Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

School refusing to pay airfare as promised in contract
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Trebek

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 3:41 am    Post subject: School refusing to pay airfare as promised in contract Reply with quote

The contract with my current school (Chinese International School) is complete and my Principal is not paying my airfare. She gives no reason. She merely wont answer my calls or emails. School is closed for the summer. Two weeks before the school was closed she kept evading the question and giving me the runaround, but now....nothing but silence. And yes I've been polite the entire time.

Since this lady pays us in cash at the bank, my guess is that she decided to give herself an extra 10,000 for the summer holidays.

This happened in Shanghai. Anybody recommend a course of action? This is all new to me.

I do worry that if I raise too much hell about this the school might not recommend me and I'll have to leave China.
The_Kong

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 4:07 am    Post subject: Re: School refusing to pay airfare as promised in contract Reply with quote

Trebek wrote:
The contract with my current school (Chinese International School) is complete and my Principal is not paying my airfare. She gives no reason. She merely wont answer my calls or emails. School is closed for the summer. Two weeks before the school was closed she kept evading the question and giving me the runaround, but now....nothing but silence. And yes I've been polite the entire time.

Since this lady pays us in cash at the bank, my guess is that she decided to give herself an extra 10,000 for the summer holidays.

This happened in Shanghai. Anybody recommend a course of action? This is all new to me.

I do worry that if I raise too much hell about this the school might not recommend me and I'll have to leave China.

Do you already have your letter of release/recommendation?

Last edited by The_Kong on Thu Jul 03, 2014 4:11 am; edited 1 time in total
kjk_esl

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 4:09 am    Post subject: Sad News Reply with quote

So sorry to say that is a common tactic used by head masters. No talk to pay! Keep trying.
Non Sequitur

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 4:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your visa is in order I would advise her that you intend to list her school and the story on as many FT sites as you can.
I advise holding back assessment marks at end of semester 2 until you are all settled $$-wise.
Also make sure you have a clear week before flying out. If they know you are under time pressure..
Trebek

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 4:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes i do have my letter of recommendation, however Im looking for a new job. Whats a release letter Kong?
Hermosillo

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 5:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any kind of deferred payment seems to be a problem. Whether it's Summer pay, bonus, or airfare.........just more reasons to get rid of you. However in your case, they didn't terminate before it was do. Remember that guy in Korea, who signed for someone else's package and went down hard on drug charges? He was within a couple of weeks of getting about 7000 usd in bonus monies at the end of his contract. The more I read, and the more people I speak to; it just seems like it's hard to trust anyone. Heck, even in one of the wealthiest areas of the US; we were promised to be paid for unused sick leave, when we quit. I had 40 hours (never used a minute). The Superintendent (making 170K usd per year) looked us straight in the eyes and said "you will be paid for unused sick leave." She just failed to give us one small detail....you won't get your regular 16 per hour....we got 2.50 per hour.....man, did I feel like a sucker...all those Tuesday mornings after very late MNF games...I would have used every second of it. I think I am going to tell these pricks visa fee and one way airfare upfront.......
Shroob

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 5:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trebek wrote:
yes i do have my letter of recommendation, however Im looking for a new job. Whats a release letter Kong?

A release letter is what you need to transfer your FEC to a new employer.

In regard to finding a new job, the new employer will be the best person to put pressure on the old employer. I'm not sure about the airfare, but a new employer will know the ins and outs of the system (hopefully).

I sometimes hear about a 'City FAO', who's meant to be good at things like this. I'm not really sure about who they are or what they do but someone on this board has mentioned them a few times. Hopefully they'll see this thread and post.
damn_my_eyes

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As Shroob mentioned there should be a city FAO or some similar official in town. I found the contact details of a similar person when I worked in China as my FAO was dragging his heels about paying the airfare, doing the release letter etc
They were based in the exit-entry PSB bureau building, might be different where you are!
You could find out their details, then contact your boss and say you'll going to see them unless you get your airfare.
Bud Powell

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

damn_my_eyes wrote:
As Shroob mentioned there should be a city FAO or some similar official in town. I found the contact details of a similar person when I worked in China as my FAO was dragging his heels about paying the airfare, doing the release letter etc
They were based in the exit-entry PSB bureau building, might be different where you are!
You could find out their details, then contact your boss and say you'll going to see them unless you get your airfare.

Good advice!

The City FAO will straighten the school's FAO out pretty fast. The City FAO usually manages school FAO's and ensures that contracts are honored.
Bud Powell

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shroob wrote:

I sometimes hear about a 'City FAO', who's meant to be good at things like this. I'm not really sure about who they are or what they do but someone on this board has mentioned them a few times. Hopefully they'll see this thread and post.

They're usually in City Hall and very near the PSB. If you want to find the City FAO, just go to every floor in the building and ask in English "Where is the City FAO?"

Someone will tell you.

The City FAO is the grand Poo-Bah of FAO's. They bark, and the school FAO's jump.
Trebek

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool, I'll try it! My school was in Shanghai in the Putou district, I'm guessing that the Putou district hall is where I should start?
El Macho

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great, good luck to you! After you get things sorted please post here about how it went and where you had to go…it'll be really useful for others to know what to do!

Don't know if this is of use or not, but here's the website for the Shanghai Foreign Affairs Office…but you might need to go to the Shanghai State Administration of Foreign Experts Affairs (SAFEA) (外国专家局) office instead? Provided you have a FEC, SAFEA could be the ones since you (probably) signed a SAFEA contract. A few years ago I read about another FT who had the same problem and went to SAFEA to complain.

Again, good luck and keep us posted.
revilo

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 1:47 pm    Post subject: My variation of the no air ticket home Reply with quote

My employer gives me information at the last minute. I have been working here in Northeast China for 10 months (OK, Feb. doesn't count, but I got cabin fever). Now that the year is ending, the school tells me I will go to a different school and cover for a summer school teacher who is gettnng out.

They tell me this in JULY!! and Mr. Chinese henchman has his interpreter asking me questions about how soon I can move outta my apt. and do I remember if I answered her questions about how I can teach Business English and statistics, and other stuff. and then Chiney henchman looks at me and asks "Kuhyee maH?" which means "do i agree?" TO WHAT?!?!? being railroaded into covering your lazy ass because your teacher wants to go on vacation? What about my vacation? Curiously, my contract makes no mention of vacation. . . .Now I remember why I F'N HATE CHINA!! Mofo thinks he's slick!

I felt like blowing up and causing a big stinking scene but I remembered I have bigger fish to fry. Twisted Evil Mad Twisted Evil Mad Twisted Evil Mad Twisted Evil Mad
In addition, I got assaulted by one of their spoiled MUN party chairman wannabes. I banned cell phones and laptops in my class and he felt I was picking on him. A fat, bloated 200 lb toad threw me onto the desks and I end up with a sprained ankle and bruised hip. Now I have to notify Canadian authorities not to let this sociopath into their country. Can anyone top my story for sheer misery??? Crying or Very sad
revilo

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 1:53 pm    Post subject: the upside Reply with quote

the upside is that these clowns don't pay a bonus or airfare home for completing the school year.

NO LEVERAGE = SEE YA SUCKERS!! Laughing Man, I thought Chinese were good at negotiating. Wink
Non Sequitur

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shroob wrote:
Trebek wrote:

A release letter is what you need to transfer your FEC to a new employer.

In regard to finding a new job, the new employer will be the best person to put pressure on the old employer. I'm not sure about the airfare, but a new employer will know the ins and outs of the system (hopefully).

Shroob is right.
Your best ally if you are moving schools is the new school's FAO.
This is particularly so if the new school has more status.
I moved from a provincial 3-year associate degree vocational college to a tier one uni in the same city.
When the vocational FAO got cute about the release letter I called on my new FAO in person who leaned on the other guy.
I expect the fact that the new FAO was getting ready for his summer leave and didn't want a late-breaking issue to disrupt his plans had a bearing.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only) All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: