Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Any recent recruits from South Africa to Saudi?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Middle East Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tigress

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 8:06 pm    Post subject: Any recent recruits from South Africa to Saudi? Reply with quote

Hello all,

Been doing my fair share of research for my move to Saudi. Have received some positive feedback from another teacher (non-South African) who worked for Al Khaleej. He took the time to share much of his knowledge- which is deeply appreciated.

I'm going on a limb to ask for some feedback from South Africans who've recently been recruited to teach in Saudi. Would especially appreciate those who've been recruited through Skyline and Al Khaleej, just your experiences and any advice for a new esl instructor (from South Africa) to Saudi. I've also been assigned an 'embassy approved' visa agent in PTA, while I'm in KZN, so any advice on the visa process would also be appreciated. Just started the visa process and I'm expected to leave early August.

You are welcome to pm if that suits you better.

Thank you in advance to whoever has objective input.

Regards,
nomad soul

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also think about joining one or more of the widely-diverse expat Saudi forums. Start with an Internet search on south african expat saudi.
plumpy nut

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where is PTA and KZN?
tigress

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@ Nomad soul- thank you- have been looking at such sites and blogs. It's difficult to know which ones are worth registering on as there's such a variety. I'm happy to note the consistency in the most of the content I've read so far. Smile Thank you for your advice.

@Plumpy nut- I'm assuming you are not South African, so firstly we have provinces instead of states. Then we have two different capitals- Pretoria (PTA) is the administrative capital while Cape Town (CT) is the legislative. Most embassies are in PTA, KZN is KwaZulu - Natal which is a province approximately 600 kms away from PTA.
plumpy nut

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was briefly recruited by Al Khaleej, then I never heard from them again. Not that big a deal really, just another hiring company.
tigress

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What citizenship do you have? How long ago were you recruited? How far along the visa application process did communication stop with them and were you recruited through Skyline?

Thank you.
scot47

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I heard some time ago that the Ministry of Foreign Affairs in Riyadh was discouraging recruitment of teachers from South Africa. A rumour ?

Last edited by scot47 on Wed Jul 16, 2014 12:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
tigress

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rumours start somewhere...although I was recently recruited and received my contract in less than 2 weeks.

I also know of another South African that may start during the same time as myself.

Any idea the reasons for discouraging recruitment from South Africa?
scot47

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I heard that the South African Government made a request that Riyadh stop recruiting teachers.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Middle East Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: