Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Converting the UK driving licence.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
dragonpiwo

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 10:13 am    Post subject: Converting the UK driving licence. Reply with quote

7 years to go on mine but I want to convert my UK (EU) license to a Polish one. Anyone know what the rules are? I have a karta pobytu but not residency. I vaguely remember something daft about '2 years' or having to do a Polish driving test.

Any knowledge much appreciated!
Sgt Bilko

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did it. Very painless. I needed my karta pobytu (mine's a ten year one) which contained my official address and PESEL. As far as I remember that was it. Went to the office here in Opole, filled in the form while there (nice helpful lads helping out where necessary), handed it in with my old British licence and a photo or two (those left ear showing kind). I didn't have the paper part which was a major reason for doing it but no-one mentioned the fact. A week later, the new licence was ready to be picked up. Can't remember how much it cost - not much - and it is valid until I am 70. No changing it every ten years. Not sure what happens after that...

The licence says it is valid from 2012 (when I had it done) but on the reverse side, where the different categories are shown, it is dated from when I got my UK licence so rental agencies can see that I haven't just passed my test - some require a few year's experience. I've used it in Sicily and Israel with no problems.

My second Karta Pobytu, driving licence, international driving licence (for Israel) and kids' passports have all given me a completely different outlook on Polish offices. Everyone of them has been easy to get with friendly service (apart from the women who take your money and give you a stamp) and all done locally - no sending forms off to Passport offices or Driving licence authorities.
dragonpiwo

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 12:25 pm    Post subject: er Reply with quote

Is the PESEL a must as I don't have one? I work in Libya and am not involved in all that cos I've got BUPA etc. I know it's easy to get one though-just asking but it would involve me getting another place of living paper as I've moved.
delphian-domine

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sgt Bilko wrote:
I did it. Very painless. I needed my karta pobytu (mine's a ten year one) which contained my official address and PESEL. As far as I remember that was it. Went to the office here in Opole, filled in the form while there (nice helpful lads helping out where necessary), handed it in with my old British licence and a photo or two (those left ear showing kind). I didn't have the paper part which was a major reason for doing it but no-one mentioned the fact. A week later, the new licence was ready to be picked up. Can't remember how much it cost - not much - and it is valid until I am 70. No changing it every ten years. Not sure what happens after that...

Not anymore Sad The law changed, and we'll have to exchange our licences at some point between 2028-2033, as the EU decreed that so-called "bez terminowo" licences must be exchanged at some point for ones that will last only 15 years.

Quote:
My second Karta Pobytu, driving licence, international driving licence (for Israel) and kids' passports have all given me a completely different outlook on Polish offices. Everyone of them has been easy to get with friendly service (apart from the women who take your money and give you a stamp) and all done locally - no sending forms off to Passport offices or Driving licence authorities.

I always found Polish offices remarkably easy to deal with in comparison to the DVLA or other agencies in the UK. I got the International Driving Permit a few years ago for a little jaunt into Albania and Kosovo, and it was unbelievably painless.

Anyway, a PESEL is mandatory on a Polish licence. It's actually the way they stop driving licence tourists - without a PESEL, you can't have a licence. Apart from that, it's a straight swap, no drama or fuss involved.
Sgt Bilko

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh well, 2030 is when I reach 70 anyway so that doesn't make a whole lot of difference.

And I'm afraid delphian is correct about the PESEL - it's written on the licence. PESEL's are pretty much necessary for everything, aren't they? Even my Odra Opole Karta Kibica has a PESEL number on it.

Are you sure you haven't got one from when you used to work here? What's written at the bottom of your Karta Pobytu? Mine's got a PESEL on it.
delphian-domine

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I've found that if you don't have a PESEL, life is much more difficult. It's fair enough, given that if you're legally resident here, then you'll have a PESEL more or less by default.

Even when you go to the doctor, it's a simple question - "PESEL?". Once they've got that, they know as to whether you're insured or not. Simple and straight to the point.

I'm pretty sure he should have one already - best bet would be to go to the Urzad Miasta and ask them.
dragonpiwo

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 5:41 pm    Post subject: yep Reply with quote

That all sounds about right. I'll dig up my old karta, I have it somewhere at home. My new karta (18 months old) is just a bit of paper and what's weird is that anyone could forge it. Seems pointless. So that PESEL never changes right?

As we're in the EU, we can live here. I'm just not tax resident and have both EHIC and BUPA, so I haven't delved into PESEL and NIP any time in the recent past and I'm trying to remember it all.

I don't have to pay tax as I went to the tax office.

So thanks.
delphian-domine

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 4:27 pm    Post subject: Re: yep Reply with quote

dragonpiwo wrote:
That all sounds about right. I'll dig up my old karta, I have it somewhere at home. My new karta (18 months old) is just a bit of paper and what's weird is that anyone could forge it. Seems pointless. So that PESEL never changes right?

No, never changes once it's allocated. And you're right, that piece of paper is absolutely pointless, but it's because they're not allowed to charge EU citizens for residency documents. A proper ID card would be more useful, but...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Poland All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: