Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Starting in Oman in September?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
MuscatGary

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

veiledsentiments wrote:
It seems like stuff that expats who are not into the bar scene wouldn't even have noticed. I can see why the authorities look at closing all the bars as a cure for the problem. But we know that only diverts it and grows the black market...

You're spot on there. They would also have to close the Omani private bars and after the mini-Arab Spring that's not likely to happen anytime soon. I've noticed more and more Omanis in the liqueur stores too, 'waiting' for their domestic staff to finish buying from a list! The major problem they face is that cracking down on the availability of alcohol just doesn't fit with the expressed idea of creating a secondary economy based on high-end Western tourism.
nicole2010

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Re omanoman

Thanks for your comments. Would you not be 'eslbear' a previous poster as the 'shill' language sounds quite similar? There are more than two or three posters giving warnings about some of the conditions. In fact, there has a been a consistent pattern of the same issues raised by many of different teachers over the last several years.

Second, I have never given a - 'blanket condemnation of the whole system and people,' but think potential teachers should be aware of certain pitfall before arriving as it could have a major impact on their well being here. It seems you think if someone states a fact like employers pay late and (not just the Ministry) that they are now a 'unethical teacher?'

Actually, I haven't really known unethical teachers here; maybe some, at worst, with drinking problems or the occasional 'nut'. It seems you have become too cynical of teachers and now disregard or try to discredit someone (in defending Oman) when they have or there is legitimate issue that needs working on from both sides.
Whatever will be

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 5:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Omanoman

You still have not given us the four different institutions that you've worked at and had such wonderful experiences.

Sounds just like another exaggeration by one of those expat teachers. Whatever...
omanoman

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clearly, none of us will be giving anything away that may identify us, Whateverwillbe, so my apologies for not divulging more. I'm sorry that I have had had a better experience than you apparently, maybe I'm lucky or maybe I'm just better at dealing with things than you are.

Nocole, my comments were in response to MG who had offered his opinion in several posts about colleges, recruiters and Omani people. The form of the comments were generalized and objectionable. My comment about not being a 'shill' was also in response to his/her post about my 'agenda' in support of working conditions here, suggesting I was perhaps working for a management team somewhere or maybe a recruiting company.

I am really not trying to pick a fight with anyone or diminish someone who has had a poor experience here. I have expressed my sympathies and some surprise at the details, offered my advice, such as it is.

The truth remains though, that a few commentators - even say 10-20 over the years - posting negative experiences does not mean that the whole system is broken, corrupt and abysmal. And why should the negative comments be given any more weight than the positive ones, which no one bothers to post? An internet forum is the least reliable place for truth so my cynicism has some merit.

Look, if the details are correct, like many staff being routinely unpaid for 5 months from the direct hire ministry, that is outrageous and something should /could have been done. The group of staff sat around and did nothing for half of the year, somehow surviving on no money and not a single person had the notion to object formally with the authorities? It is unimaginable.
pooroldedgar

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember the 5-months thing. During the first semester several teachers were grumbling about it. They had transferred over from recruiters thinking it would be better.

I would have left, but I understand their situation is different. Having to endure this sort of crap is one of the things I was referring to when I said the non-native teachers are -- sadly -- in a different situation than most of us.
Whatever will be

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Omanoman

"Clearly, none of us will be giving anything away that may identify us, Whateverwillbe, so my apologies for not divulging more."

You asked me to 'name names' in another thread. This was at the risk of identifying myself. You did that without hesitation and criticized me when I did not do so.

Either common courtesy/ common sense is missing or it was an attempt to find out my identity. Only somebody working for an agency would try that in order to shut down (get sacked) those who speak the truth about the working conditions in Oman.

If you are telling the truth (that you've worked at four different institutions) it would not give away your identity by naming your previous employers; just leave out the current employer.

There seems to be a vested interest on your part to ' talk up' the working and living situation in Oman and discredit anybody saying otherwise or - as you did in my case - label it as ' exaggeration'.

Pooroldedgar
I second that.
Highlander.Mark

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well after all this reading as a prospective teacher in Oman all I can say is I have no idea what to think about the situation !!
omanoman

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whatever, please check the threads again - I have not criticized you for not naming anything and the conspiracy theory is a bit ridiculous.

For one, I don't think there are a lot of native speakers employed at the recruiting shops ( CECN, TATI, Globenet and Bahwan Cybertek) and so the quality of writing might be lower than what I'm posting.

So, these threads are slipping into a bit of a scrap between me and 2 or 3 posters so I will stop aggravating them and I'm sorry if that is what has happened.

For the purpose of contributing what I intended to do on this board, I will start a new thread with some positives, some cautions that i know of, some advice and whatever else.

Big games on tomorrow night, let's just focus on that !

omanoman
Tazz

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Because it relates to the subject of this thread I would like to confirm that any direct hire with the MOM, starting work this September, will more than likely have to wait several, or many months before getting paid. Fact. And I don't believe there is anything that these employees can do...but wait!
MuscatGary

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tazz wrote:
Because it relates to the subject of this thread I would like to confirm that any direct hire with the MOM, starting work this September, will more than likely have to wait several, or many months before getting paid. Fact. And I don't believe there is anything that these employees can do...but wait!

Ditto for the MOHE and there is nothing you can do. Don't come without enough money to stick it out. If you do then maybe omanoman will volunteer to support you financially for five months, after all he's adamant it doesn't happen so won't be taking any chances!
omanoman

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, thanks for that, but I'll take the high road.....

If it does happen and dozens and dozens of teachers are not paid for months from both the manpower and higher ed ministries, then I will happily find and recommend a legal representative for you to assist in taking your complaints to the manpower mediation offices. If that is not possible, I will supply a reliable Arabic speaker to be present.

The cost of full legal representation will be minimal shared between the many teachers and some exposure into this situation will be welcomed. A paper like the Muscat Daily would be interested in a story like that and they have often taken on such news when other media shy away from it.

Since I have never heard of problems like this at this magnitude in muscat having lived here for many years, then I will reserve my doubt concerning the issue until better proof can be given.

If it's true, then something can be done, yes? I am genuinely interested in helping because I have an interest in promoting Oman as a safe, interesting and worthwhile place to work.
MuscatGary

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

omanoman wrote:
Ok, thanks for that, but I'll take the high road.....

If it does happen and dozens and dozens of teachers are not paid for months from both the manpower and higher ed ministries, then I will happily find and recommend a legal representative for you to assist in taking your complaints to the manpower mediation offices. If that is not possible, I will supply a reliable Arabic speaker to be present.

The cost of full legal representation will be minimal shared between the many teachers and some exposure into this situation will be welcomed. A paper like the Muscat Daily would be interested in a story like that and they have often taken on such news when other media shy away from it.

Since I have never heard of problems like this at this magnitude in muscat having lived here for many years, then I will reserve my doubt concerning the issue until better proof can be given.

If it's true, then something can be done, yes? I am genuinely interested in helping because I have an interest in promoting Oman as a safe, interesting and worthwhile place to work.

Quite!
MuscatGary

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

veiledsentiments wrote:
No has suggested that this is acceptable, but it is a not uncommon fact of life in Gulf employment.VS
i

....and something which new entrants to the country/region should be made aware of so the can prepare. This is my only intention.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even back before the internet, I was informed of this issue. I can't recall at this point if the employer warned me or if I heard it from current/past teachers - by letter or expensive long distance calls back then. Shocked

To think we used to dive into these jobs with little or no information unless we were lucky enough to know some of the current teachers.

VS
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Oman All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: