the beach alone, in this case, to play football.

When 80% of the available sand is taken up by a football game, it is a royal pain and stressful for families with kids or who want some space to relax.

Now, if they would just do something about the yahoos ripping up and down on the quad bikes........
MuscatGary

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

omanoman wrote:
I think it is partly to do with the Ministry's way of making policy - blanket statements that don't accommodate every perspective and also partly due to a loss in translation - the regulation doesn't mean "unmarried men" but it means men arriving to the beach alone, in this case, to play football.

No, they mean unmarried men just as they did a few weeks ago when they announced that bachelors would no longer be allowed to live in areas occupied by families.

Now, if they would just do something about the yahoos ripping up and down on the quad bikes........

I agree, but punish the behaviours not a group of people based on a demographic indicator. If they really don't want bachelors, andthey've already blocked visas for women with the exception of female only occupations, then why not just advertise for married couples only? Maybe because they're more expensive? I'm afraid all of this is just more of the swing to the fundamentalists.
omanoman

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are taking a single news item, not a decision or policy and certainly not any action, to make vast assumptions about changes in Oman.

Really, a "bachelor city" ? No, what that news was about was that the Ministry of housing and the municipality will be making sure that homeowners rent out their properties for the intended purpose, ie single family dwellings in the case of villas. They are trying to limit or stop people from renting out their 4 bed villa to 15-20 workers. Yes, some families have complained about this and I am not sure I blame them.

Will the municipality now re-zone some land to force developers to build only 1-2 bedroom flats? yes, that is how they will try to solve the issue.

I am trying not to be combative but also can't ignore some of your more obvious misinterpretations or misleading assumptions about life here.

The Ministry is often bumbling, that much I agree with and their policies more often than not are too vague and blanket whole sections of the community when only a portion are the target. But I wouldn't spend too much time with dark theories about fundamentalists taking over.
Whatever will be

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the Ministry is trying, they are not succeeding but merely pushing the problem from villas to flats.

Case in point: a couple of weeks ago 8 Indian male bachelors have moved into the 2 bedroom apartment opposite me.

On a lower floor, there is now also a group of 4 Indian male bachelors in a 1 bedroom apartment.

Currently, there are some apartments for rent. Let's see who moves into those.

The cooking smells and noises are unpleasant as they leave their front doors open to benefit from the communal air conditioning in the corridor.
omanoman

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, that is what a lot of Ministry decisions do, just push problems around and not actually solve any of them.
MuscatGary

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm absolutely not taking a stance from one single news story but from a succession of decisions that started during the summer break last year with the banning of live music and dancing on stage.

Have you seen the locations of the intended Municipality bachelor zones?
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

omanoman wrote:
well, that is what a lot of Ministry decisions do, just push problems around and not actually solve any of them.

So it has always been. They make rules/laws... usually with no discussion of how to enforce them... or how the effects will ripple to create another problem.

VS
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Oman All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: