Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

School is providing a residence permit but not work permit

View previous topic :: View next topic  
CherriRed

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 1:47 am    Post subject: School is providing a residence permit but not work permit Reply with quote

I received a job offer yesterday to teach business english in Istanbul. The pay is 2000tl a month, 150tl housing allowance, 100tl for travel, and they reimburse me for all of my traveling for the job. They won't provide me with a work permit, but they will help me with a residence permit (that I have to pay myself). And the contract is for 11 months.

Is this pay too low to live in Istanbul? And is it difficult to get a work permit once I move to Istanbul?
Otterman Ollie

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lets see, you have to pay rent, so minimum is gonna be at least half your main salary, unless you fancy squalor, any meals provided, what about start up costs?
I would be surprised if anyone on this forum would condone you accepting this gig, you would be working illegally for starters, and that 11 months contract leaves you out in the cold, what experience and qualies have you got?
CherriRed

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a bachelor's in International Studies and I just got my TESOL certificate in February 2014. I have absolutely no teaching experience, so I think that's why he offered such a low salary.
Nebbich

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 7:41 am    Post subject: You can do better Reply with quote

I certainly wouldn't take it...the pay is far too low for Istanbul As it is, you could apply to a shitty university like Okan and get 3000 per month + all permits paid for. The work permit provides residence, but the residence permit stipulates no work and you'd have all sorts of problems...you need to provide evidence of money in the bank to get it (or a foreign exchange receipt with your name on). You won't have a bank account, so how will they pay you? It leaves you exposed in SO many ways.

You could walk into a dershane (language school) like Dilko and get better money.
delal

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 3:27 pm    Post subject: You will be 100% ıllegal Reply with quote

Hi
I'm not in IST so can't comment on the money
Without a work permit-check all the other posts related to this-you would be working illegally
Also: if the school is reliable then it will get you a work permit
If your employers don't show that kind of commitment, how can you be sure that they will actually pay you? (And there are plenty who try and get away with not paying)
spiral78

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also important to note that without a work permit, if an employer doesn't pay you, you can't logically complain to any authority Shocked Laughing
Shalana

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suspect a lot of places will do that this year - not provide a work permit because the laws have changed and people are confused - they will decide it is not worth the trouble. You would be working illegally.

I've heard Garanti bank will open accounts for foreigners, but I don't know if you have to provide proof of having a job.

You could try Okan or Beykent universities or English Time. They have bad reputations, but you could tough it out for a year to get a better wage and a work permit. British Side has a good reputation, so you could try there too.

I lived in Istanbul for 4 years starting in 2007 and I came with only 6 months experience and I was never offered a wage that low. If you shared a flat or can find rent no higher than 500 lira per month, you may find a way to survive, but why do that if you can find a better offer?
Shalana

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 5:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You may want to name this school as a warning to others.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Turkey All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: