Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Working in OMAN colleges - feedback please
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Oman
View previous topic :: View next topic  
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hawthorne (aka Majali) has always been the pits...

VS
MuscatGary

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

veiledsentiments wrote:
Hawthorne (aka Majali) has always been the pits...VS

Maybe, I didn't find him too bad and definitely better at paying on time than the MOHE! Ok the money was less and the quality of acommodation and furnishings poor but still better than having to wait five months to be paid.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MuscatGary wrote:
...but still better than having to wait five months to be paid.

True, but this used to be the standard from most of the Gulf employers. It was 3-5 months when I got to SQU... and 3+ months at HCT in the Emirates (but they gave a good cash advance)... and 5+ months at KU in Kuwait.

As long as one knows and prepares for it. When I finally got paid in Kuwait, I went out and bought a new Toyota Tercel with my ATM card. Cool

VS
MuscatGary

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

veiledsentiments wrote:
[quote="MuscatGaryAs long as one knows and prepares for it.

True, but I was aware that this had been a problem in the past and asked about it. I was given a cast iron assurance that the salary would be paid from month one.....mind you a lot of other promises were broken this year and not just to me.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MuscatGary wrote:
veiledsentiments wrote:

True, but I was aware that this had been a problem in the past and asked about it. I was given a cast iron assurance that the salary would be paid from month one.....mind you a lot of other promises were broken this year and not just to me.

Ah ha!! So, you thought that a shady recruiter with a terrible reputation on this board for many many years was going to tell you the truth. Laughing

I know... we all deal in wishful thinking more than we should. This board can be helpful as far as learning about these employers and one always has to decide... are all these complainers right or should I believe this person who promises the world and seems so sincere.

VS
MuscatGary

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

veiledsentiments wrote:
MuscatGary wrote:
veiledsentiments wrote:

Ah ha!! So, you thought that a shady recruiter with a terrible reputation on this board for many many years was going to tell you the truth. Laughing

I know... we all deal in wishful thinking more than we should. This board can be helpful as far as learning about these employers and one always has to decide... are all these complainers right or should I believe this person who promises the world and seems so sincere.VS

I don't think you caught my drift, it was the MOHE who broke their promises this year. Hawthorn teachers were paid on time.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, you got paid, but direct hire teachers were paid late. I read your post that you were promised, but paid late. (nuance does disappear on forums)

VS
MuscatGary

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

veiledsentiments wrote:
So, you got paid, but direct hire teachers were paid late. I read your post that you were promised, but paid late. (nuance does disappear on forums)VS

No, I am direct hire, none of us got paid for five months. I worked for Hawthorn for the previous 2.5 years and was always paid on time. I know about his reputation and his accommodation is poor but he does pay what he says and when he says.
omanoman

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How did the group of direct hires manage without salary for 5 months? and why did you not go en mass to the manpower mediation service, especially considering that it is a ministry and not a private employer / recruiter involved?

It makes no sense to me that out of the group ( I don't know how many, 5-10?) not one got so desperate for cash and living expenses that he/she didn't make the move to formally complain. After the complaint, the ministry would issue a letter and an order to pay within one week with proof of bank transfer as evidence. Failure to do so, would move the case to court and it is not very likely that the Ministry is going to take another ministry to court, so it would have been resolved, or at least mitigated.

In case anyone is wondering, I have gone through this process and so I know it works. This is why my posts are stressing knowledge of your rights and then action, polite but firm, in order to retain these rights.

My apologies, but it just doesn't add up.

omanoman
MuscatGary

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

omanoman wrote:
How did the group of direct hires manage without salary for 5 months? and why did you not go en mass to the manpower mediation service, especially considering that it is a ministry and not a private employer / recruiter involved? Some had cash and used it. Some used the furniture loan to survive.
It makes no sense to me that out of the group ( I don't know how many, 5-10?) not one got so desperate for cash and living expenses that he/she didn't make the move to formally complain. After the complaint, the ministry would issue a letter and an order to pay within one week with proof of bank transfer as evidence. Failure to do so, would move the case to court and it is not very likely that the Ministry is going to take another ministry to court, so it would have been resolved, or at least mitigated. We did formally complain as a group, nothing ever happened. As I keep saying, times have changed, they don't care.

Again, as I keep saying potential teachers just need to be made aware of what can happen. Then they can make a choice. By the way I've never heard of anything legal being processed in the timeframes you mention. Anybody who wants to read about more horror stories re court proceedings dragging on and people (not just teachers) being effectively trapped in Oman waiting should google Muscat Mutterings and read through the archives. Again I wonder who you are and what your agenda is.
omanoman

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my username is omanoman, I have worked here for many years in 4 different institutions. My agenda is to join this online community to relate my experiences and help where I can. and, as it turns out, to assist in adding some balance to the threads that are designed to malign and generalize the conditions here as poor, inconvenient, unethical etc. I have acknowledged that they can be but not likely to the degree that you and others are stating.

I feel I am honestly trying to give another perspective, balanced but leaning toward the positive obviously but you seem determined to simply disparage the colleges, ministry and Omani people. So, the one with an agenda is obvious.

I am sorry that it has devolved to this kind of sniping but you can be sure that I am not a recruiter or a cheerleader for them and I don't think they care enough to "monitor" these boards. For heaven's sake, what would be the point of that? To somehow theorize about who the posters are and then take some form of action against them? Or maybe it's a quality control exercise and the goal is to analyze and improve recruiting services?

like I said, life is too short.....
MuscatGary

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

omanoman wrote:
I feel I am honestly trying to give another perspective, balanced but leaning toward the positive obviously but you seem determined to simply disparage the colleges, ministry and Omani people. So, the one with an agenda is obvious.

When I say that MOHE direct hires did not get paid for five months I am not insulting/disparaging the Ministry or the College. I am stating a fact.

When I say that the MOHE changes their demands after the teachers have arrived I am not insulting/disparaging the Ministry or the College. I am stating a fact.

When I say that the attrition rate for teachers is massively high I am not insulting/disparaging the Ministry or the College. I am stating a fact.

You ask me why so many stay? The ones I see who have stayed a long time fall into different categories. The SQU LC have a good gig with the best students. For the rest, well some young teachers put up with it for a few years to pay off students loans. Non-native speakers don't have as many jobs to choose from, just check the postings if you don't believe this, and so stay. The final group is those teachers who have adapted to, and accepted the cheating, low standards and widespread hypocrisy and are banking the money. there may also be some who got in with fake qualifications before the checks became more rigorous and who can't move on. Many of the latter groups suffer from cognitive dissonance and spout the same mantra - 'If you can help one student every year....'

If I wanted to be insulting it would be very easy but how would that help those who are weighing their options right now? Yes the wadis are pretty and yes some Omanis are charming and some are truly devout but for most teachers the ability to actually teach is what counts and here it's far more akin to baby-sitting, doing what you're told and passing the students no matter what.
omanoman

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

granted, those are your statements

facts? that is up for discussion

I am giving my impressions and I'm calling out some of yours. I am also critical of your clearly cynical attitude towards Oman, the people and your colleagues.

That's it. moving on............
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Up until just lately, MuscatGary's posts had been less negative. It is obvious that the situation at his employment became untenable - and yes, it has turned him a bit cynical. We've all been there, done that. Good that MG is moving on. These recruiter based college jobs really do sound like more babysitting than teaching, and I suspect that the Ministries know that very well.

In the meantime, SQU and a few of the private colleges are better situations, but much harder to get into as there are fewer openings..

So... it seems to me that both of you are right and it is time for all to move on.

VS
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Oman All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: