Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Thinking Ahead about Residente Permanente Visa

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fitzgerald

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 11:31 pm    Post subject: Thinking Ahead about Residente Permanente Visa Reply with quote

I have seen so much conflicting information on this topic, and of course the rules have been changed so old info is pretty useless, which is why I'm starting a new thread.

I'm going to be starting my fourth year teaching in Mexico in August, for a new employer. I'm going to have a two-year contract. I gather that the end of my fourth year would be time to apply for a "Residente Permanente" visa. Questions:

1) Will the fact that I've been working here for four years and am contracted for a fifth, at a fairly high level of salary (above 26,000/pesos per month every year) be more-or-less sufficient to get me the higher visa status, or will I be exactingly means-tested as well?

2) Once you have the "Residente Permanente" status, is that good indefinitely, with pro forma renewals like a driver's license, or do you get means-tested again and again? I'm turning 56 and am thinking ahead to retirement, wondering if I'll qualify to stay here when I hit that age, and if already having the "Residente Permanente" visa at that time guarantees that I will be able to stay.

If you're catching on that I'm not a wealthy guy, you're right about that. By the time I start receiving my Social Security benefit - I do hope to work until age 70 so that I can get the maximum - it will probably be in the vicinity of $1900-2100 per month. If that is not enough to stay in Mexico, legally or practically, then I guess it's on to Panama or Belize! There is no question of going back to the U.S.; I certainly couldn't afford to live there (and I really wouldn't want to anymore).
Guero1

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.inm.gob.mx/ might give you some info or go down to you loal office and ask them in person. The rules did change recently, but I am not sure how, sorry not to be able to offer any more info.
Rose Cohen

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 4:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Thinking Ahead about Residente Permanente Visa Reply with quote

Quote:

2) Once you have the "Residente Permanente" status, is that good indefinitely, with pro forma renewals like a driver's license, or do you get means-tested again and again? I'm turning 56 and am thinking ahead to retirement, wondering if I'll qualify to stay here when I hit that age, and if already having the "Residente Permanente" visa at that time guarantees that I will be able to stay.

After living in Mexico on an FM3 for three years and then a No Inmigrante for two more years, I was eligible for Residente Permanente, which I received last September. As I understand it, I won't ever have to return to INM for any sort of renewal though I do have to let them know if I move or get married or change jobs (I got my FM3 with permission to work as a free-lance English teacher).
MotherF

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 3:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Thinking Ahead about Residente Permanente Visa Reply with quote

Fitzgerald wrote:
I have seen so much conflicting information on this topic, and of course the rules have been changed so old info is pretty useless, which is why I'm starting a new thread.

I'm going to be starting my fourth year teaching in Mexico in August, for a new employer. I'm going to have a two-year contract. I gather that the end of my fourth year would be time to apply for a "Residente Permanente" visa. Questions:

1) Will the fact that I've been working here for four years and am contracted for a fifth, at a fairly high level of salary (above 26,000/pesos per month every year) be more-or-less sufficient to get me the higher visa status, or will I be exactingly means-tested as well?

If you're catching on that I'm not a wealthy guy, you're right about that. By the time I start receiving my Social Security benefit - I do hope to work until age 70 so that I can get the maximum - it will probably be in the vicinity of $1900-2100 per month. If that is not enough to stay in Mexico, legally or practically, then I guess it's on to Panama or Belize! There is no question of going back to the U.S.; I certainly couldn't afford to live there (and I really wouldn't want to anymore).

I and several of my coworkers are residentes permanentes, while I do have Mexican family, not all of my coworkers do and non has been denied the status once they met the time requirements. We make quite a bit less than you (though live in a cheaper part of Mexico), but have indefinite contracts.
INM officials have been really hesitant to give out information regarding the long term. One guy I talked to keep emphasizing that Mexican law could change at any time so he wouldn't tell me what the future had in store, even when I said--"As the law stands right now, what would I do when I retire?" I took his response to mean he really had no idea. Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Mexico All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: