Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Speaking of disrespecting foreigners....
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why? It is no big deal as I am making the stop anyway. You're just too fastidious MG. Laughing I wasn't suggesting eating there, only taking a sip or two from a water bottle.

But perhaps the men's toilets are worse than the women's. Everywhere I ever worked in the Gulf, they were darn near as clean as my own at home. Some got rather wet at prayer time, but the cleaning crews were always very efficient at cleaning them once the ablutions were finished.

VS
MuscatGary

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The toilets at my College are disgusting, the female teachers report the same. It's just not a hygienic place to eat or drink and shouldn't even be contemplated.
johnslat

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the same problem when I had to sneak smokes in the boys'' room in high school. Darn rules. Very Happy

Regards,
John

Last edited by johnslat on Tue Jul 01, 2014 3:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having done lots of travel in unhygienic countries, I'm pretty good at taking a sip of water from my little bottle without poisoning myself from the local bugs. You may not remember that I started my teaching career in Egypt... Shocked so all is relative.

VS
MuscatGary

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

veiledsentiments wrote:
Having done lots of travel in unhygienic countries, I'm pretty good at taking a sip of water from my little bottle without poisoning myself from the local bugs. You may not remember that I started my teaching career in Egypt... Shocked so all is relative.VS

True! I spent two years in India, the toilets were cleaner than Oman and the students were immeasurably better!
nomad soul

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MuscatGary wrote:
The toilets at my College are disgusting, the female teachers report the same. It's just not a hygienic place to eat or drink and shouldn't even be contemplated.

Uh, it's really hard to believe there are no empty classrooms or offices or even a supply room at your campus where you can go to discreetly drink or eat.

By the way, keep in mind that women who breastfeed often end up having to use filthy restrooms to feed their babies or express their milk. But that's a whole different sensitive (and unrelated) topic.
MuscatGary

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nomad soul wrote:
MuscatGary wrote:

Uh, it's really hard to believe there are no empty classrooms or offices or even a supply room at your campus where you can go to discreetly drink or eat. All of the classrooms are locked when not in use. All offices are locked. Access to a storeroom! You're having a laugh.

By the way, keep in mind that women who breastfeed often end up having to use filthy restrooms to feed their babies or express their milk. But that's a whole different sensitive (and unrelated) topic.
and equally wrong.

The fact of the matter is that they don't care.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MuscatGary wrote:
nomad soul wrote:
MuscatGary wrote:

Uh, it's really hard to believe there are no empty classrooms or offices or even a supply room at your campus where you can go to discreetly drink or eat. All of the classrooms are locked when not in use. All offices are locked. Access to a storeroom! You're having a laugh.

and equally wrong.

The fact of the matter is that they don't care.

Seriously. You teach your class, you stay in the classroom once the students are gone, and drink your water. Where there's a will, there's a way. Rolling Eyes
madrileno

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The College of Technology I work at has provided a two rooms for non Muslim teachers (one for smokers, the other for non) during Ramadan. I found it very nice of them to do this.

I'll add to others' observations the the Omani staff appear to perform a disappearing act as soon as Ramadan starts, though. The only Omanis still coming in for work are the higher ups in admin.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wait... it's the first of July... what are any of you doing there? Unless I had volunteered to teach summer school, I was long gone by this time of year.

Both locals and expats who can afford it are normally gone by now.

VS
Whatever will be

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Veiled Sentiment
You had a faculty lounge?

MuscatGary
You have a common room?
And water dispenser?

Such luxuries - I am jealous of your amenities.
Whatever will be

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

VeiledSentiment

Obviously, we are all still at work.

Most teachers (except Omanis of course) are required to work until the middle of July.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whatever will be wrote:
Veiled Sentiment
You had a faculty lounge?

Such luxuries - I am jealous of your amenities.

As I said in the post, it was at HCT in the UAE. At KU, there was a cafeteria that had a blocked off section for non-Muslims during Ramadhan. In Oman, both employers, we just closed to the door to our offices.

Quote:
VeiledSentiment

Obviously, we are all still at work.

Most teachers (except Omanis of course) are required to work until the middle of July.

This may come as a surprise to you, but teachers can actually post to this board when they are traveling or from their home countries. Laughing Thus, posting here doesn't prove that you are still at work.

As I said, unless I had volunteered to do summer school, I was gone... usually on the road end of May or early June. I know that the last few years, the calendar has been changed because of Ramadhan and Eid at the beginning of the first semester, but that should end this year.

VS
Whatever will be

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 5:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

VeiledSentiment

I'm at work until the middle of July. So are all of my ex-pat colleagues. We're back at the end of August. We get a six week break.
This is the first break since the beginning of the year.

There is no summer school.

The cafeteria is closed.

The offices are open plan - everybody sees what everybody else is doing.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which brings us back always to the same refrain that is posted here repeatedly. Choose your employers carefully. Avoid recruiters/contractors. The least summer leave I ever had was 60 days per my contract.

VS
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Oman All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: