Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Non-native speaker teaching in Spain/Europe?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
real2104

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 11:38 am    Post subject: Non-native speaker teaching in Spain/Europe? Reply with quote

Hey there,

My girlfriend is Korean yet she can also speak English and Spanish fluently. She holds an bachelor's degree and is willing to obtain a TESOL/CELTA cert.

Though, I'm just not sure if she will be able to find work as I realize there is a preference towards native speakers. She's also open to volunteer work though.

Thanks.
MuscatGary

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not just to do with preferences. How is she going to get a work visa. Working illegally on a Schengen under the new rules is dodgy and involves having to go out and STAY out every 90 days for 90 days.
spiral78

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ditto what MuscatGary said. It's very difficult and rare for anyone from outside the EU to get a work permit to teach English; a non-native speaker with a BA and a CELTA has basically zero chances.

Not only can she not get a work permit, she can't even stay in Spain or the Schengen zone for more than 90 days without leaving the entire zone for 90 days. In the past, a simple border run served to restart the 90 day tourist visa, but no longer. Google Schengen zone if you are not familiar.

Simply not feasible.

Unless you are an EU citizen, and you marry her; then there is another set of possibilities, though still not entirely legally able to work in all EU countries as a spouse of an EU citizen.
real2104

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks a lot for the replies.

Though, I did find a TESOL course in Spain (advertised on eslcafe) that guarantee employment and said her nationality won't be a problem. Then again, perhaps they aren't being completely honest. =/
spiral78

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Though, I did find a TESOL course in Spain (advertised on eslcafe) that guarantee employment and said her nationality won't be a problem. Then again, perhaps they aren't being completely honest. =/

No, they aren't!!
real2104

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I linked them to this thread but they haven't responded to me yet... Seems they just want to collect the 995-1275 euros for the course. -_-

Oh well. She can do volunteer work legally for a few months at least, right ?

And, can you work (in general) part-time on a student visa as she might get her masters in Spain?

Thanks again for the replies !
spiral78

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, you need to find out how long a South Korean citizen can be in Spain and the Schengen zone legally. I cited the 90 days which is automatic for North Americans and Aussies and others, but I don't know how long a S. Korean is allowed.

As she would be on a presumed tourist visa, it would be illegal to work for pay, but I assume voluntary work would be ok.

And, yes, if she's doing a Spanish MA, she would probably be eligible for a student visa which allows part time work, but again you need to find out exactly what's available for South Korean citizens.

Basically, anything other than an EU member citizen has major obstacles to legal residence and employment.
MuscatGary

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

real2104 wrote:
Thanks a lot for the replies.

Let's call a spade a spade. They are LYING.
Sashadroogie

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And most likely cheating...
Xie Lin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spiral78 wrote:
Actually, you need to find out how long a South Korean citizen can be in Spain and the Schengen zone legally. I cited the 90 days which is automatic for North Americans and Aussies and others, but I don't know how long a S. Korean is allowed.

Yes, same requirements for S. Korean as for North Americans and citizens of other countries on the visa waiver list.

MuscatGary

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So basically, she would have to leave the Schengen zone for 90 days after each 90 days. Not a great solution and wearing on a relationship. Maybe think about some of the Eastern European countries? I'm not even sure about them but probably more chance.
Sashadroogie

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Come to Russia!!
MuscatGary

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sashadroogie wrote:
Come to Russia!!

I just knew that was coming......but why not?
Sashadroogie

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy
Xie Lin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

real2104 wrote:

And, can you work (in general) part-time on a student visa as she might get her masters in Spain?

Yes, you can work up to 20 hours a week on a student visa. But there are several points to keep in mind:

* She can not enter Spain as a tourist and apply for a student visa once there. She must apply for a student visa before coming to Spain. (Or return home to do so.)

* She must show proof of financial support for the duration of the student visa, approximately $1,000US per month. This can be in the form of bank statements, or a letter of support from parents. (Or possibly someone other than parents.)

* Income expected from working while on a student visa can not be used to show the required financial solvency during the visa application.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Spain All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: