Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Spanish Lessons 2014

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Mexico (off-topic)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
roadwalker

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 8:18 am    Post subject: Spanish Lessons 2014 Reply with quote

I found this: http://forums.eslcafe.com/job/viewtopic.php?t=79068&highlight=spanish+lessons while searching and it had some good information but it's four years old now and some of the links are broken.

I'm almost certain of coming to Mexico to teach English after a couple of false starts in recent years. I can get by (barely) in Spanish but I want to do better than that. My ability is always a bit less than I remember it being. I don't know where I will end up but it may be Mexico City. I'm basically interested in a milder climate and more inland than beach. So any cities or areas populated enough to have need for English teachers may fit my bill.
I should be arriving in about the middle of July. It seems like that would be a good time to get acquainted with an area or two and learn some Spanish before going full time into teaching. I haven't found work yet so I'm open to any not-too-humid, and not incredibly hot areas.

So....does anyone have any fairly recent knowledge and recommendations for Spanish lessons in:

Mexico City?

Other cities?

Off-the-beaten-path places?

Private schools, English schools, universities all okay by me. Thanks!
BadBeagleBad

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have any suggestions for classes, but I have a suggestion for something you might want to do to get some of the basics down before arriving. There is an inexpensive program called Babbel, they have a variety of lessons, including voice recognition for pronunciation, you work at your own pace and can pick and chose what lessons you do. I used Babbel in conjunction with live Portuguese classes and found it really was a great extra help. Not sure how far you would get using that on your own, but I found it very good for extra help and learning more vocabulary. It is something like $10 a month, but less if you buy a block of 3 months at a time.
roadwalker

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that, I'll take a look at it. It's been a while since I had to speak Spanish for more than a few words. So maybe a good pre-function. I'd really like a class to put me in a more studious frame of mind and also to ease into living in Mexico.
BadBeagleBad

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is the only program I know of

http://www.cepe.unam.mx/cepe.php?idioma=ing&tema=antecedentes

I think they teach in a pretty traditional, textbook, homework, etc style. I also remember someone mentioning that they liked a school called Frida, but I don't know anything about it, other than they said it mixed grammar, conversation and cultural notes as well as field trips, so you might search for that.
MotherF

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CEPE is good especially if you want some sort of official recognition.
There are some good schools in Oaxaca, the teachers tend to move around among them depending on who is offering better pay or conditions I suggest you do an internet search as you can find recent Spanish school reviews else where. Most of us either already know Spanish or don't have time for formal study.
Jultime

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll be attending spanish immersion in Quetzaltenango, Guatemala.

http://www.spanishschoolsollatino.com/en/index.php

$167 a week includes everything...one-on-one lessons plus homestay. This price beats anything I could find in Mexico.

Even with the flight from Mex City to Guatemala its still cheaper.

The director is from Holland, I've had timely correspondence with her.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Mexico (off-topic) All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: