Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Car required?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

View previous topic :: View next topic  
1st Sgt Welsh

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MuscatGary wrote:
1st Sgt Welsh wrote:
I'll be in Salalah so it would be a fair drive, but it might be doable. Thanks again!

If you've been told that you're going to Salalah then many of the negative points being posted on here don't apply to the same extent. There's a really good British HOD there and teachers don't seem to leave as much or as quickly. The only drawback may be that teachers often have to surrender their accommodation during the summer break even if they're coming back, this means having to find storage for stuff. The reason is that Salalah is a tourist destination in the summer and property attracts high rentals. In any case you've done well.

Thanks mate. I've looked at online photos and watched some videos about Salalah and it looks gorgeous. It seems a bit isolated, but flights to Muscat are only around 80 to 90 USD. Salalah was definitely my first preference Cool.
madrileno

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1st Sgt Welsh wrote:
Thanks mate. I've looked at online photos and watched some videos about Salalah and it looks gorgeous. It seems a bit isolated, but flights to Muscat are only around 80 to 90 USD. Salalah was definitely my first preference Cool.

I remember your post asking about jobs in Oman a while back... Congrats on making the move to Salalah. You'll love it here.
omanoman

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 5:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you bought a Royal Enfield in Muscat they might be able to truck it down there for you but that could be a long shot, or maybe a bit expensive ( more than 100 rials I would think).

It's about a 12 hour drive going the speed limit, which nobody does, camels, sand and lonely stretches of road - pretty hard on a new bike!

omanoman
1st Sgt Welsh

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

madrileno wrote:

I remember your post asking about jobs in Oman a while back... Congrats on making the move to Salalah. You'll love it here.

Thanks! I'm just about to send you a PM, hope you don't mind.

omanoman wrote:
If you bought a Royal Enfield in Muscat they might be able to truck it down there for you but that could be a long shot, or maybe a bit expensive ( more than 100 rials I would think).

It's about a 12 hour drive going the speed limit, which nobody does, camels, sand and lonely stretches of road - pretty hard on a new bike!

I'd be happy to pay 300 bucks or so extra if that's what it takes. A twelve-hour ride ordinarily wouldn't bother me, but the heat could be a problem as I'd imagine you'd bake in the late morning/early afternoon. Under those conditions, I'd probably take it easy and do it over two days. However, Salalah appears to be quite a bit cooler than a lot of places in Oman so I think a bike, instead of a car, might be doable. If I need to rent a car for a couple of months a year during the monsoons then so be it. I'll be arriving in Muscat initially so, if I have time, I'll ask around and make some contacts, but, ideally I hope I'll be able to find a decent Enfield for sale in Salalah. If there's a/are dealership/s in the country then there must be a few around Cool.
MuscatGary

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="1st Sgt Welsh) If I need to rent a car for a couple of months a year during the monsoons then so be it.[/quote]

Are you thinking of spending the monsoon season in Salalah? You may need to check out the situation re your accommodation during that time. Salalah based teachers often have to surrender their accommodation during July and August as the landlords can make big bucks off Omani tourists at that time.
Chuma

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Specifically for Oman, what are the pros/cons of:

Leasing a car
Buying a new car
Buying a used car

I plan on being in Oman for 2-4 years.

Thanks. Smile
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are new to Oman and coming on a one-year contract, I would start out leasing for the first semester... just to see the conditions and whether you still think you can/will do 2-4 years. The best time to buy a used car is actually the end of the academic year when other teachers are leaving and you will know what you are getting.

If I were to buy a used car, I would only buy from a Western expat... who has the concept that oil in a car should be changed. Locals tend to drive their cars into the ground. Not to mention that with the number of floods that they have had over the last few years, there are likely many cars that had been flooded in Honest Ahmed's Used Car Emporium.

I always bought a new car in each country as I expected to be there for at least 4 years, and I would negotiate free service (with loaner if needed) for the time I was there. Also, as a Western female, it normally took me one day to sell my cars when I left for a good price. The last car I sold in Oman, I had a friend put up the ad in the SQU faculty club board... and when I got home, there were 10 messages on my answer machine. The first caller bought it for my asking price.

VS
Tazz

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm curious about this-negotiate with the landlord so that you don't lose your accommodation during the summer? Wouldn't a one year lease, of an apartment or villa-be a one year lease....? Surely it wouldn't say-'I, the tenant agree to vacate my abode during July/August in order that my landlord can house tourists'?!!!! Confused
madrileno

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tazz wrote:
I'm curious about this-negotiate with the landlord so that you don't lose your accommodation during the summer? Wouldn't a one year lease, of an apartment or villa-be a one year lease....? Surely it wouldn't say-'I, the tenant agree to vacate my abode during July/August in order that my landlord can house tourists'?!!!! Confused

In Salalah, tenants have the option of getting either a 10 month or 12 month lease. The 12 month lease is much more expensive, as you're getting the apartment for the full twelve months, including the khareef season when rents are inflated. If you get the 10 month lease, rent is significantly cheaper, but you must vacate the apartment by the first week of July.
Whatever will be

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A well-known problem:

http://www.timesofoman.com/news/35490/Article-Omans-The-Ministry-of-Tourism-ban-on-renting-holiday-homes-out-to-tourists

Muscat: Residential apartments should not be leased to tourists according to a new official ruling that could affect thousands who normally cash in during khareef season.

The Ministry of Tourism (MoT) has moved to prevent owners of furnished residential properties leasing them on a daily or weekly basis without obtaining the required approval.

"Managing and operating tourism accommodation establishments requires licencing from the ministry and other government departments," the statement said.

"Accordingly, the ministry hereby urges all owners of leasable residential properties not to lease their properties to avoid being subject to legal accountability."
MuscatGary

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tazz wrote:

I was mainly referring to the situation faced by agency employed teachers who have the accommodation provided as part of the package. The agent I know only rents for the ten months resulting in the problem I mentioned. Don't fall into the trap of thinking that the agents/Ministries are concerned about you, they're not. For the agent you're a source of cash, for the Ministry you're a ten a penny tefl teacher who can be replaced at the drop of a hat.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Oman All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: